Nissan-Navara.net banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, on this ECU reset - I tried it and what I got was the flashing ECU symbol on the dash.... quick quick quick, then slow slow slow.

No idea what that means or how long you're supposed to leave it for. Might help if I had a Workshop Manual!

As far as these relays go, what's the difference between the black ones and the blue ones? What do they do?
It might be worth trying a 'Hard Reset' - I think the flashing you mention apparently tells you any four digit fault codes ie 10 flashes = 0, and 1-9=1-9.

Also, if you open the relay box, it gives you a brief description inside the lid of what each relay does - but I don't remember it being much more that '4WD Trans System' or something similar.

These relays are only around £20 each direct from my dealer and to date has solved my problem completely. I found this out from Blackshaws Nissan in Alnwick are a family dealership who unbelievably honest, non rip-off and expert in practical D40 know-how (believe it or not!).

·
Registered
34 Posts
It might be worth trying a 'Hard Reset' - I think the flashing you mention apparently tells you any four digit fault codes ie 10 flashes = 0, and 1-9=1-9.

Also, if you open the relay box, it gives you a brief description inside the lid of what each relay does - but I don't remember it being much more that '4WD Trans System' or something similar.

These relays are only around £20 each direct from my dealer and to date has solved my problem completely. I found this out from Blackshaws Nissan in Alnwick are a family dealership who unbelievably honest, non rip-off and expert in practical D40 know-how (believe it or not!).
The blue ones are Transfer Self Shut Relay (£36 from Nissan - £4 from local auto electrical business who sourced a similar Hella configuration!!). The black ones are simply Transfer Relay. Not sure what the difference is between the two mind you.

I originally only tested the blue ones, with assistance from said local auto electrical company. When I read back through this thread, I noted that the black ones were transfer as well, so tested them. They are fine as too. But bizarrely, after then driving it home, parking, driving again and reversing into my drive, then starting her back up - the fault has gone and the transmission icon (the one that tells you if you're in 2 or 4wd) is back where it should be.

I haven't tried putting it into 4-Hi for fear of the fault coming back. But really odd eh? I wonder if just the fact the transfer relays were taken out, has reset the system. I didn't do an ECU reset in between all of this.

It's was initially booked into Nissan dealership to diagnose the fault. I'm assuming the fault code may still be there. Not sure whether to take it in or not (£96 charge for diagnosis). I'm still a bit concerned that when it had the fault, it would turn it into 4-Lo but not back again. But then that was maybe due to the error being in situ. Now it's gone, perhaps it'll be fine - as long as I declutch when choosing 4-Hi then 4-Lo (which I don't think I did before).

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Wow, that's great you've got everything looking right. :awesomework

I think given what you have done already the Nissan diagnosis is just money down the drain. The diagnostic method they would use is already posted in one of the links I sent you before.

Try the 4wd system out on a loose surface. (where wheelslip can occur).

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, that's great you've got everything looking right. :awesomework

I think given what you have done already the Nissan diagnosis is just money down the drain. The diagnostic method they would use is already posted in one of the links I sent you before.

Try the 4wd system out on a loose surface. (where wheelslip can occur).

Keep us posted.
Took it onto loose ground earlier tonight, engaged 4Hi and even before I moved, the 4WD error warning light came on.

Took it home, took out relays and then starter her up - warning light gone.

I've yet to test the solenoids so will do that tomorrow. Bloke I bought it off said they were fine as he'd tested them. But that was before I had driven in 4Lo without declutching, so maybe they've been screwed up, or maybe he was lying and he didn't actually check them.

What am I looking for again if I did the ECU reset? Do I just leave it to flash the hell out of itself on the dash and it'll eventually stop?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Testing the solenoids right now. Back one seems ok. Depressed I get continuity (or the beep on the multimeter).

However, the two that are side by side (further forward on the box). They offer up continuity as soon as they touch the multimeter (ie, they are opposite way round and have continuity whilst in fully extended position).

Is this right?

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Testing the solenoids right now. Back one seems ok. Depressed I get continuity (or the beep on the multimeter).

However, the two that are side by side (further forward on the box). They offer up continuity as soon as they touch the multimeter (ie, they are opposite way round and have continuity whilst in fully extended position).

Is this right?
Yes it is, but read my reply in your other thread.

http://www.nissan-navara.net/27-technical-assistance-d40/48458-transfer-box-solenoid-testing.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The blue ones are Transfer Self Shut Relay (£36 from Nissan - £4 from local auto electrical business who sourced a similar Hella configuration!!). The black ones are simply Transfer Relay. Not sure what the difference is between the two mind you.

I originally only tested the blue ones, with assistance from said local auto electrical company. When I read back through this thread, I noted that the black ones were transfer as well, so tested them. They are fine as too. But bizarrely, after then driving it home, parking, driving again and reversing into my drive, then starting her back up - the fault has gone and the transmission icon (the one that tells you if you're in 2 or 4wd) is back where it should be.

I haven't tried putting it into 4-Hi for fear of the fault coming back. But really odd eh? I wonder if just the fact the transfer relays were taken out, has reset the system. I didn't do an ECU reset in between all of this.

It's was initially booked into Nissan dealership to diagnose the fault. I'm assuming the fault code may still be there. Not sure whether to take it in or not (£96 charge for diagnosis). I'm still a bit concerned that when it had the fault, it would turn it into 4-Lo but not back again. But then that was maybe due to the error being in situ. Now it's gone, perhaps it'll be fine - as long as I declutch when choosing 4-Hi then 4-Lo (which I don't think I did before).

Any thoughts?
Hope this helps: When I had my problem with this I discovered that it was intermittent... disappearing for a few days then coming back, so it would test as fine by an auto electrician at this point.
I also discovered that the relays are like a gate, and get stuck open or shut when they are malfunctioning. So, I changed the most likely one as informed by the dealer - it worked and has never come back. I believe this is the best option so even if you changed all four transfer relays it would be comparable to just a diagnosis from your dealer, or just £12 from the other source you mentioned? Then, a ECU reset would be advisable - just the soft reset was what I did, to clear the fault code etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, I changed the most likely one as informed by the dealer - it worked and has never come back.
Which relay did you change, as I have exactly the same problem that you've experienced. One day it's fine, the next it's not & I've also changed the transfer box sensors & oil

Richard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Which relay did you change, as I have exactly the same problem that you've experienced. One day it's fine, the next it's not & I've also changed the transfer box sensors & oil

Richard.
Hi Richard,
I have enclosed two pics to assist, for location & close up.
The BLACK RELAYS are both Nissan OEM Part Number: 25230-79982
The BLUE RELAY are both Nissan OEM Part Number: 25230-9F920

I bought all four at the time (I must have been flusher than I am now!), as I needed to solve it fast. I can't remember which one actually solved it, but it may have been the black 25230-79982 top left. Blackshaws Nissan Alnwick told me at the time if you want to give them a phone on 01665 602123?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, perhaps I'm being thick, but where's the Transfer Control Unit situated? I see the black ECU on the drivers side, but isn't that the overall Engine ECU? It has a part number 23710-EB310 and the transfer ECU I'm looking at on ebay is completely different (in fact, they all are).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191419935815

The ECU on the left hand side (o/s) of the wing is contained in a black box. Do I need to remove it and magically find that there's a different number on the silver ECU?

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, perhaps I'm being thick, but where's the Transfer Control Unit situated? I see the black ECU on the drivers side, but isn't that the overall Engine ECU? It has a part number 23710-EB310 and the transfer ECU I'm looking at on ebay is completely different (in fact, they all are).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191419935815

The ECU on the left hand side (o/s) of the wing is contained in a black box. Do I need to remove it and magically find that there's a different number on the silver ECU?
Also gents, I've just ran the diagnostic and am getting 4wd flashing light 11 and 13 times.

Am I right in saying that's 'Actuator Motor' and 'Transfer Control Device' fault? If so, bit vague isn't it? What to check now? I've 3 switches on order and have 2 shut off relays from a breakers yard that I can get sent up (not paying Nissan what they want which will be about £40 each!).

Arrrgh. This is doing my head in!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine came on whilst driving back from a job in Dartmouth yesterday. Sunny and I was doing about 65-70 on the A38 so didn't notice until I pulled off the slip road.
Cue me getting annoyed and booking a check up at the main dealer for Monday.
Left the truck for a couple of hours then drive to see my daughter and no light. Started ran and no issues.
Have had my ABS light on since a brake pad change but to be fair I've been ignoring that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Mine came on whilst driving back from a job in Dartmouth yesterday. Sunny and I was doing about 65-70 on the A38 so didn't notice until I pulled off the slip road.
Cue me getting annoyed and booking a check up at the main dealer for Monday.
Left the truck for a couple of hours then drive to see my daughter and no light. Started ran and no issues.
Have had my ABS light on since a brake pad change but to be fair I've been ignoring that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the ABS light is on the 4wd system doesn't always work, so fix the ABS issue first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I seem to have to exact same problem as you - I've changed all 3 switches but stil no joy.
Where did you find your replacement 4WD relays?
Cheers,
Max.

·
Registered
2007 navara outlaw
8 Posts
Im having the same problem as above, digital symbol dissappears then the 4WD light comes on.
I can't hear the motor/actuator trying to engage 4wd, is that a symptom of 1 of the 3 switches not working?

·
Administrator
13,429 Posts
No, the motor will try to engage even if the limit switches are not working correctly.
Are you sure it isn't working, it isn't very loud.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts