Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that 1 of the pistons has snapped the tip off the glow plug and caused a bit of damage to the motor, was just asking for advice on the best way to go forward in fixing it as $$$ are tight. Would it be cheaper to get a rebuilt motor put in or rebuild the broken 1. Thank you in advance. Also has anyone ever heard of this happening before.

·
Administrator
11,702 Posts
Welcome. When you get a minute of you could post up a brief introduction In the introductory section.

Not a common issue. Without stripping it down it is hard to say what damage had been done, I suppose if the bores haven't been scored the engine might be fine to run as is.

A piecemeal replacement of parts might be cheaper if little damage, but could end up being very pricey if there is quite a lot to repair.
A recon engine won't be cheap, a used engine is a risk.

Tricky to advise, personally I would find a garage who can investigate the damage using a boroscope without stripping it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Just found out that 1 of the pistons has snapped the tip off the glow plug and caused a bit of damage to the motor, was just asking for advice on the best way to go forward in fixing it as $$$ are tight. Would it be cheaper to get a rebuilt motor put in or rebuild the broken 1. Thank you in advance. Also has anyone ever heard of this happening before.
Never heard of that before . The pistons are never in a position to do that .More likely damage caused trying to remove the glow plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. When you get a minute of you could post up a brief introduction In the introductory section.

Not a common issue. Without stripping it down it is hard to say what damage had been done, I suppose if the bores haven't been scored the engine might be fine to run as is.

A piecemeal replacement of parts might be cheaper if little damage, but could end up being very pricey if there is quite a lot to repair.
A recon engine won't be cheap, a used engine is a risk.

Tricky to advise, personally I would find a garage who can investigate the damage using a boroscope without stripping it.
Thank you for the reply, and the mechanic has said pretty much the same thing, the dammed if you do or dammed if you don't scenario. The cost of stripping down to find how much damage and then parts on top could be close to being the price of a new motor basically, so now its just a case of how much to spend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard of that before . The pistons are never in a position to do that .More likely damage caused trying to remove the glow plug.
Thank you for your reply, and my thoughts exactly, but when it died thought it might have been the timing chain had slipped, never went near the glow plugs, but in hind sight probably should of.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Thank you for your reply, and my thoughts exactly, but when it died thought it might have been the timing chain had slipped, never went near the glow plugs, but in hind sight probably should of.
Even the timing chain slipping cannot cause a piston to hit a glow plug only valves.
If the mechanic removed the glow plug in the investigation it will have happened then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before stripping down to see if it can be rebuilt check part availability.

I bent some rods in a Ford diesel and needed two rods and two piston... neither were available from Ford as a spare part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So again, many thanks for replying and after speaking with the mechanic I was politely told that the glow plug was never damaged by them so I have now taken it to another mechanic and he has stripped it down to find out that the number 4 cylinder had blown and caused so much more damage, (sorry first mechanic but maybe you should not have been rude about it) still not sure on how that happens but anyway need to get a motor for it. So thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before stripping down to see if it can be rebuilt check part availability.

I bent some rods in a Ford diesel and needed two rods and two piston... neither were available from Ford as a spare part.
Thank you for replying and yeah just found out the severity of it and need to replace the motor as the number 4 cylinder blew and did a whole lot more damage. Thank you for your help.

·
Administrator
11,702 Posts
Hopefully you can find a good used engine without it costng the earth.
Quite reasonable in the UK as the rust had killed many D40s, probably harder where you are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully you can find a good used engine without it costng the earth.
Quite reasonable in the UK as the rust had killed many D40s, probably harder where you are.
Thankfully have done, and not that it's cheap but in total it's costing about $5500 Aus dollars, but I need a car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts