It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 am
Bill Car Engineering

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My New Navara.. D40 Adventura 2006 Clutch/flywheel issue?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:45 pm 
Ticking over
Ticking over

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of info, i have just picked up my navara today and have an issue, when i first test drove it i noticed the clutch pedal was a bit stiff and also noticed a very slight judder when pulling away, also the two front tyres were worn and the sat nav button (enter/directional) wasnt working, anyway after the garage agreed to put a new clutch in, two new front goodyear tyres and a reconditioned sat nav unit i was happy picking her up today.

After being stuck in heavy traffic though i felt a slight judder again when pulling away. The clutch pedal is hugely improved now and im happy with the cltuch feel but this judder is still there. I got a three month warranty included so im going to take her back tomorrow and get it checked out but i would like to be 'clued-up' before going so i dont get fobbed off with excuses like 'All navaras drive like that'.

Firstly then is this a common thing with navaras? Ive been reading posts and generally the judder symptom seems to be clutch/flywheel issues. Im thinking that with the clutch being done maybe the original flywheel has still been used and this could be the problem?

Ive checked the warranty and although pretty much all gearbox/engine/clutch items are covered theres no mention of flywheel. but im thinking that as this was an issue i highlighted on the test drive i should have a valid point and he cant try to get off fixing it. So any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

On a lighter note though on the way back from picking up my Navara it literally just started snowing!! Good timing or what?? :awesomework

Jimmy

Nissan-Navara.net
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: My New Navara.. D40 Adventura 2006 Clutch/flywheel issue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 pm 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

You obviously may be right about only changing the clutch and not the flywheel. However, is it a judder, or does it feel like the the brakes freeing themselves. A number of members have had this, me included. Also, early Navs had halfshaft problems. Check to see if there are any oil stains on the backpates (like leaking brake cylinders). This is a sign the halfshaft seals may have gone and replacing hte seals doesn't neccesarily solve the problem long term.
I had my "brakes on" judder the same time as my halfshaft problem. I solved the halfshaft problem by putting in a 2nd hand axle. This solved the halfshaft and the "brakes on " problem but I cannot say they were all related.

Black V6 Navara
Air assisted suspension.
5th wheel in bed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:14 am 
Fully run in and going strong!
Fully run in and going strong!

It's probably the dual mass flywheel, that's what happens when the springs weaken, the two plates jump when setting off. As above, they've probably just changed the clutch.
I had a single conversion about six months ago due to the same judder, mines fine now.
Dual mass flywheel in my opinion is a brilliant idea, but in practice it's the biggest load of crap ever :lol:
Check with the garage, did they swap the flywheel or just the clutch?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:35 am 
Ticking over
Ticking over

Thanks for your replies guys, i am pretty sure it is the flywheel that is the problem as its when the car is stationary and also when pulling away at a slow speed, Anyway im going to pop into the dealership today and see what he says. Hopefully can get it sorted because i love the navara and just want to really start enjoying it!!

Thanks again will update

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Your best bet is to return it to the seller, ask them if they're going to put it right? You need to do this quickly as these type of problems can be costly, so you obviously don't want to pick up the bill for any repairs.

It doesn't matter whether it's mentioned in the warranty or not, it still has to be fit for purpose.
Hopefully they'll get it sorted for you, if not, then i'd get a refund :wink: