It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:11 pm
Bill Car Engineering

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Diff/Gearbox oil change
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:34 am 
In top gear now and still pulling!

Transfer oil type in Nissan acutely depends on the transmission type:
auto - GL4 gear oil
manual - DEXRON III.
But I recommend not changing the type of oil during the life of the transfer so use what coming out if it, in D22 it will be DEXRON III.

Nissan-Navara.net
Advertisement
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 pm 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

GreaseDonkey wrote:
Transfer oil type in Nissan acutely depends on the transmission type:
auto - GL4 gear oil
manual - DEXRON III.
But I recommend not changing the type of oil during the life of the transfer so use what coming out if it, in D22 it will be DEXRON III.

Not correct.
Dexron III and API GL-4 are both suitable for D22's, Dexron III if the truck has an easy life, GL-4 if it is a worker e.g. regular off roading or towing, or any of the other criteria as defined as harsh condition in the W/S manual.
I tow a lot therefore use GL-4 @ 75/85 viscosity, it probably started of with Dexron as did all of them.

Recomended transfer case oil changes are:
Regular/normal use 30,000m or 48 months
Harsh use, wading, desert etc or towing 18,000m or 24 months

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:22 pm 

I could not find anything in the service manual to back your comments regarding type of transfer oil and transfers are leaving the factory with oil depending on transmission type and I know that from many years servicing Nissan cars.
The deference between oils is just for one reason, for easy identification of oil leak In case of a leak between transfer case and gear case.

If someone wants to change oil type, although I would not recommend it, do a double change so old oil will not remain in the transfer case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

GreaseDonkey wrote:
I could not find anything in the service manual to back your comments regarding type of transfer oil and transfers are leaving the factory with oil depending on transmission type and I know that from many years servicing Nissan cars.
The deference between oils is just for one reason, for easy identification of oil leak In case of a leak between transfer case and gear case.

If someone wants to change oil type, although I would not recommend it, do a double change so old oil will not remain in the transfer case.

There is only 1 type of transmission in UK D22's, manual, therefore your statement re: different types is irrelevant.
The workshop manual clearly states both types of lubricant can be used, look harder.
Your claim of the only difference being to make it easier to identify a leak, are you having a laugh, I almost fell of my chair, rubbish!
I am certain Nissan never built any of their units expecting them to leak, so why make identification easy?
Lastly although you may, Nissan certainly don't recommend sticking with one oil.
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 pm 

Both types are acceptable, that is clearly mentioned but there is no instruction to use a specific type of oil depending on the usage as you claim… or is it your own personal recommendations?
TX transfer boxes are used on other Nissan models, for example Terrano, which comes with auto and manual transmission and transfer oil type is like I explain earlier and reason for that is also as explained and this a common knowledge for anyone deals with 4WD machines (not only in Nissan). I had a few leaks from transfer/transmission joint area and the fact oil type was different helped with easy finding the cause and repair it.
In the automotive industry it is common to add color for easy leaking identification.. They do it with gear oil, engine oil, coolant and so on. So no one built his car to leak but they sure making it easy for us mechanics to find the leak source when they eventually do leaks.
It is also common mechanics knowledge not to mix oil types. If it comes from factory with DEXRON, stick with this type as long as the transfer running fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:54 pm 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

GreaseDonkey wrote:
Both types are acceptable, that is clearly mentioned but there is no instruction to use a specific type of oil depending on the usage as you claim… or is it your own personal recommendations?
TX transfer boxes are used on other Nissan models, for example Terrano, which comes with auto and manual transmission and transfer oil type is like I explain earlier and reason for that is also as explained and this a common knowledge for anyone deals with 4WD machines (not only in Nissan). I had a few leaks from transfer/transmission joint area and the fact oil type was different helped with easy finding the cause and repair it.
In the automotive industry it is common to add color for easy leaking identification.. They do it with gear oil, engine oil, coolant and so on. So no one built his car to leak but they sure making it easy for us mechanics to find the leak source when they eventually do leaks.
It is also common mechanics knowledge not to mix oil types. If it comes from factory with DEXRON, stick with this type as long as the transfer running fine.

As before, crack on mate, I don't give a toss.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:45 pm 

Thank you for your response mate and I glad to know you are keeping an open mind. :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:26 pm 
Into 2nd gear now!
Into 2nd gear now!

All cool with the types and quantities but can you post up where you got it all from Woz, cause i'm havin trouble finding anything other than the Dexron II. :thumbright:

wozizname wrote:
Hi Bounce :)
Done exactly this job last weekend so have the info :clappy:
Front axle SAE 140W API GL-5 (2 1/4 pints req'd). I couldn't get a straight 140W grade but put in SAE 85W/140 grade.
Transmission SAE 75W/85 API GL-4 (8 5/8 pints req'd).
Transfer box DEXRON ATF III automatic transmission fluid API GL-4 (2 quarts).
Rear axle Hypoid LSD oil API GL-5 (2 1/4 pints).

DO NOT USE GL-4 in GL-5 and visa-versa where recommended as this will damage these units :!:
I found the front axle, gearbox and transfer box oils in good condition after 70K miles but the rear LSD oil was VERY black and burnt. This LSD oil should be changed every 36K miles BTW :shock: Also do not use any of these so called 'oil modifiers' to change gear oils into LSD oil as they're a load of shite IMO, get the right oil for the job :thumbright:

Woz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm 
Ticking over
Ticking over

If you look up Comma oils website www.commaoil.com and use their product finder tab, you can enter your vehicles reg and get all the products suitable for that vehicle. It doesnt list all the oils for a Nav but is still a usefull quick reference. Ive used it for several cars etc just as a quick check. Also Ive never had any complaints about their oils, ran many cars on it trouble free.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 pm 
Fully run in and going strong!
Fully run in and going strong!

owenpoweredaccess wrote:
If you look up Comma oils website http://www.commaoil.com and use their product finder tab, you can enter your vehicles reg and get all the products suitable for that vehicle. It doesnt list all the oils for a Nav but is still a usefull quick reference. Ive used it for several cars etc just as a quick check. Also Ive never had any complaints about their oils, ran many cars on it trouble free.

X2 :thumbleft:
Also Carlube do oils to service and match the specs for your truck here http://www.carlube.co.uk
Woz

2004 D23 Double Cab, DTE-VPC Chip, Stainless 3" Toyo sports exhaust, Monroe Adventures, Free Wheel Hubs, EGR blanked, 30mm offset maxXtrac wheels, Hankook RF10’s, 3x DVD monitors, front flip ICE, speaker up-grade, reverse Camera

Woz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next