Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 ('57 Plate) Navara D40:

Sometimes amber 4WD warning lamp stays on when ignition switched on - and remains on, and the LCD axle diagram disappears, with no 4WD functions available via the rotary cab switch.

Then, everything normal when ignition switched on again after a stop or next day, then repeats itself sometimes a lot, and sometimes never - during the day. However, always stays in the same state with ignition still on (good OR bad mode!)
I have renewed all 3 OEM transfer box switches, and checked the fluid for contamination.... following advice gleaned from previous posts....
still no difference - any ideas please???

Many Thanks,
Simon.

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
The 4wd system also takes signals from the ABS sensors on each hub. The sensor wires can get easily broken and some members have had problems with corrosion on the cable joints/plugs.

Got to be worth a look and put on an ABS diagnostic meter.

Hi Simon, I see you did not get replies to your previous post, it would help if you visited the 'Introduce yourself 'section and tell us more about yourself and your truck. You'll get a warm welcome and more members will be willing to help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your quick responses, I have not long had both front hubs/bearings replaced by the dealer... I suggested that something may have been disturbed since it was not happening before this, but was informed this was very unlikely - I wonder whether the wires may be broken or something then? They could not spot anything with the diagnostics, but it wasn't in a bad mood when they had the truck and behaved itself of course!
Yes, I will go and introduce myself as you suggest lookskward1.

·
Administrator
13,430 Posts
You say 4wd does not work. When you try it can you hear the motors trying to engage? Might have to turn the engine off but leave the ignition on to hear it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This may be useful for other members:

When the amber 4WD light was on, and the LCD axle display disappeared again, I my ’57 D40 to the dealer again for diagnostic check. I had changed the 3 transfer box switches with Nissan OEM parts, but this had made no difference.

Success! The diagnostics showed that the Gearbox ECU was faulty – this is located in the cabin, near the clutch, up on the left hand side – the unit is silver, about 6” square, has a large ‘J3’ stamped on it and is Nissan Part No. 33084 3X42A.

Bad news: around £1200 from Nissan!!! :jawdrop

Good News: found one (but only one) on eBay for £150 from a salvage company, with 30 day guarantee.

Decision time… do I drive 90 mile round trip to dealer to replace OR do I risk bloody knuckles and swearing to do it myself – just four very small star drive screws, the top two are pretty inaccessible, and two multi-pin connectors to the base?

·
Administrator
13,430 Posts
Just be a bit careful about diagnostics reports, I dont't know about this one but they can often give out error messages which are a bit generic...it might not be the ecu...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed... thank you for your thoughts... I have just replaced this ECU, which was actually easier than it looked with two 10mm screw bolts into a bracket... and guess what??? Same again with 4WD light on again for 1st couple of tries, but seemed much better after that, being much swifter to change between ratios at standstill than before... will have to see what the next few days bring... :/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 4WD - Amber Warning Light On, No 4WD...

Just wondering whether this might help, since I have changed the Gearbox ECU? Anyone tried this?
(Apparently taken from this site originally, back in 2009)

"Go for a run to take engine to operating temp thenturn everything off and shut doors keeping them shut don't know if it makes a difference but thats what they say on the site

Turn ingnition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds

PUMP accelerator pedel 5 times within 5 seconds....

with foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedel for 10 seconds...

Atfer 10 seconds the Engine Managment Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

the Nav is now in diag mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. the press and hold the acclerator pedel down for more than 10 seconds..this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc......and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!!

Fire up and go for a run 5-10 miles"

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 4WD - Amber Warning Light On, No 4WD... SOLVED!!! :)

SOLVED AT LAST!
Relays next to the air filter box (there are 4 that control the 4WD system).
Problem hasn't resurfaced - I am a very happy little trucker again!
If anyone wants pics or part numbers, I'd be happy to help.
Also, I now have a spare Gearbox Control ECU (for sale on eBay) and the 3 notorious switches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Simon,
what colour is your truck? Was it the red one that was at Aitchisons garage this morning when I passed?
I'm in Duns, had my grey 2010 Navara for about 2 weeks now.
Jim

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Re: 4WD - Amber Warning Light On, No 4WD... SOLVED!!! :)

djastral said:
SOLVED AT LAST!
Relays next to the air filter box (there are 4 that control the 4WD system).
Problem hasn't resurfaced - I am a very happy little trucker again!
If anyone wants pics or part numbers, I'd be happy to help.
Also, I now have a spare Gearbox Control ECU (for sale on eBay) and the 3 notorious switches.
Well done for getting it sorted and thanks for updating your post, it will prove helpful in the future. :thumbright:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there,

I have the same problem on my 08 Navara - 4WD light comes on after about half an hour driving - sometimes I can get it to go out again by switching between 2H and 4L and back again, so I'm guessing it's an electrical fault on the relays as well - any pix helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, yes I have heard many people say it's one of the 3 switches on the transfer box, but mine turned out to be the relays located in the box behind the air filter - sorted permanently now after much messing about changing the 3 transfer box switches, and even the transfer ECU under the dash first.
Hope this pic helps, the two blue transfer relays are part number 25230-9F920 and the two black transfer relays are 25230-79982 (A06 30 A2C). Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I put my Pathfinder in 4lo to see if it was easier to get up my ramps at the weekend when doing an oil and filter change.

When I started the engine and reversed off the ramps the traction control/stability control lights were both on and 4lo was flashing!

Also there was no beep when turning the 4wd selector.

I tried disconnecting the battery which did nothing to help then drive it slowly round the block then did an ECU reset.

After the reset just the one light was on, the one with the switch on the dash (ESC?)

Drive away and within ten metres all was well.

I must admit I don't think there would be such issues with a simple lever! Like on the L200!

From my experience I would try an ECU reset.

In much the same way as I attempt to sort out a dodgy computer I am a firm believer in switching things off and on again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the ECU reset is helpful- however I found the problem with the 4WD Relays just kept being re-detected once cleared.

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
djastral said:
Hi, yes I have heard many people say it's one of the 3 switches on the transfer box, but mine turned out to be the relays located in the box behind the air filter - sorted permanently now after much messing about changing the 3 transfer box switches, and even the transfer ECU under the dash first.
Hope this pic helps, the two blue transfer relays are part number 25230-9F920 and the two black transfer relays are 25230-79982 (A06 30 A2C). Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the ECU reset is helpful- however I found the problem with the 4WD Relays just kept being re-detected once cleared.

So, on this ECU reset - I tried it and what I got was the flashing ECU symbol on the dash.... quick quick quick, then slow slow slow.

No idea what that means or how long you're supposed to leave it for. Might help if I had a Workshop Manual!

As far as these relays go, what's the difference between the black ones and the blue ones? What do they do?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts