Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been looking at getting a catch can and further buying a blanking plate kit for my Ute.
The kit includes 3 plates and what appears to be a small (say 75mm long) hose. I’m just wanting to know with the 2012 d40 if we have to do anything electronic as well as installing the blank plates and hose as I know with other cars you need a device that tricks the car into thinking the egr is working.

Thanks as always
Nathan.

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
I suspect the hose is to allow you to bypass the cooler.

Often if you blank the EGR you will get a code after a few hours driving. If you do the easiest method is to drill a 8mm hole in the blanks at each end of the egr pipe.

The EGR can be deleted from the engine ECU or you could buy a specific harness, either will be $150.

By the way, quoting the Navlife site below, this information is misleading.

"EGR delete kit eliminates the EGR pipe totally for a D40 and R51. With the EGR modification, D40 and R51 produces 15% more torque from 1000rpm. Also an improvement in fuel economy of about 5%"

The EGR closes at around 1000rpm, so you only get those improvements below 1000rpm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect the hose is to allow you to bypass the cooler.

Often if you blank the EGR you will get a code after a few hours driving. If you do the easiest method is to drill a 8mm hole in the blanks at each end of the egr pipe.

The EGR can be deleted from the engine ECU or you could buy a specific harness, either will be $150.

By the way, quoting the Navlife site below, this information is misleading.

"EGR delete kit eliminates the EGR pipe totally for a D40 and R51. With the EGR modification, D40 and R51 produces 15% more torque from 1000rpm. Also an improvement in fuel economy of about 5%"

The EGR closes at around 1000rpm, so you only get those improvements below 1000rpm.
Thanks again. That was exactly the site I found the information on. I found the wire harness on a site chiptuning.com.au for $88 au so I’m going to go that way. It says the loom connects into the air intake box. Has anyone tried one of these looms? And are they actually effective? I have seen one on a mates prado along with a catch can and after a few initial oil changes his oil after 5,000kms is like new (I have seen it) so this is the way I want to go for longevity of my nav.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 2012 d40 manual tekna I have a blanking plate and a catch can fitted , no warnings or lights have come on over 2 years , all I will say is that I have emptied the catch can 3 times and all that is in it is a tiny bit of condensation water in the bottom , I wonder if it really does anything.

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
I have 2012 d40 manual tekna I have a blanking plate and a catch can fitted , no warnings or lights have come on over 2 years , all I will say is that I have emptied the catch can 3 times and all that is in it is a tiny bit of condensation water in the bottom , I wonder if it really does anything.
The Australians swear by them, although I am unconvinced too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Australians swear by them, although I am unconvinced too.
From my research the weapon of choice seems to be a prevent 200. I have seen tests where people have used more expensive ones but when they drain them they get very little. The provent seems to pull around 170ml on a schedule service on most of the reviews. The way my truck is running atm I’m happy to try almost anything to avoid new injectors!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts