Nissan-Navara.net banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
They are probably foxed because the workshop manual doesn't tell them what to do.
Potentially, inititally they thought it was DPF only, but they are now being more thorough. I believe they have the "master technician" looking into it now, along with the workshop foreman.

Could be oil starting to pass the valve stem seals causing the smoke this won’t be picked up with a diagnostic scanner, Regarding the dpf the control unit will carry out a auto regeneration when the soot content in your dpf gets to a certain level,
Yeah, auto regen failed by the sounds of it, hence the manual. After the manual, there was still plenty of buildup hence the professional clean using DPF chemicals and pressure.

Will hopefully find out more today, missing the Nav that's for sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Potentially, inititally they thought it was DPF only, but they are now being more thorough. I believe they have the "master technician" looking into it now, along with the workshop foreman.

Yeah, auto regen failed by the sounds of it, hence the manual. After the manual, there was still plenty of buildup hence the professional clean using DPF chemicals and pressure.

Will hopefully find out more today, missing the Nav that's for sure.
If you’ve got oil contamination through your exhaust into the dpf the manual regen can fail, What happens during a regen the engine control unit puts a signal to the injectors to inject more fuel which burns off the excess soot in the dpf, Looking at the marks on the tarmac from the exhaust it looks like oil contamination to me. Cheers,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
If you’ve got oil contamination through your exhaust into the dpf the manual regen can fail, What happens during a regen the engine control unit puts a signal to the injectors to inject more fuel which burns off the excess soot in the dpf, Looking at the marks on the tarmac from the exhaust it looks like oil contamination to me. Cheers,
Okay, makes sense but what does that mean from here? Is there something I need to be doing, or they need to be doing?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Okay, makes sense but what does that mean from here? Is there something I need to be doing, or they need to be doing?
I take your vehicles still under warranty, Your dealer will carry out all the diagnostic checks first, They can carry out injector testing with the injectors in situ it’s a hub reading test, Same as engine compression testing which can be done with the diagnostic tester without removing the injectors, If you’ve got oil passing into the compression side of the engine passed the valve stem seals the only way it can be checked is with a strip down which will be there last course of action.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I take your vehicles still under warranty, Your dealer will carry out all the diagnostic checks first, They can carry out injector testing with the injectors in situ it’s a hub reading test, Same as engine compression testing which can be done with the diagnostic tester without removing the injectors, If you’ve got oil passing into the compression side of the engine passed the valve stem seals the only way it can be checked is with a strip down which will be there last course of action.
Out of warranty unfortunately. Shall see what they do today, I’m expecting a call from them this afternoon with an update.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Out of warranty unfortunately. Shall see what they do today, I’m expecting a call from them this afternoon with an update.
Bad luck m8 could cost you a bit of money, Keep us updated with the final outcome it’s always good to know for future reference, Cheers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Alright, bit of an update.

DPF manual regeneration, and professional DPF clean done, still smoking.
Technician has then swapped in another DPF for testing, still smoking.
Confirmed not the DPF as the issue, blocked DPF simply a symptom of something else.

Technician has then taken DPF off, and run vehicle to listen for any abstract sounds, and subsequently felt a splash of raw diesel. Technician has removed injectors, and put in test ones and woolah, no smoke.

Now waiting on parts from interstate, due to be fixed and ready for pickup tomorrow.

Grand total of $5950 AUD, for the fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That has got to hurt.
Definitely not a pleasant hit, but after almost four weeks without the vehicle I just want it back.
Will update tomorrow afternoon once it is back as to if the issue is indeed fixed.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
My goodness. I am glad to hear you eventually got this sorted.

Just goes to show, watch oil levels people. Overfilling is just as bad as under filling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
All fixed and back in my hands as of yesterday evening.

$5950 AUD total.

All related to low sulphur fuel, and indeed the oil overfill.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
We're glad to hear it.

Thank you for the continuous updates. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
We're glad to hear it.

Thank you for the continuous updates. Very much appreciated.
No worries, hopefully it can help someone else if they come across the same. Big test is tomorrow morning coming off of the ferry, see if it’s all sorted in the main place it always blew plumes of smoke.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Indeed. If only everyone simply came back with results. You have continually updated too - so handy for others, and building a strong diagnostics forum.

Good luck tomorrow's test.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Indeed. If only everyone simply came back with results. You have continually updated too - so handy for others, and building a strong diagnostics forum.

Good luck tomorrow's test.

Bit of an update, Navara hasn't skipped a beat since. Not one puff of smoke, and what I thought was a normal diesel rattle is gone (turns out its the dreaded injector rattle instead). Expensive fix, but she is sorted ready for the joys of COVID-19 lockdown haha.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts