Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for buying a Navara, which is great and I'm excited to get a pick up. The dilemma I face is the age old story or age Vs miles but just to throw a spanner in the works, engine too. I'm torn between getting something along the lines of a 2006 outlaw 2.5 manual with nudge bar, spotties and canopy with full service history and an unbelievable 17000 miles on it. It's listed for 拢8950 but I think if the cash was on the table I'd be in with knocking at least 拢500 off it. What I'm up against is then hoping to find (not found one yet) V6 outlaw but I don't want a million miles on it nor do I want to spend a fortune.

Would I be better off going for a mint older truck with smaller engine and be able to do some mods on it straight away or hope and pray for a reasonably priced low mileage V6 to come up

I've looked into navaras to the point the word barely makes sense anymore 馃槀 so any personal opinion or experience would be appreciated

Cheers

Administrator
If you are going to use it as your daily driver then the V6 is a world away from the 2.5. Bearing in mind the list price for a V6 outlaw was nearly double that of the entry level 2.5, it isn't surprising.
I you are looking for an off road toy that wont't do many miles then the 2.5 is fine.

As for the 2006 model, I know the mileage is very low, but nine grand seems a huge amount for a 14 year old truck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I don't do that many miles. My commute is 11 miles each way on B roads. It will be getting used for a bit of off-roading. I'm in no rush to buy at the moment if that seems steep. Ideally my budget would be 拢8,000 with mileage circa 50,000. It has to be black, has have leather interior to be wipe clean and with it being the 2.5 I'd like a manual. Things like canopy, bars, lights, sat nav, Bluetooth are all a bonus depending on price/miles of truck.

Administrator
I think in general terms, the V6 is the preferred engine.

However, condition is everything - I鈥檇 take a good condition 2.5 over a battered V6. Unless you have a really strong preference for one or the other, set your budget and pick whatever tickles your fancy best for that price.

That鈥檚 what I鈥檇 do anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers joe, that's what I was kind of thinking but after seeing all the hype for the V6 that's what I fancied. Need to stick to my original budget. Will keep looking for a mint 2.5

Administrator
I don't do that many miles. My commute is 11 miles each way on B roads. It will be getting used for a bit of off-roading. I'm in no rush to buy at the moment if that seems steep. Ideally my budget would be 拢8,000 with mileage circa 50,000. It has to be black, has have leather interior to be wipe clean and with it being the 2.5 I'd like a manual. Things like canopy, bars, lights, sat nav, Bluetooth are all a bonus depending on price/miles of truck.

With such a short commute, make sure you plan regular longer motorway drives to ensure the DPF has an opportunity to burn off. I only drive ten minutes each way, but a couple times a week I have to pick up my son from school, which is 60km each way. That seems to be working for me.

Administrator
Cheers joe, that's what I was kind of thinking but after seeing all the hype for the V6 that's what I fancied. Need to stick to my original budget. Will keep looking for a mint 2.5
I don't think you will find a half decent V6 for your budget.

I would recommend that you hunt for a post 2010 model, quite a lot of upgrades and improvements from that year including 20bhp more. These are called Tekna and Visual rather than Adventura and Outlaw.

Being newer they are also less likely to have suffered from corrosion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Landmannn for a V6 I would have spent 12000 approx. But I think as my first venture into pick ups I should stick to original budget. As for getting a newer model that does make sense corrosion wise. JDO Even though my commute is short I will be using it out of work too and a heavy right foot should help with regards to dpf although at somepoint it will be something I look to remove. I'm hoping that 拢8,000 will get me something half about. Just before the snow comes is the worst time to buy haha

Registered
Personally you need to get a lot more realistic about what you need to spend having just struggled to get 7.5 for a 2012 tekna lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Popsdosh I was thinking 8 grand for a 2.5 or 12 grand for a V6. I think I'm going to stick to the 8k and keep an eye out, this was I'll have some funds for mods. I'm hoping the 8k will get me something 2010 onwards with around 50,000 miles. Some traders are commanding ridiculous prices for them considering age and mileage. The good value ones get snapped up quickly.

I've been searching eBay, gumtree and autotrader. Does anyone have any other suggestions to look

Cheers

Registered
Do you mean he needs to budget more, or less?
I thought that was pretty obvious . He is budgetting well over what is needed but then again if I was buying I wouldnt be looking this time of year because as soon as it warms up you can knock 2k off.
We were just getting rid of one that was less used and was surprised how little demand there was . I think people look through Autotrader etc and see what some are asking and think thats the price you have to pay . The woman who bought ours luckily came with the right sort of currency and didnt want an invoice :wink2:

OP are you looking in a defined area as you will get better value away from were you live.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
That's why I see plus VAT on some and inclusive of VAT on others. Thought that may have been for business owners or something. Will keep my nose to the ground, I'm not in a rush so hopefully come across a nice one. For the next month I've got a Hilux invincible which will suit me nicely

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Popsdosh, I was thinking along the same lines with regards to price being inflated especially as we haven't had the snow yet. I'm looking up to 150 miles away

Administrator
That's why I see plus VAT on some and inclusive of VAT on others. Thought that may have been for business owners or something. Will keep my nose to the ground, I'm not in a rush so hopefully come across a nice one. For the next month I've got a Hilux invincible which will suit me nicely
If you buy from a trader then you will need to pay vat, sometimes this is included in the price, sometimes not.

If you buy from a business the same applies, although they tend not to include vat in the price.

If you are registered for vat, you can claim it back or offset the vat. If you are buying for private use you will just waste 20%.

The best option is to buy from a private seller, no vat is payable. Doing that you get no trader warranty, but it should be 30% cheaper in theory.

Registered
If you buy from a trader then you will need to pay vat, sometimes this is included in the price, sometimes not.

If you buy from a business the same applies, although they tend not to include vat in the price.

If you are registered for vat, you can claim it back or offset the vat. If you are buying for private use you will just waste 20%.

The best option is to buy from a private seller, no vat is payable. Doing that you get no trader warranty, but it should be 30% cheaper in theory.
Let me let you into a secret some are not aware of any car you buy from a dealer has Vat on it and if you buy privately you are still paying a proportion of VAT as the seller will be trying to recoupe as much of their original outlay as possible which will have included VAT so you wont save 20%
I promise you that being VAT registered I get a lot cheaper vehicle by buying plus VAT than buying privately as they are never cheap enough too. I would say on average 10% if your lucky cheaper than a dealer.

Administrator
It is my understanding, unless the rules have changed, that an auto trader has to charge vat on his profit only for a car. For a commercial he has to charge vat on the selling price.

Registered
It is my understanding, unless the rules have changed, that an auto trader has to charge vat on his profit only for a car. For a commercial he has to charge vat on the selling price.
That is my point the dealers margin scheme allows for the original VAT when sold new in that the trader gives you a price that includes an element of VAT as far as HMRC are concerned that is why they only have to pay HMRC the VAT on the difference so the value of the sold car still includes 20%VAT against its residual value . It is the reason most traders offer a higher trade in as opposed to a discount so when they market the car on it shows a lower margin so they have to pay less VAT to HMRC. It is dificult to comprehend by those that dont deal with VAT regularly. Im not totally 100% sure but I think dealers can use the margin scheme on pickups as long as the seller to them was not VAT registered. Conversely if a trader sells a car they bought from a lease company for example they will have already added VAT as by convention cars are sold inclusive of VAT.

Registered
Sorry to jump in but I鈥檓 an a similar situation.
In reality what鈥檚 the difference in running costs between the 2 engines?
Is the v6 far better than the 2.5- which in itself is pretty good for a pickup?

When I mention running costs I鈥檓 not saying I can鈥檛 afford to run a v6 I鈥檓 just trying to justify waiting for one

1 - 20 of 40 Posts