Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Driving the car 2 weeks ago and light on dashboard all came on and then lost power in the car. Manage to restart and then limp back to the local garage, guys did some diagnosis and took for test drive. They broke down 3 miles later. Since then they replaced both the fuel filers, crank shaft sensor, ran more diagnostics and still can't start it. Recovered to the main Nissan dealer and they have had it a week and unable to start it. They have now replaced the battery £190 and done more diagnostics £150 but can't find what issue is. They are now suggesting the fuel injectors as a first step £3965 but can't be sure that will fix it. Car has only down 40K miles and only 5 years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

·
Administrator
15,347 Posts
Hi,

Driving the car 2 weeks ago and light on dashboard all came on and then lost power in the car. Manage to restart and then limp back to the local garage, guys did some diagnosis and took for test drive. They broke down 3 miles later. Since then they replaced both the fuel filers, crank shaft sensor, ran more diagnostics and still can't start it. Recovered to the main Nissan dealer and they have had it a week and unable to start it. They have now replaced the battery £190 and done more diagnostics £150 but can't find what issue is. They are now suggesting the fuel injectors as a first step £3965 but can't be sure that will fix it. Car has only down 40K miles and only 5 years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
Firstly, welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to the relevant section.

It doesn't sound like your Nissan dealer has a lot of experience, although replacing the fuel filters is a good move.
I can't imagine why they are suggesting the injectors, they wouldn't all fail at once.

The danger is that they will carry on replacing parts at your cost until they find the problem, if at all.

Personally I would look for someone with better diagnostic skills than a Nissan dealer. Somebody like Billcar in Shrewsbury would be better bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to the relevant section.

It doesn't sound like your Nissan dealer has a lot of experience, although replacing the fuel filters is a good move.
I can't imagine why they are suggesting the injectors, they wouldn't all fail at once.

The danger is that they will carry on replacing parts at your cost until they find the problem, if at all.

Personally I would look for someone with better diagnostic skills than a Nissan dealer. Somebody like Billcar in Shrewsbury would be better bet.
So took the car back to the garage where we bought it and the mechanic there is very helpful. The fuel pump was sent to bosh to look at and it's completely wrecked. All scored up inside, said it must have been something corrosive. Then had the fuel taken out to be tested and the garage said it was bright orange. We have sent it off to be tested now but has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Thanks

Shane

·
Super Moderator
366 Posts
Wow, the Nissan dealership sound like morons. It takes 10 seconds to spray some brake clean into the intake whilst cranking. If it starts when you are doing that then you immediately rule out everything except fuelling and move on to checking if the injectors are receiving a signal (they would have been) and have pressure available. No way a failed pump should have taken any more than an hour to confirm, no guessing required.

Contaminated petrol can turn an orange colour (well, it can turn any any colour depending on what it's contaminated with). If it gets excessive moisture in bacteria can grow in it and make it an orange(ish) colour.

Contaminated fuel is a bit of a common cry by many people that in reality is very rarely the case. It sounds like it may actually be a possibility for you though. Contaminated fuel from a pump is extremely rare though. Do you regularly use very remote petrol stations that likely have little turnover therefore would often have fuel in their tanks for a long time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, the Nissan dealership sound like morons. It takes 10 seconds to spray some brake clean into the intake whilst cranking. If it starts when you are doing that then you immediately rule out everything except fuelling and move on to checking if the injectors are receiving a signal (they would have been) and have pressure available. No way a failed pump should have taken any more than an hour to confirm, no guessing required.

Contaminated petrol can turn an orange colour (well, it can turn any any colour depending on what it's contaminated with). If it gets excessive moisture in bacteria can grow in it and make it an orange(ish) colour.

Contaminated fuel is a bit of a common cry by many people that in reality is very rarely the case. It sounds like it may actually be a possibility for you though. Contaminated fuel from a pump is extremely rare though. Do you regularly use very remote petrol stations that likely have little turnover therefore would often have fuel in their tanks for a long time?
So, the fuel has come back as no contamination, so the garage have no idea why the fuel pump is so wrecked. Have now replaced the fuel pump but the engine will still not start. The mechanic has now recommend that we cut our loses and sell it for parts as further investigation is like writing a blank cheque as he has no idea what is causing the issue. Anyone ever had this issue before, would rather not write off a 5 year old car.

·
Administrator
15,347 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Shane, I would be interested to know if you got this issue resolved? I have a very similar situation on my V6 Navara.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Shane, I would be interested to know if you got this issue resolved? I have a very similar situation on my V6 Navara.
Not Good news i'm afraid. The 2nd Nissan garage could not resolve the issue even with the 3rd line support engineers. The engineer said he estimated it could cost up to 11K to fix as they would just be replacing bit by bit until they resolved the issue. Nissan themselves (not the garage) were so so unhelpful and said that would not contribute anything until the issue was resolved and completely washed their hands with it. The engineer said the most we could look forward to from Nissan could be 50% off parts once the problem was solved. ASM offered us a good price and we sold it as a non starter. Sorry couldn't be more helpful. Would never by another Nissan again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, re your Navara V6 not starting, I'mm having similar issues, it's becoming a mystery to whoever looks at it. Just wondered whether you solved your problem? Our has been a non runner since May.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, re your Navara V6 not starting, I'mm having similar issues, it's becoming a mystery to whoever looks at it. Just wondered whether you solved your problem? Our has been a non runner since May.
Thanks
Hi, no never got the issue resolved had to sell it to ASM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did finally get it sorted. Was recovered to main dealer who gave up on it after a week. I found a local guy who took it on (probably wished he hadn't as he spent a lot of time going round in circles). He bled the fuel system to the pump and was getting the correct fuel pressure on the rail but still not starting, he got a Bosch technician involved who had experienced a similar issue and he recommend changing the return feed rail that as pressure valve in it that can fail which stops all the injectors from working ( crazy to think all injectors would fail ).
Still no look so all injectors were tested, none worked until they were re-primed. (It looks like the main dealer had used some chemical and lots of cranking to attempt to start it)
Anyway all refitted and system bled. It then started but then cut out on the test drive. He then checked the tank and the fuel lines to the filter and from the filter to the pump all okay. then checked the fuel filter housing and discovered a small leak in the plastic cover which looks like it had been previously damaged by a pair of pliers or screwdriver, once replaced all working good.
Moral of the story do not trust main dealers, they caused the root cause of this issue they were the only ones who had ever opened the bonnet of this vehicle and had changed the fuel filter previously, then they could not be bothered or did not have the ability to fix it and actually made the situation worse by drying out the injectors.

·
Administrator
15,347 Posts
A typical story about main dealers. Poor service, overpriced, minimal customer service and don't even have the intelligence to read the workshop manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A typical story about main dealers. Poor service, overpriced, minimal customer service and don't even have the intelligence to read the workshop manual.
I’ve just spoken to Nissan Customer service, they offered another diagnostic test at +£500 😳
The ECU isn’t talking anyone’s language any more. Thanks for your reply, I will send on to the current garage but I have a feeling he has tried the above. Which garage did you end up using please and approximate cost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts