Nissan-Navara.net banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
All good news really then.

I would think that oil is still burning off, and yes, idle is always better for allowing it to pool/gather.

The biggest problems when over filling a diesel engine with oil, is that whilst the crank is submerged in oil, beating through the oil as the engine runs, causes bubbles in the oil. This aerated oil can't be pumped efficiently, or lubricated efficiently. This causes extremely concentrated hot spots at various locations, roasting parts.

The fact that oil is still burning, is a very slight concern, but we need more time to see how it progresses. It still seems like you may have got away with it.
Thanks for your input and time on it all, I definitely understand the issues with it, found my self in the depths of YouTube for a while there looking at similar situations. Oil still seems to be burning, though the car has done barely any driving at all in the last week, other than one or two very local shop runs and one run to the airport and back.

Will keep monitoring, and see how it is over the next week whilst I am home.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
That's exactly it. You have done all you can for now, so we can wait until you have covered a few more hundred miles and see where you're at.

If you had a VAG diesel, the engine would have probably seized solid! So far all good!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
That's exactly it. You have done all you can for now, so we can wait until you have covered a few more hundred miles and see where you're at.

If you had a VAG diesel, the engine would have probably seized solid! So far all good!!
Had a bit of a drive today, not sure whether it is to do with now having new oil, or whether I am listening too intensely now that I am paranoid. Had taken the power off the car for a few hours to do an ECU reset as it suggested doing do after having made considerable changes in the car, not sure if it was pointless or not.

Took a video of the engine at start-up, as well as a quick reverse down the driveway and drive off video.
Would appreciate if you could listen to these, and let me know if you hear anything off?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Seems to sound ok.

There was some strange creaking/clicking noises on start up, but I think they are not related, nor do they sound serious.

It can take 600 miles or more for all ECUs to learn and adjust all transducers and sensors after a reset.

Sounds ok for now!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Seems to sound ok.

There was some strange creaking/clicking noises on start up, but I think they are not related, nor do they sound serious.

It can take 600 miles or more for all ECUs to learn and adjust all transducers and sensors after a reset.

Sounds ok for now!
It's the first start up I have had a issue with, which was bizarre.
It has been starting easily prior to this, so unsure on that one.

Gave the MAF sensor, and electrical sensor a clean this morning.
Changed the air filter over also, to a good quality Ryco one.

Will keep an eye on it all then, sounds like ECU may need to learn again.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
There are many ECUs which will have to learn again!

Indeed, just keep that keen ear tuned in, look out for any other strange noises and symptoms, just as you are.

Things seem ok.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
There are many ECUs which will have to learn again!

Indeed, just keep that keen ear tuned in, look out for any other strange noises and symptoms, just as you are.

Things seem ok.
Just did a longer run today, to see if I could get some of the potential excess oil burnt off. Drive went well, no smoke visible and no issues on mountain climb and then highway 80km/hr +. Drove above 80km/hr for roughly twenty to twenty five minutes so should have been ample time for a DPF regen if it wanted to do one.

Pulled into a store to grab some lunch, turned the car off, grabbed some food and then jumped back into car. Sat on idle briefly (five minutes or so) noticed the ?smoke again from the rear through the side mirror, in video as below:

Decided now would be the time to capture the smoke from another angle, straight from the tailpipe. Video is as below, but really can’t see any smoke at all:

Confused as all buggery, can see from side mirror but can’t see straight on at the tailpipe. However, in looking back at video can see reflection of rainbow streaks on the bitumen of the car park. Will post image shortly.

·
Administrator
13,314 Posts
If my theory was right, you might have an injector feeding too much diesel. Has the oil level in the sump gone up?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
If my theory was right, you might have an injector feeding too much diesel. Has the oil level in the sump gone up?
No noticeable increase since dumping the overfill and refilling, hasn’t moved. Not a whole lot of driving in that time however, so may not be indicative.

Would the diesel addition explain the smoke at idle, and the resulting finding on the bitumen?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
I honestly think this situation is going well.

Since you have been uploading videos, this smoke seems to be clearing.

If the issue was simply overfilled engine oil, we have no idea whatsoever of any prospective damage which may have been caused without more symptoms.

It looks like oil rainbow and not diesel rainbow on the tar.

The vehicle seems to be running nicely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I honestly think this situation is going well.

Since you have been uploading videos, this smoke seems to be clearing.

If the issue was simply overfilled engine oil, we have no idea whatsoever of any prospective damage which may have been caused without more symptoms.

It looks like oil rainbow and not diesel rainbow on the tar.

The vehicle seems to be running nicely.
I found videos was the best way to show what I meant at each stage, and it does show a trend like you say.
This morning is the first usual run using the ferry in a while, where it is usually the worst, so will see how that goes and film also.

Some things noticed over last week or so (mainly since ECU reset):
  • Some increased roughness at idle but this could be simply because I am more aware while keeping an eye out for changes, no misfiring or similar to go along with it, idles at 750-800.
  • Since the ECU reset, the glow plug indicator light that was non-existent at the start of all this is now illuminating for a short period on cold morning/evening starts, so that's good.
  • Since the new air filter the turbo spool is more pronounced, and spools evenly without any audible issues.
  • ECU reset did mean losing fuel economy stats, the best has been 9.9L/100km since the ECU reset.
  • Much easier starts, no hesitation (could be related to nil issues with excess oil creating resistance).
Will post again later today with video and update, hopefully all of this will help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Alright all, this mornings drive was pretty close to the worst it has been.

Have booked and dropped it off to the local Nissan Service Centre, and have put a few videos below to show where it is at now. They are pretty booked up, but will update with how it is all going once I hear back from them. Videos show leaving ferry, idling at home and the drive to the Nissan Service Centre.

Acceleration uphill after leaving ferry:

Idling at home, after school dropoff:

Drive to Nissan Service Centre:
2016 Nissan Navara Driving Smoke from Rear 2

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Last two videos I felt I was actually driving the vehicle following you, in that lovely sun, radio on.... ahem, sorry.

Yes, smokey indeed. Although the truck sounds nice, you're probably doing the right thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Last two videos I felt I was actually driving the vehicle following you, in that lovely sun, radio on.... ahem, sorry.

Yes, smokey indeed. Although the truck sounds nice, you're probably doing the right thing.
Its been a great winter thus far, cooler temperatures but the sun shining. Good old Australian winters.

Definitely smokey, and the most smoke there has been since the beginning of the saga. Hoping Nissan can give me an update tomorrow, last I heard was they were looking at doing a manual regeneration and then oil/oil filter change post-regeneration. But again, trying to fit it in between the other bookings.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Lovely weather with you, I am deeply envious.

Please keep us informed of progress, as you always do!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Bit of an update:

Been with Nissan now for two weeks, has had manual regeneration done, as well as a professional DPF clean as the manual regeneration didn't fully do the job. DPF reinstalled, better but still smoking.

Today, Nissan Technician has been going through all the sensors and solenoids to try and identify why it is still producing smoke, expecting to hear back more tomorrow afternoon. Sounds to be some bizarre issue Nissan isn't familiar with, so the plot thickens.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They are probably foxed because the workshop manual doesn't tell them what to do.
Could be oil starting to pass the valve stem seals causing the smoke this won’t be picked up with a diagnostic scanner, Regarding the dpf the control unit will carry out a auto regeneration when the soot content in your dpf gets to a certain level,

61 - 80 of 95 Posts