Nissan-Navara.net banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Navara D23 NP300
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Start up and running sound sweet.

I'd suggest you monitor your engine oil level. Smoke looks blue to me.
The little hesitation on kicking over, normal? Sort of kicks, then kicks fully on if that makes sense.

As for running, no issues, if anything it is quieter then it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
1,164 Posts
I'm not so sure to be honest. I'll require further pondering. I can't understand how the glow plugs could possibly effect this.

Remember to monitor engine oil level.

·
Super Moderator
1,164 Posts
The little hesitation on kicking over, normal? Sort of kicks, then kicks fully on...
Yeah, seems normal. This is just overcoming initial compression.

This can change from start to start. Simply because it takes a good few miles to charge the battery after crank amp drain, changing the available cranking amperage minutely on a healthy battery. But still, seems like no issue here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm not so sure to be honest. I'll require further pondering. I can't understand how the glow plugs could possibly effect this.

Will definitely check level on returning from usual school drop off this morning, and see where it is at.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah, seems normal. This is just overcoming initial compression.

This can change from start to start. Simply because it takes a good few miles to charge the battery after crank amp drain, changing the available cranking amperage minutely on a healthy battery. But still, seems like no issue here.
Legend, cheers.

Just trying to nut it all out as I work FIFO, so need the car running good for the family while I’m away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Alright, been for a drive this morning, checked the oil level when hot and has been on level surface for ten to fifteen minutes.

Results of two "dips" as below:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Additionally, video of start up in approximately 10 degree celsius weather, with temperatures dropping to 9 degrees celsius overnight:

Also, foggy morning but this morning leaving ferry:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Alright, been for a drive this morning, checked the oil level when hot and has been on level surface for ten to fifteen minutes.

Results of two "dips" as below:

View attachment 64339

View attachment 64340
UPDATE - Pulled 5.7L of oil out, and replaced with 3L or so, dipstick reading much better now, and will do a fresh measure once I have done this afternoons school run to check it is all good. Also out through LiquiMoly Diesel Purge into fuel filter, will run that through this afternoon also. Air intake all looks fine, no leaks or loose connections.

·
Super Moderator
1,164 Posts
I think you have located your problem. According to the pictures of the dip stick, looks like the engine was way over filled. Be careful running any engine with too much oil.

1mm or so above the max is OK, but just 10mm above could destroy your engine. You want to maintain the level in the middle of the marks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think you have located your problem. According to the pictures of the dip stick, looks like the engine was way over filled. Be careful running any engine with too much oil.

1mm or so above the max is OK, but just 10mm above could destroy your engine. You want to maintain the level in the middle of the marks.
Latest oil change and filter change was done by the local garage as the filter cap had been destroyed by previous owner trying to get the cap off, so I didn’t even think to check it until you mentioned it.

Oil looks to be within the limits of the dipstick now, but like I said I’ll double check once I have done this afternoons run to see where it is at after that. Would the oil level as it was explain the smoke? And now that it has all been corrected, what do I need to watch for/do?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Latest oil change and filter change was done by the local garage as the filter cap had been destroyed by previous owner trying to get the cap off, so I didn’t even think to check it until you mentioned it.

Oil looks to be within the limits of the dipstick now, but like I said I’ll double check once I have done this afternoons run to see where it is at after that. Would the oil level as it was explain the smoke? And now that it has all been corrected, what do I need to watch for/do?
As above thats most likely the cause and the reason you have been seeing slight improvements is because you have been burning off some of the excess evey trip .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As above thats most likely the cause and the reason you have been seeing slight improvements is because you have been burning off some of the excess evey trip .
Should I be doing anything now, or just let it burn off now I have dumped and refilled within parameters?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It will burn off but may take time .
No worries, will give it time to do its thing.
Still waiting for this tank of fuel with the fuel cleaners to make its way through, but that will take time.

Oil dipstick after afternoon run, is as below. Car was warm/hot at the time:

One thing I have noted, is it seems to give smoke when idling at traffic lights for a long period of time, when sitting at the gate waiting to board the ferry, and definitely an increase in smoke on accelerating up the incline which is quite close to 40-45 degrees in angle. Video below of sitting at idle for extended period of time:

However in the video below of another gentle incline, with no smoke present on increased acceleration and then same but decline. Again no smoke.

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
It is possible that a leaky injector or a dpf regen has let too much diesel in the engine and filled the sump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It is possible that a leaky injector or a dpf regen has let too much diesel in the engine and filled the sump.
What does that mean in terms of what I need to be looking at / doing?

Are you saying that the increase in oil level could be related to diesel mixed in?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Yes indeed the oil level needs monitoring over the next few days always being checked in the same place . If the level rises its most likely back to a bad injector . DPF regeneration on a NP300 is achieved by fuel introduced at the DPF .

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
What does that mean in terms of what I need to be looking at / doing?

Are you saying that the increase in oil level could be related to diesel mixed in?
Yes because a bad injector leaves unburnt diesel in the cylinder of which a percentage will find its way down past the rings. Its the only logical answer .

·
Administrator
12,985 Posts
Yes indeed the oil level needs monitoring over the next few days always being checked in the same place . If the level rises its most likely back to a bad injector . DPF regeneration on a NP300 is achieved by fuel introduced at the DPF .
I stand corrected, I thought the D23 used overfuelling for the regen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yes because a bad injector leaves unburnt diesel in the cylinder of which a percentage will find its way down past the rings. Its the only logical answer .
So looking ahead, the smoke should ideally lessen each drive until none.
I should be looking and monitoring the oil level over the next week or so, to ensure no increase in level?

If an increase, likely to be a bad injector? As I head away for week from tomorrow, is it safe to have the car run in that time?

21 - 40 of 77 Posts