Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I put my 2012 d40 manual in to 4 wheel drive I can barely pull away because of a loud clunking grinding noise from underneath, it sounds like a spline slipping, but really bad, I did have a lot of play in the rear uj on the front prop so I changed both , I’ve checked both front drive axle’s for play but they’re good, only done 60000 miles , I’m hoping someone has had this issue,
Tanks in advance for any advice

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
The transfer box has a type of chain inside.
Just a guess, but if somebody has driven it on the road in 4x4 for many miles, the chain has probably stretched and is jumping cogs.

i would remove the front prop, if no change then it will be the tbox.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transfer box has a type of chain inside.
Just a guess, but if somebody has driven it on the road in 4x4 for many miles, the chain has probably stretched and is jumping cogs.

i would remove the front prop, if no change then it will be the tbox.
Now that you’ve said it , the noise could be a chain slipping on a cog, love my d40 but the 4 wheel drive system limited to off road use only is a major design fault imo, sometimes there’s a need for off road driving and tarmac a second later, if it is the transfer case does that mean a replacement or is a repair possible?

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
No doubt that the Pathfinder almost identical transfer box with a viscous coupling is a better solution. The merits (or not) of the almost obsolete tech of leaf springs, drum brakes and part time four wheel drive have been discussed at length!

The goods news is that you can pick up tboxes second hand relatively cheaply - should that turn out to be the fault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts