Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I’ve seen the same issue in facing on NN.net, but I haven’t seen any real solution posted that helps me sort my issue. I drive a 2009 Single Cab Nissan Frontier from Japan. It has the 3 Litre D22 Engine… See attached photo. A few months ago the engine started misfiring. I’d be driving along (or idling) and the engine would cut out for a split second. Obviously the momentum of the flywheel keeps it turning over so it catches back, but it now has damaged my mounts and, I fear, parts of the drive train because of the missing while under acceleration. I can’t find out what’s wrong and the service centre told me to change the diesel pump, but everyone else tells me those pumps do not fail gradually. They tend to go bad all of a sudden. I changed both fuel filters and found there was a very small amount of water in the water trap filter, but I’m advised that it wasn’t enough to cause any negative impact.
I also had the service centre scan the computer and it is throwing the spill valve fault.
Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Landmannnn, that link doesn't bring up a post somehow... it tells me "vBulletin Message - Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scanning Completed

OK, I got the scan complete. It threw 3 codes : (0071 P-1 CAM POS SEN) (0047 CKP SEN/CIRCUIT) (0043 ACCEL POS SENSOR). However, the tech cleared the errors and they did not recur. Also, after he cleared the codes, the engine started running smoother. The 1st thumbnail is a photo of the error codes and the 2nd image is of the vitals when the engine was not running, but the ignition on.

What next? The mechanic thought that the primer pump on the fuel filter set was malfunctioning as it was easy to pump when the engine isn't running. He suggested that the non-return function was not working which would cause low fuel pressure resulting in the issue we face. I changed that this afternoon and maybe the engine is running smoother still, but certainly not correct. I've sent you a link to the video of it today:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PMS2PfCTGOLM4Aq6gAuqSMHJV5Lm4dSA

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
OK, I got the scan complete. It threw 3 codes : (0071 P-1 CAM POS SEN) (0047 CKP SEN/CIRCUIT) (0043 ACCEL POS SENSOR). However, the tech cleared the errors and they did not recur. Also, after he cleared the codes, the engine started running smoother. The 1st thumbnail is a photo of the error codes and the 2nd image is of the vitals when the engine was not running, but the ignition on.

What next? The mechanic thought that the primer pump on the fuel filter set was malfunctioning as it was easy to pump when the engine isn't running. He suggested that the non-return function was not working which would cause low fuel pressure resulting in the issue we face. I changed that this afternoon and maybe the engine is running smoother still, but certainly not correct. I've sent you a link to the video of it today:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PMS2PfCTGOLM4Aq6gAuqSMHJV5Lm4dSA

Any thoughts?
Nothing else really jumps out to me.

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello JDO, The link you sent me speaks more to the ZD30TDi. Is there a difference between that and my ZD30DDT related to the sensor location I requested?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ZD30 was vastly more common in the Y61 Patrol than it was in the D22 Navara.

Patrol4x4 Forum offer a wealth of ZD30 tech info, and I recommend you have a look here to start:
https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-litre-zd30-di-engine-71/gu-patrol-reference-bible-newbies-start-here-zd30-info-31418/?t=31418&amp=1

Edit: as I see you’re referring to your car as a Frontier, in North America the Patrol is called the Armada.
Hello JDO, Yes, the car I have is the Frontier built for the Asian Market... so it is a Frontier... However, the link you sent me speaks to the owners of the ZD30TDi while my engine is the Z30DDT. Is there not a difference between them related to the location of the Camshaft Position Sensor?

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
Hello JDO, Yes, the car I have is the Frontier built for the Asian Market... so it is a Frontier... However, the link you sent me speaks to the owners of the ZD30TDi while my engine is the Z30DDT. Is there not a difference between them related to the location of the Camshaft Position Sensor?

I’m sorry, I don’t know. There may come a point where an old-fashioned workshop manual becomes a good investment for you.

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
As far as I am aware the Patrol 3 litre diesel is a ZD30DDTi, the D22 got the ZD30DDT - the same engine but without an intercooler.

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
As far as I am aware the Patrol 3 litre diesel is a ZD30DDTi, the D22 got the ZD30DDT - the same engine but without an intercooler.

That is also my understanding, as a former Patrol owner.

The ZD30 was fitted to both Nav and Patrol in direct injection and common rail versions too - the direct injection one did not enjoy a good reputation in the Patrol community.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts