It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 pm
Bill Car Engineering

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sluggish D22 with Terrano 2.7TD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:13 am 
Im new
Im new

Hi guys! I had a '52 plate D22 from new until it blew the bottom of the motor off at 75mph! It'd done 157,000 miles and worked hard to be fair! I found that Nissan 1st were doing a Terrano 2.7TD kit and this was put in buy a garage I was contracting to. Unfortunately the debt I got in meant I had to sell the truck; I really missed it and recently bought another one...an '04...with the intercooled 2.7TD swap already done.
Ok, so it's got the required mechanical fuel pump conversion and I'm trying to identify the pump. From info/pics on here I think it's off a 2.5 and similar looking ones on eBay are Rexel manufactured. There's what looks like a square vacuum canister on the top of it with no external pipes. Would this be an atmospheric compensator?
On my previous truck we needed to tap into the top of the intercooler to take a boost pressure hose down to the pump but that is definitely not on this vehicle. I'm told that this would have been to get the pump to fuel harder under turbo boost conditions. If this is right then I don't see that it can be happening with my new truck. Oh...I forgot to mention that it's flatter than a kipper's c*ck accelerating and going up hills!
I've made sure that it's getting full throttle and wound the throttle stop out a touch but that of course wouldn't help the low and mid range. I'm yet to adjust the fuel screw which may help but will need to watch I don't get black smoke.
Any ideas chaps?
Once sorted I'm looking at raising the intercooler to mate with the bonnet scoop seal to take advantage of ram air, this in series with a large front mounted intercooler (researching pipe sizes), fitting a cotton/wire air filter in a more efficient stainless housing with a stainless argon purged, TIG welded intake tract, a bleed screw for the turbo and a mod on the fuel pump...that quite frankly I currently forget what it was!?! The exhaust cat is of course history but ultimately I'll build a freer flowing stainless system. I do fabrication in aluminium and stainless in the aircraft and motorsport industries in case you were wondering!

Nissan-Navara.net
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Sluggish D22 with Terrano 2.7TD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 am 
Im new
Im new

Noticed a typo...fuel pump is Zexel...not Rexel!?! I now know that I need a '93/4/5 or early '96 Terrano pump off a non intercooled 2.7TD motor. Anybody know of one?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

not a clue bud but I'm sure someone on here can help 8)

Kc driving lights 150 watts a piece, 2 additional led reversing lights equal to 55 watts each Hankook 265 75 16 pipercross air filter cone type EGR blanked off, free wheel hubs S/S exhaust from the cat back no boxes and twin side outlet pipes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:27 am 
I'm now in 4th gear with power to spare!

well ive been running a 2.7 convo nav for 4 months now and i have no power probs other than the fatter tyres im running which have dulled acceleration a little , ive done 3 convo's now but bar the front mounted intercooler ive done on mine ( PM me for pics if you like snowy ) the other 2 are straight TD's and they certainly dont lack any power even with no intercooler , im interested to read you have the intercooler on top , so im wondering if they used a non-mechanical terrano engine and swapped the pump , have you checked the intercooler connections ? mine blew a pipe off a day after i'd fitted mine and it was shockingly slow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:57 am 
Im new
Im new

Hi. Thanks for the replies guys! Ok, so the motor is from a '99 2.7TD that had an electronic fuel injection pump. Matey swapped this for a mechanical pump, as is normally done, but he's used one off a non turbo 2.5 D21 by the looks of it. It therefore has no provision to increase fueling as the turbo comes on boost as there's no boost 'signal' hose facility. I've located a mechanical pump from a '94 non IC 2.7TD and will order it in the morning. I'll get it fitted next week with luck then hopefully I can progress from there into the mods that I mentioned. I've been reading one of the NZ forums and the general conclusion seem to be to fit an EGT gauge to keep an eye on exhaust temps and boost gauge and run up to 18psi boost; they seem to be getting good and reliable results. Beyond that amount of boost the turbos seem to pack up fairly soon!?!
bembo449: I'm keen on seeing your front mounted IC set up and pipe routing so will PM you...many thanks! What size pipes are you running to the IC? We can mandrel bend 2 3/8" stainless so I'm looking at that diameter as it sits nicely in the 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" range that seems to be most efficient as far as I can summize?! We can upsize and beadroll the ends to suit silicon hoses if that's needed...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:55 pm 

Not sure what size the pipework is but its an allard IC pal , think the proper fuel pump should give yours the umph its missing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 pm 
Im new
Im new

Cheers! Pump arrives Monday...fitting it next week! I got bored earlier and wound the fuel screw in half a turn and the truck seems more responsive. Couldn't test it properly on the way home as I got stuck behind a stupid little eco-box!?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:47 am 

hey mate , have you got any further with this ? completely forgot to mail you those IC pics , my bad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 am 
Into 2nd gear now!
Into 2nd gear now!

What's this fuel screw you talk of? Can someone post a picture of where it is, I've looked at the fuel pump but not sure what's what. I have the terrano 2 engine in my 03 Navara, slowest vehicle I've ever owned, but I have never driven a normal Navara so I can't really compare it to anything else.
Any helps appreciated

Thanks
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:09 pm 
Im new
Im new

Hi guys. Just got round to swapping the fuel pump over yesterday. Turns out I had the right pump all along...but the boost pressure sensing pipe on the diaphram housing of the pump had been snapped off and we couldn't feel/see that it was missing as it's tucked up under the inlet manifold! I could've TIG welded a 3/16 pipe on if I'd known!

Anyway, I'd got a Terrano manual on a CD and printed off the pump set up info...got it timed up spot on using a dial gauge in a hastily made fitting that screwed in the rear bleed screw hole. However, long story to short it runs sweetly at higher revs but didn't like to idle or pick up smoothly. After some thinking we think it's picked up some dirt in an injector or two as I'd been running the fuel tank low lately so I'm trying some injector cleaner and it seems to be improving...more later?! We also adjusted the tappets and that made a big difference to the smoother running. However this was done cold and we're going to redo it tomorrow with a warm engine.

Re the fuel screw on the old pump I'll try and get a picture for you but it faces backwards near the stop solenoid with a 1/2" nut locking a stud with a slotted end in a small hex...around 6mm or 1/4" from memory. It's a bitch to get to but I came up underneath it diagonally from the driver's side with a small 1/2" open end spanner, cracked the locknut and adjusted the stud in about half a turn, then locked it up again. You may find that you still have the anti-tamper cover still on it. Half a turn made a decent difference in drivability but did give black smoke.