1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

P1021 - Injector Cyl No 2 Shorting To Ground
P102B - Unknown Trouble Code

Seems to only come on when driving. If codes are reset on idle they will not come back regardless on how many restarts.

When turning the switch to 4wd mode the menu stays in 2wd. Even if restarting the car.

Is it possible that these codes are related to 4wd mode switch, shift actautor or something along the lines?

The car seems to run fine apart from that.

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
I think they aren't linked.

Probably not going into 4x4 because there is a problem with the actuator or control.

P1021 is a boost actuator fault, I don't think it is an injector fault.
Have a read here

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
On a different forum somebody found a resolution. There is a problem with that fault code, it seems to have a few different meanings

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New 4wd switch solved the issue temporarly. Took about a week and now the new switch has burnt out as well...

There is a smell in the car, first I thought it was coolant from leaking heater core. But perhaps its an electrical issue going on here?

Anyone had issues with burining out 4wd switches?

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
Similar issues in this thread.

We've seen before that issues with the 4x4 system can prevent the abs, TC and cruise control from working.

I would suggest starting with the transfer box that you use the trouble diagnosis on this to find and cure the faults.
It is possible that it is as simple as one of the limit switches on the tbox (a common fault)

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nissans report:

Confirmed 4x4 switch innop
Scanned and found p1827 clutch pressure fault, carried out diagnosis procedure
Fault internal to transfer case
Requires new transfer case
Topped up fluid level

Unable to smell burning smell

Traction control inspected and found rear abs on diff installed incorrectly
Switched and tested all ok

Seems like im up for a new transfer case, this can be done without pulling the gearbox out, im hoping? Just pop the drive shaft off and dismantle the transfer case under the car?

·
Administrator
17,173 Posts
They haven't said whether the problem is with the transfer box itself or just the the electrically operated actuator. Maybe they didn't know.

I assume you are going second hand, in which case I would swap the actuators over first to see if that does it

The transfer box bolts to the back of the gearbox so both propshafts will need disconnecting, but yes, you can do the job without removing the main gearbox, there's a fair amount of space to work under there.

Random question, Aussies call a propshaft by the term tailshaft. What do you call a front propshaft? Front shaft? Front tailshaft?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weird that nissan couldnt smell the burning smell, I can smell it straight away. It perhaps seems to dissapear after driving it for a while.

I will pull the shift acuator out first and see if I can troubleshoot it...
Yep will go second hand, I will probably buy a complete transfer case with acuator regardless as a complete transfer case is not that expensive.. but swap the acuator out first.

Not sure to be honest, I'm Swedish so its even more confusing for me... I did a clutch job previously and couldnt remove the bolts holding the tailshaft to the rear diff. So I ended up dismantling the uni-joints.. big nightmare to do under the car. I ordered the wrong uni-joints because of the confusion with the thermology. Anyway I now refer the main drive shaft - between gearbox and diff as tailshaft which seems to be called propshaft in the repair manuals. Transfer case to front axle im not sure, id probably just call it 4x4 drive shaft to be honest haha...

Aussies have a lot of their own thermology, I used to work for a remote controlled excavator manufacturer and was used to the manufacturers part names.Got all sort off slang for parts from customers.. bit confusing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One step forward and one step back...

Replaced only the transfer case as Nissan recommended. The smell is gone but im now getting p1818 and p1819 togheter with blown trans cont 2 fuse.
I managed to put it back up side down first... the car was then locked in 4wd. I now Turned it back the right way however it was a bit of pain to get it back until I reliesed you are meant to take the rod off from ransfer case first. No need to touch the 14mm nut on the actuator.

The transfercase/gear box also makes a bit of noise/shakes upon start up. But then disappers.

Is it possible to put the rod back on a half turn out?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Na apart from putting it upside down you can’t.

does anyone know what the trans con 2 fuse translates to in the manual?

im worries that this burning smell and burning switches has damaged the wiring.

with the actuator lever dismantled I don’t get any error codes nor burnt fuses

I was thinking of unplugging all the sensors on the transfer case and plugging them back in one by one and hopefully find which harness to chase up

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just get me stumped when it says trans cont 2 part time 4wd in the lid for the fuses. But when you head to the manual it’s numbers.. can’t find any translation sheet but I believe it’s fuse 58 or 59

1 - 20 of 38 Posts