Nissan-Navara.net banner

D22 Sub/amp install

16K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Tor4x4Erik 
#1 ·
Well here we are again! lol This is the install I fitted behind the seats on my D22. Can't really remember all the ins and out's but here goes!
First the jack mount was cut out and the holes sealed up. Back and base boards were made from mdf to tidy the bare metal up.

I had chosen two Vibe 10" subs due to size/power as I wanted good clear music than a heavy thump from a bigger sub(my two 12" Rockford's wouldn't fit in anyway!! lol) And also usuability in another future vehicle and so also went for Vibe amps to power them and the rest of the truck. I have Kenwood 6" speakers in the front doors and 6" Alpine's in the rear doors.The size of the box depends on the volume displacement of the sub(found in manual with subs) so going on a volume calculation web site for this I made the boxes. This probably took the most time as I wanted the rear seat to fit back as mush as possible as well as fit the subs and amps in!! I even cut a slot into the boxes to allow the seat frame to rest in hoping for it to go back a little further! The rear seat sits forward about 1-2inches(spaced original catch out!) but is hardly noticable by passengers or passers by! Just need to work out a locking device so they can't be stolen easily once the seat is pulled forward.

Then once everything was calculated, measured and made they were fitted, carpeted and wired up. The amps sit on metal brackets and an mdf base. The angle was measured with the sub boxes. So when the rear seat was closed it didint bash the amps and also the speaker grilles!! Well impressed with the sound and well worth the effort in my eyes!! :D

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing something similar and show you can get some good sounds in a pickup!! Obviously if you don't need two subs then it will be a lot easier with one amp and one sub! lol

See less See more
#3 ·
RUSTY what can I say.... Your a legend!

Thank you for posting it... gave me so many ideas.
Would you mind if I contact you via email about your kit?

Regards
Nico

#5 ·
Hi Rusty

Well lately I have had many ideas....
The thing is the truck is currently used as one of my security vehicles but its due for replacement mid year.
Because of the car market at the moment, Im not sure Ill get much for her even though she has loads of extras.

So I thought of changing her into a beast.. Complete sound system, massive lifting kit ect ect
I looked at probably 12 different sub kits for the nav and non looked as good as yours thats why I was so interested.

The hard part will probably be rewiring the speakers and making brackets for them.
That is the main thing I wanted to ask you about. Your speakers on the rear and front door panels. Do they fit behind the door cards or did you mount them externally. Then what amp did you run them on?

Regards
Nico

#6 ·
Hay Rusty

still looking good matey!! :afro:

You done anything else to it??

#7 ·
Hi Nico,
I have just posted separately how I fitted my front and rear speakers. Hope this can give you some more ideas and answer your last question. I run them off the smaller of the two amps behind my seats.

#8 ·
gday rusty... very impressed with your install mate,

Im about to "borrow" your idea but only with 1 pioneer slim 12" sub.

now......is it un-sporting of me to ask you the depth of your enclosure at the top and at the base?

and did the cut outs at the base make much difference when putting the seat up in the end?

thanks in advance :)

#9 ·
Hi,
I don't mind you "borrowing" my idea!! lol It should be easier with a Pioneer slim sub. I was told that they were a bit "flappy"(what ever that means!!) and don't always give a good sound! I wanted more sound quality than thump so wen't for the 8's(even though I have put 10's in the write up :oops: )

The top and bottom are about 2.5 inches and about 5.5 inches. These dimensions will depend on the working volume of your sub though. You probably wont need cut out as it shouldn't go full width of the seat, hence come inside the rear seat frame!!? Plus I wanted it to "look" right i.e. symetrical! :roll:

go to http://www.radiomods.co.nz/speakerboxcalc.html to work out the dimensions. I just kept re measuring etc until I got the size I wanted for the volume the sub needed!?

#12 ·
Hi Kallie,
If you used my avatar on a T shirt I would have to "sue" you for breach of copyright as it is a drawing I did myself!! lol So is protected under owners copyright laws!! lol Expect we could come to an arrangement though! :wink:

Hence why it is the same as my actual truck!! lol

Why do you want my truck on a t shirt anyway!?

regards Glenn

#14 ·
Rusty said:
Hi Kallie,
If you used my avatar on a T shirt I would have to "sue" you for breach of copyright as it is a drawing I did myself!! lol So is protected under owners copyright laws!! lol Expect we could come to an arrangement though! :wink:

Hence why it is the same as my actual truck!! lol

Why do you want my truck on a t shirt anyway!?

regards Glenn
Hi Glenn

I'm pretty sure we can come to an agreement just name the price mate :salute:

Why I want your truck on a t-shirt, well I like those kind of pics but can not find one of a D22 anywhere,
one can find virtually a pic like that of any car you can think of, but not a pick-up.

Cheers

Kallie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.