Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening people. My 2010 navara d40 is getting bad to start when it's cold. Exhaust fumes smell like unburnt fuel.
Changed glow plugs made no difference.
Nearly 13v with multimeter at battery, but when I turn ignition on and test voltage at glow plug end they are only getting just over 8v. ? Would this be the relay gone. Smoking the road out quite bad in the mornings until warm then good as gold all day.
Thanks Bill.

·
Banned
280 Posts
never ever waited for d40 to heat, just hit the key and starts straight away with no smoke even when it had been stood covered in snow for a week, sound like injectors if its that much trouble and needs heat

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Evening people. My 2010 navara d40 is getting bad to start when it's cold. Exhaust fumes smell like unburnt fuel.
Changed glow plugs made no difference.
Nearly 13v with multimeter at battery, but when I turn ignition on and test voltage at glow plug end they are only getting just over 8v. ? Would this be the relay gone. Smoking the road out quite bad in the mornings until warm then good as gold all day.
Thanks Bill.
What voltage do you get at the Battery when ignition on Not starting, while your heater plugs powered up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure on that, I'll check in the morning. Only smokes for about 30 seconds. Pretty sure in the summer it was much better when temp was a bit warmer. Ran some high quality injector cleaner through it a month ago and didn't really do much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to add, it's not actually difficult to start, it fires up as soon as the key is turned. It's just the smoke and sounding a bit rough for a bit until warm. Also glow light only ever stays on for max of 2 seconds whatever the weather. ?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Edited version!
The 8 Volts is a large drop, so could do with seeing your battery terminal voltage at the same time as heater plugs powered up.

Going on what you have said above, my theory: you'll have around 12 volts at the battery, when you have 8 volts at your glow plugs.
I believe your heater plug relay is fubar or you have a poor high resistance connection in that circuit, so basically your heater plugs are not getting hot.
( I say this because, If the relay contact has high resistance, the relay contact will not pass enough current and you will get a voltage drop. (but will show 12v plus when not connected/underload))

One other test to try, remove the common +12v from the plugs and test resistance of each plug.
Additionally, you will suss out if one or more heater plug is failing if a plug has much higher resistance. In my limited experience the general resistance of a heater plug is <0.5 ohms, I've not seen one above 1.0 ohm unless its failing. However see what all four are reading, from that it will show up any variance. You could also see what voltage your getting on the +12V common disconnected from the plugs, and then connect one plug at a time and see what voltage is present as you go on, this will prove if a plug is dragging the circuit down. Sound a bit laborious? it is easier with a friend doing ignition on/off.

When I got my Pathfinder with 16k miles on it, if I (usually my wife) started it from cold without waiting for the glow plug light to go out, the engine smokes a short while.
Hope all the above makes sense.

Moderators please delete my post before this one, Thank you

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That about about spot on, just slightly under what a new battery does. Well that exactly what both my Nissans show.
Have you done the above?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That about about spot on, just slightly under what a new battery does. Well that exactly what both my Nissans show.
Have you done the above?
Actually mine reads just lower on start up, my battery is just 6 months old. I have digital readout in the cab, I can see what the battery/charge is doing all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, turns out relay is ok all glow plugs are working fine. It was a cold morning today so i popped bonnet and gave fuel primer 5 good squeezes and bingo on start up no missing no smoke. Any ideas as to what's up the creek anyone. ? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
If pumping the primer fixes it, the problem is air being drawn into the system.

Go to that guide I posted for you and read about the fuel filter. While you are changing it check the condition of the hoses at the filter that they are not hardened or drying out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any update on this?

I am having exact same issues with a 2010 Pathfinder. Currently exploring the glowplug / timer route. My issues started immediately after a fuel filter change. Starts badly, lots of white smoke for a few seconds and then lumpy until warm after which all is OK. Gets worse as temps drop at coolant 16 / 17 degrees.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts