Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon,

Been having an issue on and off for a while now, white smoke (over last three weeks) and a strong diesel smell when standing beside car/idling for the last few months.
Vehicle is a 2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300, running a YS23DDTT with 148,000kms.

The moment that started it all, going by the days happenings:
  • Accidentally used Low Sulfur Diesel, but didn't think anything of it
  • Used a trailer that may have had dodgy wiring
First issue was the following morning, large plumes of white smoke on acceleration up an incline shortly after starting.
On scanning with scanning tool, found P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit A code.

Over the last few weeks, I have checked/fixed/replaced the following:
  • Checked glow plug relay with test light, three of the four plugs were not lighting up
  • Checked actual glow plugs, three out of four were indeed not glowing at all
  • Purchased and replaced with genuine Nissan replacements (this made the issue better, less smoke but still present, less strong diesel smell)
  • Used down to 1/8 remaining of the full low sulfur diesel, then filled with premium diesel from reputable station
  • Fuel cleaners through fuel system to try and clear the junk (turbocharger cleaner, and complete fuel system cleaner)
  • Run that tank down to 1/2, and replaced the fuel filter (running better, but still white plumes on acceleration and diesel smell)
This is where I am currently, sitting at half tank still and going to try in the morning as it is Winter here in Australia currently, down to about 6 degrees celsius over last week.

Have checked glow plug relay/module, is receiving input on ignition, earthed well, plugs still lighting on test light.
Have checked air filter and wiring, nil issues. Have checked fuel filter, and wiring, nil issues there.
My only other concern is that the glow plug indicator coil on the dash doesn't light up at all, but it looks as though in the manual this is an optional extra? It is there in the instrument cluster, but I have never seen it light up.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,301 Posts
Seems you have done all the right things. Is the code clear now?

My other thought is perhaps it could be a faulty injector. Taking them out and getting them treated and ultrasonic cleaned might be worthwhile.

Just checking that you are sure that it is out of warranty?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems you have done all the right things. Is the code clear now?

My other thought is perhaps it could be a faulty injector. Taking them out and getting them treated and ultrasonic cleaned might be worthwhile.

Just checking that you are sure that it is out of warranty?

Code is clear, erased and hasn't returned. Unsure if the glow plug was part of the issue, and not the actual issue itself if that makes sense.
Definitely out of warranty unfortunately.

Injector wise, is there a way to test at least partially myself at home? And would there be a code for the injector if it was faulty?

It is hard to describe the colour of the smoke, it's not strictly milky white but again not dark grey/black.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you YouTube injector test you can see a method using coke bottles.
Caution advised though,
Any other thoughts on a cause? I was thinking maybe the remaining smoke is the fuel cleaner/low sulfur diesel having the solvent effect and getting rid of debris?

·
Administrator
13,301 Posts
I can't think of anything else that would cause too much fuel, but worth a good check on the intake to make sure there are no leaks.

Just to be sure, it isn't going through a dpf regeneration?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Good shout re. DPF regen. Quite possible and could last for much longer than expected if the truck isn't happy with conditions.

Also, I would be keen to do as Landmannnn suggests. Check all intake air system next.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't think of anything else that would cause too much fuel, but worth a good check on the intake to make sure there are no leaks.

Just to be sure, it isn't going through a dpf regeneration?
Not entirely sure, the D23 usually does the regeneration itself when driven for a certain time period at the speeds suggested, and if it isn't able to do this usually illuminates the DPF warning light, but hasn't done so as yet. In saying that though, with COVID-19 it hasn't really been driven for longer periods of time, and usually not at the speed it usually uses for regeneration (80km/hr).

In terms of intake system leaks, what should I focus on in regards to this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good shout re. DPF regen. Quite possible and could last for much longer than expected if the truck isn't happy with conditions.

Also, I would be keen to do as Landmannnn suggests. Check all intake air system next.
Could it be resulting in this white smoke/grey smoke issue for three weeks now?

Air intake system, tips of what to look at?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
DPF regen. is just something easy to eliminate before going deeper.

All pipe work from the turbo to the engine should be checked for pressure leaks, including the Intercooler.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DPF regen. is just something easy to eliminate before going deeper.

All pipe work from the turbo to the engine should be checked for pressure leaks, including the Intercooler.
Not something I have fitted on mine in terms of manual regen, vehicle is an automatic regen however no DPF warning light on, so unsure if would be the issue and can't force it?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
I think elimination of the slightest boost loss in pipework/intercooler should be ruled out first. It costs nothing to do, and is a very common cause of excessive smoke.
How does the truck feel, does it still pull the same, any sign at all of lack of power, or change?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I think elimination of the slightest boost loss in pipework/intercooler should be ruled out first. It costs nothing to do, and is a very common cause of excessive smoke.
How does the truck feel, does it still pull the same, any sign at all of lack of power, or change?
Black smoke if lack of air ,white smoke is unburnt fuel usually a faulty injector not spraying the correct pattern. If it was mine the injectors would be checked before wasting any more time . At the end of the day if you keerp pumping unburnt fuel through the DPF it will be damaged beyond regeneration + the CAT.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No noticeable lack of power, was slower to start in the first instance when it first started but since glow plugs done that has stopped.

It really is just the smoke itself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Black smoke if lack of air ,white smoke is unburnt fuel usually a faulty injector not spraying the correct pattern. If it was mine the injectors would be checked before wasting any more time . At the end of the day if you keerp pumping unburnt fuel through the DPF it will be damaged beyond regeneration + the CAT.
I think the struggle I am having is it definitely isn't as "milky white" as it was before I changed glow plugs over, and now it is more of a grey but as it is my only car it makes it hard to look back.

Essentially, car is fine when starting now, with little to no smoke.
Under load, up an incline it will smoke, with what appears to be grey/white smoke.
This will continue to the top of the incline, and then once over that will go away again.
The incline itself is taking off from a ferry used to cross over the river, so loaded, engine off.
Engine then back on after five to ten minutes, and then straight up the incline which at low tide can be quite substantial.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, a couple of videos as diagnosing over the internet can be difficult.

Incline with smoke:

Engine Start Up:

General Engine Idling:

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Black smoke.....
.....regeneration + the CAT.
I always avoid asking users to define exact colour of smoke, because someone's grey is often perceived by others as white. But hey, thanks for the breakdown anyway, Pops!!

This is strange. No other symptoms is the confusing part. I'll need further thought on this. These type of faults, as like many others forum based, are so difficult to remotely judge.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Start up and running sound sweet.

I'd suggest you monitor your engine oil level. Smoke looks blue to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always avoid asking users to define exact colour of smoke, because someone's grey is often perceived by others as white. But hey, thanks for the breakdown anyway, Pops!!

This is strange. No other symptoms is the confusing part. I'll need further thought on this. These type of faults, as like many others forum based, are so difficult to remotely judge.
I think the glow plugs may have been part of the issue, but not the full issue - hence even after replacement, still had some smoke.
I can't for the life of me find any other reason, concerns, faults etc.

I should add that we are in Winter now, and the ferry we take off from is quite low below sea level.
In saying that, it is a forty minute trip in total, with fifteen - twenty minutes of travel either side.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts