Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owned this for the last 12 months, with few issues (the intercooler was changed a fortnight ago but even that wasn't causing too many issues). A mobile mechanic has just done a service, oil and filters, the truck was running fine afterwards and I started it a couple of times (whilst trying to figure out how to reset the service warning spanner). Wandered off to check the internet for further instructions for the spanner reset and when I returned 10 minutes later and tried to start it there was a half-hearted attempt to turn the engine over followed by lots of clicking. I have checked the battery and it's not low (around 12.5v) but cleaned and retightened terminals anyway. Again half-hearted single spin followed by lots of clicking.

My best guess is that for some reason the starter motor pinion has got stuck in the engaged position. Can't find where the starter is located as want to give it a decent whack with a hammer.

If that doesn't work I am looking for other suggestions as to the root cause, please!

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Owned this for the last 12 months, with few issues (the intercooler was changed a fortnight ago but even that wasn't causing too many issues). A mobile mechanic has just done a service, oil and filters, the truck was running fine afterwards and I started it a couple of times (whilst trying to figure out how to reset the service warning spanner). Wandered off to check the internet for further instructions for the spanner reset and when I returned 10 minutes later and tried to start it there was a half-hearted attempt to turn the engine over followed by lots of clicking. I have checked the battery and it's not low (around 12.5v) but cleaned and retightened terminals anyway. Again half-hearted single spin followed by lots of clicking.

My best guess is that for some reason the starter motor pinion has got stuck in the engaged position. Can't find where the starter is located as want to give it a decent whack with a hammer.

If that doesn't work I am looking for other suggestions as to the root cause, please!
Welcome to the forum.

It is very unlikely to be an engagement problem.

Either low voltage at the starter or the starter has failed. Low voltage is much more likely.

I would put the battery on charge overnight as the first step (the no load voltage doesn't tell the whole story)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you got that right. Jump started and running fine. Battery is presumably shagged, first cold night last night and battery almost 8 years old. Picking up a new one tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts