Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have noticed an oil leak over the last week on the driveway.
Three days ago I went through and degreased the underside of the Navara, and gave it a clean.

Noticed a few more spots over the following few days, but couldn't locate at the time (was away and couldn't get my head underneath far enough).

Gave it another clean, and an hour drive and I have managed to throw it up on stands once home and get a look.
Leak is definitely around the sump "gasket" seal, which is literally just gasket seal (appears to be the norm with this model). On having a good in depth look, nil oil or leaks flowing from higher than the sump seal.

This is what I have found between the sump and the diff/gearbox? Not knowledgeable on that side of things, I am more electrically minded so correct me if wrong. The gap in the middle of the circle you can easily fit a screwdriver into, so quite a solid gap, and you can see this is where the fluid is coming from in regards to leaks.

Thoughts? Gasket sealant and good to go, or?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, I have noticed an oil leak over the last week on the driveway.
Three days ago I went through and degreased the underside of the Navara, and gave it a clean.

Noticed a few more spots over the following few days, but couldn't locate at the time (was away and couldn't get my head underneath far enough).

Gave it another clean, and an hour drive and I have managed to throw it up on stands once home and get a look.
Leak is definitely around the sump "gasket" seal, which is literally just gasket seal (appears to be the norm with this model). On having a good in depth look, nil oil or leaks flowing from higher than the sump seal.

This is what I have found between the sump and the diff/gearbox? Not knowledgeable on that side of things, I am more electrically minded so correct me if wrong. The gap in the middle of the circle you can easily fit a screwdriver into, so quite a solid gap, and you can see this is where the fluid is coming from in regards to leaks.

Thoughts? Gasket sealant and good to go, or?

View attachment 64774

View attachment 64775

View attachment 64776

View attachment 64777
Either from rear engine seal or from front gearbox seal .. you can check the nature of the oil is it from engine or from gearbox
Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either from rear engine seal or from front gearbox seal .. you can check the nature of the oil is it from engine or from gearbox
Thanks

Hard to tell as recently changed the oil, will have to wait until I get some more leak to determine.

In the image below, the gap itself is where the red line is, is this a normal gap/hole, and thus the sump is still sealed or is this indeed a gaping hole in the seal of the sump?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disregard, not a gap - can see a bolthead in the gap, so it's just a metal piece that seems to cover an existing bolt channel. There appears to be sufficient sealant around the sump seal/crease itself, and the fluid is more golden then the black oil.

Have degreased again, more detailed around this area to see how it goes. Fluid that is leaking appears to not be oil, potentially transmission fluid but will see how it goes after tomorrows travels.

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
It does look like that sump has been off before, as there's more sealant on the outside of that than in my mother in laws makeup bag, anyway are you checking the dipstick to see if your engine oil is dropping also check gearbox oil level.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look like that sump has been off before, as there's more sealant on the outside of that than in my mother in laws makeup bag, anyway are you checking the dipstick to see if your engine oil is dropping also check gearbox oil level.
Partner will be back later this morning and will look at levels then, nil drops overnight however post-clean.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No gasket in this place
You can know the type of the oil by checking the color of the leak and the smell
If you are experience in the oils you will know before dissembling the gearbox from engine
First clean well and check the source as I mentioned above.
Thanks

Two one hour drives and some very very small amount of oil around the lower end of the sump gasket seal, as in brush finger over and very small remnants left behind on finger.

Nil drops, dribbles or runs.
Definitely oil, golden brown.

Will leave for next oil change to reseal between the sump pan and engine, as next service is at 160,000kms (currently at 154,000kms).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone happen to know or have access to the torque settings for the sump pan back onto the engine body?

Yet to do this, but making sure I have it all good to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leak ended up getting worse, and so elected for a full sump pan drop and gasket reseal. Posted in the How To for those interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts