It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am
Pickup Trucks Direct

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 pm 
Into 3rd gear and pulling like a train!

had an idea it may be the MAF sensor but on trip away, 800km, it packed up :cry: , was replaced with brand new, out of a 2008 model :D , i thought you beauty :D :D , economy at last. :D nope. :cry: returned avg of 15.5ltrs/100kms about 17mpg i think, not towing, cruising at about 110km/h real easy driving aircon on 50% of time. :?
reading the d40 maintenance manual obtained via download from this site, it states that bad fuel economy can be linked to a number of disfunctional sensors eg., maf sensor, fuel pressure sensor, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, turbo boost sensor etc..
seems if one is not functioning as it should the whole system struggles.
so many sensors, maybe when they all work correctly, bingo 30 plus mpg, :D when they don't, things are not so rosey. :cry:
because there are so many sensors with the potential for failure, it would be difficult to single out and identify any one as the cause of excessive fuel use (which would lead to a relatively easy fix - recall/replacement). many possibly faulty sensors + many engines = nissan too hard basket.
anyway just an idea.

nav d40 st-x 2.5 diesel auto 2.5" lift oldman emu nitro's, 4" snake racing ext. rear shacks, snorkel, 2x 240mm lightforce spots, nudge bar, rear sports bar, 265x75x16 cooper st, gps, dvd, triple batts, treg hitch, vhf, 143Lt tank, chipped.

Nissan-Navara.net
Advertisement
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:54 pm 
Into 2nd gear now!
Into 2nd gear now!

frogeye1000 wrote:
towing at up to 80mph,

and people wonder why they blow up!!

I use mine for my job as a builder and regularly go to the local quarry for a tonne of quarry bottoms and I am quite happy to go up the A9 at 80 + with that sort of load, and it still pulls like a train.....slowing downs a different matter though.

These trucks are brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:27 am 
Overdrive!
Overdrive!

Hi

I've got a manual Aventura 55 plate with 58 000 miles around town i get 26 ish mpg and 29-30 on a run (came back fron Italy 700 miles to the ferry on Saturday in 11 hours average 29.6 and plenty of 90 mph + in Germany)

Towing 6.5 m rib 1800kg it drops to 22 ish and 19 if I'm late

PS the rib does 1 mile per litre average so I don't worry about the Nav :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:35 am 

I have added a post about the trap for D40 diesel owners when changing there Fuel filters have a read here http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?t=3071

06 STX TD 6sp ,3" Mandrel System , Steinbauer Power Module , 2" Dobinson lift kit , Snorkel , Snugtop Canopy , 150L tank, Rear air bags ,Gen.Fog lights , HID everything , Projector Head lights , Hella 4000/55w/HID , Scanguage ,more coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:06 am 

My dealer has at last come back to me with an answer from Nissan. It appears that Nissan say that there is no problem with a Navara only returning 20 mpg. It appears that the change from Euro 3 to Euro 4 has caused the fuel consumption to change. Apparently extra/different filters are used to comply with Euro 4 emissions. I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phome to my dealer whilst he told me all the ins & outs of the story.

Allegedly Nissan accept that a Euro 3 Navara will do 33/34 mpg and thata Euro 4 Navara may be as low as the high teens. It appears that the Auto is worse than the manual.

Now, I am only a lowly 55 year old Motor Vehicle Engineer who has spent his whole life playing with cars, can somebody answer this question because it is baffling me.

Euro 4 superseded Euro 3 to reduce exhaust emissions. Let us presume that a Euro 4 Navara produces less carbon gases per kilometre than a Euro 3 Navara. However it can take up to twice as much fuel, (17mpg compared to 34mpg) to travel that kilometre. HOW IS THAT MORE EFFICIENT & HOW DOES THAT REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASES?????????????????

CONFUSED??? you will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 pm 

here's the wierd thing
I have brand new series 7 2007 Transits . Now - on the Motorway tickling the throttle at 58mph on the clock (which relates to a genuine 55 on the computer) i can get 52-55MPG. (but too slow as EVERYTHING passes you)
Bear with me . . . .
On the Motorway at 75mph on the clock (which relates to a genuine 70mph on the computer) it shows a huge difference and returns 32mpg.
both these have been verified with long consistant journeys of 500+ miles to validate the figs
Bear with me . . . .
Driving the Navara on the Motorway tickling the throttle at 58mph on the clock (which relates to a genuine 55 on the computer) i can get 36-38 MPG. (but it's too slow as EVERYbody passes you and gives you a 'death-stare').
But bear with me . . .
In the Navara, on the Motorway at 80mph on the clock (which relates to a genuine 75mph on the computer) it shows a huge difference and returns 26 - 28mpg.
These too have been verified with long consistant journeys of 500+ miles to validate the figs
bear with me . . . .
if you drive at an ideal 56mph (not on cruise) you will get your vehicles best mpg, but its TOO slow as you overttake nothing and even 40tonne wagons 'kick all the sh*t up in your face'
drive at 75mph which is where 75% od all M/way traffic is and you will make good progress but suffer poor economy (at speeds above that you may as well chuck a couple of quid out the window every mile. as it has a serious drink problem)
Therfore if E=MC squared and all things are equal and cats and gogs never play togather then drive at 60mph !!! - BLOODY HELL (talk about stating the obvious )
Eeeeerm, and my apologies to all the people whos inteligence ive just insulted :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:12 pm 

BTW . . . mines a manual 18,000 miles, with a closed armadillo and with cruise thats very rarely used !
But it still seems i'm getting much better that some of you guys !
My heighbour has a huge motorhome that gets 16 - 19 mpg with a full consignment of tea and biscuits.
My 1000cc V twin only gets 42mpg and weighs NOWT ! (thats bad i suppose).
zool (Mr boring Bas*ard)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 pm 

why do auto's use more fuel when they change gear automatically at 2,000 rpm and manuals tend to have there drives hang onto each gear longer and more frequantly use 3,000 + rpm .
Who Knows - who cares - who am I - where am I -what day is it.

Ever noticed how Taxi driver seem to be in the wrong gear for every corner and have to change down at the exit of every corner !!!
Well thats what driving an Auto is like !!!! Yeah, right on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:36 pm 
Fully run in and going strong!
Fully run in and going strong!

my father in laws ex taxi and he does the wrong gear it does my fruit toquey as 3.0l is he tries to leave it in top and oull outve islands at 5mph aaarrrggghhh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:29 am 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

My father in law has just chopped his L-Poo - Hundred in for a Aventura, its got a stick thing to change gear with - a manual ;)

He says hes seeing 34 MPG

theres such a massive diffeence between the manual and the auto.

THe auto does rev alot, if you put your foot down a bit it revs to 3000 everytime if its not locked out in 6th.

D40 Adventurer, Sat Nav, Leather + Heated, Auto Lights, Auto Climate Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Box. Cruise Control, BF Goodrich AT, Rear Winch, Front A Bar, 4X 140 watts S/S driving lights, Forward facing gate opener.