Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I’ve got the flashing light indicator when I try to engage 4wd. It’s obviously doing something as the drive completely changes and if you try to drive in 4h, after a while the car feels like it’s fighting itself and stalls out. Also the car refuses to go back into 2wd unless you turn the engine off and back on again after using the switch. The strange thing is that I can hear it clunking into 4lo and that seems to operate as it should but the dash remains flashing.
No other warning lights on the dash for abs or power steering or anything. My Friend also has a flashing light on his but 4hi and 4lo working fine (he thought flashing meant it was engaged and functioning correctly).
So I guess my question is, are there multiple faults that cause the dash to flash that way? And if so, what are they so I can better diagnose the problem?
I’d really appreciate any advice.

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Simple answer is yes. The flashing light means that there is some kind of fault detected.

Normally causes by one of the 3 limit switches screwed into the transfer box. The remedy is to replace them.

It sounds like you are using 4 wheel drive on the road if it is stalling. This basic 4x4 can only be used on loose surfaces.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s interesting, I didn’t realise the road would be an issue for 4h. I know you shouldn’t use 4l on the road... Would you say that as my friends isn’t stalling that he’s likely to have an issue then?
I did actually manage to get one of those switches out and tested it with a multi meter. Sure enough it failed so I’ll replace them and I’ll change the oil while I’m at it, hopefully that’ll solve the issue.

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
No centre diff, so you will get lock up as the front axle is travelling further than the rear one..

If you give it some power it may spin a front wheel if the road is a bit slippery, probably your pal is being a bit more aggressive on the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts