Nissan-Navara.net banner

Transfer Control Device and how to test/fix

46K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  lookskyward1 
#1 ·
Hi,

The other day whilst driving along, the 4x4 warning light came on the dash and the pictogram vanished. I rarely use 4WD and haven't used it for a good while so the light coming on was a bit of a surprise as I haven't used it. I turned the car off and on again (should have had a career in I.T :lol: ) and it returned to normal. It has done it again a few times since, so I would like to get it fixed.

I did a search on here and found the way to diagnose the fault from a post by g0sbv. Thanks g0sbv! :thumbright:

I get a flickering pattern of 13, which according to the manual means:

Transfer Control Device -

-Malfunction is detected in transfer shut off relay 1 and transfer shut off relay 2.

-Malfunction occurs in transfer control device drive circuit.

I have the workshop manual and it gives a reference page to look at but it means bugger all to me. Could someone please guide me on what/where/how I need to test the relays/circuit so I can identify what the issue is and hopefully fix it?

I can post the pages from the manual but didn't want to in case this would infringe some forum rules. Maybe I could PM them to someone?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
You are aware that most 4wd problems are solved by fitting new transfer switches? If one is faulty ( the wait detection switch :fingersx ) it is possible to throw all kinds of red herrings to the ECU resulting in the code you have.

If you don't want to buy the switches up front, you could remove and test each in turn. You could remove the relays to check them and open up the control unit to check it's condition.

Here are some links to help:

Switches; viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9461

Switches 2; viewtopic.php?f=47&t=33495

Switches 3; viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15866

Relays; viewtopic.php?f=45&t=35145

Control unit; http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=19436

Good luck, keep us posted

#3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply. I will have a read of the links you posted and will see how I get on. I had read on here that the witches are around £150 each. Gulp! I also read the "How to repair them" post with interest. I'll get testing over the weekend and will let you know my results.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Just started having a read of the links... interesting reading!

I'm on a night shift tonight, so might take my multi meter with me and check the relays in my break. Then I wil start on the switches over the weekend.

eBay items added to my watched list.

Thanks

#6 ·
Sorry to be a pain Lookskyward. I can read the part numbers from the photo's in your post regarding amayama trading, but I can't find a post which identifies which part number relates to which switch. I'm sure there was a post on here but my search efforts have drawn a blank. can you assist?

#8 ·
Right then,

I've tested the 4 relays and they work. I checked they engage when a power supply is connected (alarm battery) and that there is continuity to the other side of the relay once engaged. I also checked on the other two relays which have 5 blades, that one circuit is connected and then switches over to the other circuit once power is applied. All fine.

I've been under the truck and taken each transfer switch off in turn and tested them for continuity. They work in that they either don't have a connection to start with and then do when pressed or visa versa. None of them had any spots where the connection would drop/fail, so they appear to be working too. No rusty bits or obvious signs of water ingress.

I haven't had chance to do the unit itself, but will try that next.

The 4WD warning light is intermittent, but once its on it stays on until the ignition is turned off and on again. One thing I have noticed, but it maybe that I just can't hear it, is that 4HI and 4LO engage when the warning light is not on. I can hear them lock in and out when the dial is turned in the cab. However, when the 4WD warning light is on, it doesn't appear to engage as I can't hear it. Does this point to anything or is that just how the warning/fault system works to prevent any damage?

How do I test the actual cables for breaks? I did a visual around the connectors and saw nothing obvious.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

James

#10 ·
I guess that's a possible. I'll order the replacements from amayama and swap them over, then if that doesn't do the job, I'll try the relays.

Would I be correct in thinking it isn't the transfer box as it works when the 4WD light isn't on?

#11 ·
Your symptoms appear to be intermittent, The solenoids in the box might have a poor connection or a bit of muck has got in there. Having a look at the pics in the Australian thread shows how bad it can get in the back of the box itself.

Well worth pulling the plastic cover off to check :thumbright:

#12 ·
Is that an easy job to do? I can turn my hand to most things, but wouldn't want to play "hunt the cogs" as they fire across the driveway or anything.

Doesn't seem to be a how to on the forum for that?

Is it just a case of pop the cover off and clean it up?

#13 ·
We don't have any how-tos regarding the transfer control box. You could always do one :fingersx

Given that d40ryan (navara.asia forum) did it without reporting problems should give you the confidence to strip it and clean up the terminals and test the components. Well worth having a go. I know I would.

#16 ·
Well I've ordered the 3 switches from amayama trading. £53 so far, but will have to add vat when it arrives in the UK.

I'm thinking it may be one of these switches not contacting at the point it should due to wear and tear, which would make it intermittent and get progressively worse which it is.

I'll start with them, then i'll try the relays after giving the control box a check and clean if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.