Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help is appreciated.

Recently moved to Belize and own a 06 Frontier diesel YD25 DDTI from Guatemala.
It has 200k miles and a list of issues.

I'll start with what's pressing and list the rest at the bottom so you can have a laugh at my predicament.

Pressed the clutch to shift the other day and the pedal bottomed out (slowly until all the way) and I couldn't get it back in gear.
I started it in neutral and got a push. Slipped it into gear and got to a Brother-in-law's place where we called several people, a couple of them cousins who are mechanics by trade, and got one to come over. His partner immediately said the clutch went out so they dropped the transmission and I spent a grand on a clutch kit. They replaced the clutch plate, the pressure plate, and the throat bearing. They used 10w30 since they didn't have transmission fluid.
It got too dark and wasn't working right so they decided to start again in the morning. Gave me a ride home and I suggested we get the right fluid in the morning and they said they would bring some actual transmission fluid with them.
They didn't.
Got back to work the next day when the cousin asked "what was it doing when I decided to replace the clutch". I told him what it was doing and that THAT was what I told his partner, and that it was his partner that said I needed to replace those parts.

He explained that the cylinder had lost pressure and that I DIDN'T need to replace all of that.

They did something (added brake fluid to the cylinder, maybe?) and got it pressurized.

They test drove it and thought they were done.

I drove it and the check engine light is on now. I couldn't believe the loss of power. Had to downshift to 2nd gear to get up a hill I typically take in 5th. Ive been reading the interwebs and it sounds like it may be in a "limp mode", though I'm surprised it can use any gears aside from 2nd and reverse, from what I've read.

Now they're saying I "must need new fuel filters" and to go buy them and call when I wanted them to put them on. Lol. That'll be the day.

When driving it feels like its in the bottom of each gear, and I can't get to the top of the it, so I shift up and use everything it'll give me in the bottom range of the next gear only to reach the max and have to shift up and use the bottom of the next gear, and so on.
Got it home and here it sits.

Any suggestions?
I'm certain it needs its 100k maintenance done. (I could really use a list of what should've been done so I can do it)

I did have the guys replace the two alternator belts while they were into it as they looked really bad....but now, when it starts, I hear what sounds like a bad bearing in a pulley. They only had to take one off to get those belts off so I suspect I know which one it is, since it's been off and back on.

List of other issues (for your reading pleasure :rolleyes:):

A/C Evaporator coil ( behind glove box) leaks and am having a difficult time getting a replacement for. The local dealer in Belize says $5000 BZ for the part only. That's about $2500 U.S.
Drivers window won't roll down and the window is off kilter when it was working last.

The starter was just rebuilt (because I was told by an actual shop that was the issue) only to still have the issue of clicking and not turning over. They said the ring gear needed to be flipped and welded back in place, or replaced (quoted parts at $900 BZ) and one of the last "mechanics" said they told me right, that the ring gear was bad. But the other, the cousin, told me it didn't look like the ring gear was bad at all and he thought it was an electrical issue.

The washer pump doesn't and the fluid bottle fill stem is broken and taped up :confused:

The back doors seemingly unlock for no apparent reason when I drive.

The oil on the dipstick looks like molasses.

The rear shocks are shockingly weak.
Owned this for two plus years and a different brother-in-law drove and maintained it.
Maintenance must mean something else in Belize.

He did repaint it because he was driving it.
"Good paint job" must mean something else here too.

Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
Ok, so a few problems!

Firstly the limp mode. You need to find out the code which is causing the check engine light.

You can do this with the throttle pedal and a combination of presses, but it isn't easy. Best option is a cheap code reader or buy a Bluetooth OBD dongle which you can pair with an android phone (iPhones are slightly different). Or get a garage to read it.

Once you have the code the limp problem shouldn't be difficult.

There pulley squeak is probably the little bearing in the tensioner pulley or the belt just isn't tight enough.

A good service is s always a good idea!

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so a few problems!

Firstly the limp mode. You need to find out the code which is causing the check engine light.

You can do this with the throttle pedal and a combination of presses, but it isn't easy. Best option is a cheap code reader or buy a Bluetooth OBD dongle which you can pair with an android phone (iPhones are slightly different). Or get a garage to read it.

Once you have the code the limp problem shouldn't be difficult.

There pulley squeak is probably the little bearing in the tensioner pulley or the belt just isn't tight enough.

A good service is s always a good idea!
I've found the directions for How to Set Diagnostic Test Mode somewhere...I can try it but then where can I find a list of codes so I know what it means?

Also, going to the capital tomorrow, in Wifey's Honda, and intend to stop by the dealer and see what service there will cost me.

Thanks for the help.

3wp

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There is a list of fault codes on this site, but I just normally Google it!
Well, the how-to I have isn't exactly clear, and I'm not sire my truck (YD25 DDTI branded a Frontier) is able to do it.
Didn't work when I did the following to the best I could:

Didn't work. Tried it twice.

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I wasn't clear...Google it and look for the result from this forum or The Navara forum!
Okay. Paperclipped it successfully.

Now getting the code number definition is the issue.

I found this Nissan code chart....https://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/common/nissan_engine_codes_read_2.php

Here's what I got:
4 slow followed by 7 fast.... Then 4 slow followed by 3 fast.

I thought it was telling me 04/07 & 04/03.
But that's not on the chart.
Is it really 04/47?
Vent control valve?

Next post....

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aha. Navara forum won't let me past the clutch to join but I did find this...

0403 Throttle pedal position sensor
0407 Camshaft position sensor

Idk about the throttle position but they did drop the transmission and the drive shaft to the rear axle.

Can someone explain this issue to me so that i can explain it to a service person.
I say service person because I'll be taking this to the dealer.

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
Aha. Navara forum won't let me past the clutch to join but I did find this...

0403 Throttle pedal position sensor
0407 Camshaft position sensor

Idk about the throttle position but they did drop the transmission and the drive shaft to the rear axle.

Can someone explain this issue to me so that i can explain it to a service person.
I say service person because I'll be taking this to the dealer.
If you are going to a dealer, they will be able to read the codes.

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I found that I don't have a plastic shroud on my front passenger wheel well. So I can see that crankshaft position sensor. It has no boot and the wire insulation is looking brittle.
They had to disconnect that one when they dropped the transmission case so I'm guessing it didn't like it.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive tire

I checked it's plug and it seems okay.
There were a couple more plugs on the aide of the transmission case that are in as fair of condition. I'd like to get them replaced. One's clip is broke and the dirt was keeping it from coming all the way together.

I couldn't find the transmission dip tub. I've read that low transmission fluid will pit it in limp mode too. Idk what the code might be for that so idk if that's the issue.

Disconnected and redid the positive terminal connection and it's still the same.

·
Registered
06 YD25 DDTi
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
@landmannnn I found the sensor on the side of the transmission on the passenger side of the engine, behind the front wheel.
I don't have wheel shrouds apparently.
:rolleyes:
10mm bolt holding it.
If the dealership says that's the thing I should be able to replace it myself...if I can get it.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts