Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There I am reasonably new to this forum but have gleaned lots of helpfull information here and would like to share this potential disaster waiting to happen. I have just bought this 2017 D23 Navara Tekna 25400 miles and while checking it over for its 2nd mot in a few weeks I discovered the genuine Nissan Towbar was rusted through !!!! The problem is caused by the standard Nissan exhaust blasts straight on to the drivers side of the towbar and actually causing it to heat up and accelerate the rusting process massively, the surface rust on the rest of the chassis is really poor for a car of this year and mileage. I toyed with the idea of taking it back to the Nissan dealer to complain but thought I would be wasting my time, it has just come back from Nissan after a full service, rusty brake pipe replaced and health check !![brake fluid reservoir cap was missing and diesel spilt all over the engine compartment] I have also had to change the front discs and pads which were in a very poor condition but never picked up, no mention of the towbar. The fix for the tow bar now seems to be the end of the tail pipe will be cut back allowing me to fit a 45degree bend to reroute the exhaust gases [ebay swathed 60mm 45degree bend £13.75] and remove towbar and cut off rusted sections and reweld, this towbar is 70mm square tube. If you do a lot of towing heavy loads please check your towbar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are probably right, I'am so used to fixing things myself I thought it would'nt be worth it. Its obviously a poor design on the part of the exhaust but I would have thought other owners would have had the same problem. I will give them a call

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phoned Nissan and was told the tow bar would be an accessory and would only have a 3 year warranty so no joy there, back to fixing it myself. He did say when newer towbars were fitted a heat shield would be fitted at the same time, so I presume there might well be Navara's running about with there tow bars in a dangerous condition like mine.

·
Administrator
14,275 Posts
Worth other members checking.

I would be tempted to contact DVSA and report Nissan, they have a process for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have reported the towbar to DVSA and will let you know there response. Thanks for your advice Landmannnn, although this problem will be fixed on my car there might be a good few others who might not catch it in time and the bar fail

·
Registered
100 Posts
That seems a like a terrible amount of rust to accumulate over just 3 years ,firstly when did you first notice the rust , because i'm a fond believer in a stitch in time saves 9, , Do you have rear mudflaps on your Nav because all the salt on your roads gets thrown up under your vehicle and accumulates in all the nitches and crevasse , a good set of Mudflaps will stop most of this , I looked at my 2018 Nav and found the tail pipe at least 1.5'' below the towbar and as clean as the day i installed it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi There, yes your car looks remarkably clean and the exhaust is clear of the towbar. Newer models have maybe had the exhaust extended. I have just bought this car and yes there is mud flaps but it is the exhaust that has caused the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts