It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:45 pm
Diesel Chip Tuning Systems

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ZD30 engine miss
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:40 am 
Im new
Im new

Nissan Navara ST-R, D22 crew cab, 2004 build, ZD30 diesel turbo, no aftercololer (prior to common rail). Engine has done 115,000 k's

Engine misses slightly in 3rd gear and noticeably in 4th gear when engine is warm (never cold or when lugging) accelerating between 2-3000 rpm, and has been well serviced. Have done fuel filters (often) and blown back thru' fuel hoses to prove tank strainer is clear. I'm told I can't blow back thru' fuel pump nor gain access to fuel pump strainer without removing injector pump (timing cover and timing chain, about $750 to look).

"Experts" have come up with all sorts of prognosis (?), the most likely (and expensive) is to remove the injector pump and clean small strainer in injector pump (which can't be got at externally so I'm told).
This doesn't make sense to me because the symptom should be evident in all gears if it was lack (starving) of fuel. There is no evidence of any excessive exhaust smoke, clean as a whistle.

I suspect that I have a computer/chip/program problem but when discussing a chip replacement Nissan, they said it wouldn't prove anything saying that 'after-market' chips were available, missing the point completely. I asked if an analyzer would show up the problem, "it might, but in diagnosing the problem it could take 5 minutes or five hours."
I am a vet and don't have an open cheque book. A mechanic had a hand-held analyzer on it and it didn't show anything out of the ordinary.
Any ideas, I am support crew for a motor bike rider in the Australasian Safari late July and would like this glitch sorted before hand.
Gerry

Nissan-Navara.net
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: ZD30 engine miss
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:19 am 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

On the right side of the transfer case is a neutral position switch. Disconnect it, see how that goes.

If it fixes it replace that switch.

Dave.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am 
I'm now in 4th gear with power to spare!

What Dave says.

A quick test is while in 3rd / 4th try pushing the gearstick to the left / right and see if that fixes it. If it does it's definitely neutral switch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 am 
Im new
Im new

Thanks for that Dave, a little worse for wear today, so will follow up when the system is back on song and will let you know.
Gerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:52 am 
Im new
Im new

We've missed it by a mile, tried disconnecting the neutral switch, did a continuity test and it came out OK, but made no difference when disconnected. Latest from an injector service centre was to change the ECU unit with a similar vehicle, what do you think?
Gerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:04 am 
On the motorway!
On the motorway!

did you check to see that it was nutral switch you unplugged ?
the other thing is to block EGR off an see if it improves.

did any one check for air in the fuel?

new chassis, front end, drive shafts.....almost a new truck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 am 
Im new
Im new

I believe the neutral switch is the one with the two short leads forward of the 4WD switch on the transfer case, I disconnected the leads and it didn't make any difference to the miss, I have since reconnected the leads.
Yes I have already put a blank gasket (Klingerite 1000 1/16" asbestos base material, giving my age away now) on the EGR valve return to the inlet manifold, doesn't make any difference but may stop sludging in the manifold.
Did try puting hard pressure on the gear leaver last night to the right and miss appeared to dissappear, maybe wishfull tinking! Will report back tomorrow on this.
Have replaced sprung hose clips on fuel lines with more posative hose clamps to rule out air leaks as I went down this line first, I even suspected the diaphram of the hand priming pump on the filter assembly but again emphasise the miss mostly occurs in fourth gear, never 1st, 2nd or top, sometimes in third. This sort of rules out an air leak. No evidence of fuel leaking from any of the fuel connections anywhere and the hoses are all in as-new condition.
Still scratching confused nut over this one!
Gerry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26 am 

Another way to test if it's the neutral switch is with the use of the engine heat control (if yours has one).

Flick the heat switch in neutral and the engine revs will rise. Stick it in 1st/2nd and the revs will drop. Then put it in 4th and see what happens while waggling the gear stick. If the revs rise / fall then it's neutral switch on its way out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:59 am 
Im new
Im new

Will try the heat switch-waggle gear lever test and will come back. In the middle of a thunder storm at the moment in SW Western Australia and I'm at the computer not venturing too far from the lounge room fire. Maybe tomorrow.
Gerry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:30 am 
Im new
Im new

Shauney you are a gun son, I waited until the engine was warm, engaged the cold start heater and observed rev increase, observed revs drop when sellecting first or second gear with cluch in, also observed revs change when pushing gear lever side to side in fourth gear with heat switch on, we appear to be on the same wave length.
Have ordered replecement neutral switch (3 days delivery) and will reply after replacing same. I notice in my 'after-market' workshop manual that there are three balls behind the switch, do these spring out and get lost in long grass when repacing the switch?
At the moment you are regarded as a fearless leader, regards,
Gerry