Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, your tent is bigger than some of the houses I used to live in... I think that is called 'glamping' of late.

I swear by my 1.6 fat-person Terranova Ultra Quasar (you can't blow 'em down), as only I am a bit bulky of the two of us, and it is really oK for 2 people, but we also carry a big Isabella (maybe 4m x 3m?) for guests, who, for some odd reason may want to stand up in a tent - wussies....

Anyway just being on the ground overnight will draw damp, but we can dry the Quasar inside our fiver if necessary, and the Isabella can be hung on a line in the sun. You can kind-of dry a big tent in sections.

Whatever - I am glad you had a good trip and the Nav did the job!
Love it, I think I would be classed as one of your wussies, too old not to be able to stand up in a tent, and god forbid not being able to get up out of the bed, its a pop up double with an air mattress on, so it's the same size as our bed at home:grin2:, weve had lower beds, but Malc can't get out of them without help! So yes we glamp>:)

It is 700 x 400, bigger about the size of our lounge and conservatory lol, great amount of room for all our stuff and Cooper our dog.

But we now have a twist, Malc has come to the end of his camping life for certain, so no late camp this year so it will all come out and clean and sell it all, bit late for this year so next year, so up in the loft it will go again apart from the tent that lives in the bedroom.

So we get a truck to make it easier, which it did, and now we have a truck that we love :grin2: so will possibly look at caravans, can't do MH as they are too pricey.

Such a shame I'm sure I could manage a few more years camping, but hey ho needs must I suppose.

Which ever we love our Nav and it's not going anywhere soon, but will need a towbar fitted, so will need advice on that.

We also meet a fabby couple who had a 5th wheel, he has a brand new Ranger, had a good snoop around it was fantastic, keeping in touch with them as they don't live too far away

·
Registered
98 Posts
We also meet a fabby couple who had a 5th wheel, he has a brand new Ranger, had a good snoop around it was fantastic, keeping in touch with them as they don't live too far away
was it the fifth wheel or the Ranger you are lusting after? We had a 5th wheel in Oz and it definitely fitted the glamping style - electric everything, so easy to hook up and tow, and if I put the Nav in low ratio so easy and precise to manoeuvre at tickover (manual). Only downside was that it was so high as the wheels were not really recessed into the body, so it had 4 steps up to it, But I have seen people put aluminium loading ramps with a handrail over the steps for easier access....

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Duff54 - it was probably a US-made 5th wheel; they are amazing value, especially second-hand. You can pick one up for the price of a kidney or other in-demand organ - so long as you have a donor at your disposal... ;)

UK-made fivers are compact, better built, more modern in style, but sadly they are not cheap. Then again, the US ones that are really good and have everything on them as standard are even more expensive!

Check http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/ and buy some chloroform and a scalpel! ;)

Reactions: duffs54

·
Registered
98 Posts
Duff54 - it was probably a US-made 5th wheel; they are amazing value, especially second-hand. You can pick one up for the price of a kidney or other in-demand organ - so long as you have a donor at your disposal... ;)

UK-made fivers are compact, better built, more modern in style, but sadly they are not cheap. Then again, the US ones that are really good and have everything on them as standard are even more expensive!

Check http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/ and buy some chloroform and a scalpel! ;)
or watch out for another one of these coming on the market

http://www.5thwheels.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/130/s/eco-lite-5th-wheel-trailer/

US made but for the UK/Australian market, so proper door on the left and narrower than the standard US models. I know there was a UK importer in 2011 when we saw one at a show at the NEC......i'd have another one in a heartbeat

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Nah - all old hat, they are "spit and cardboard" specials - all gone now, except for maybe second-hand ones out there... But fair play, they will show up very cheap.

All caravan/5th wheel stuff is full of subtleties until you get into comparing the important details.... In the end, the fiver world (below a certain price) splits between low-price, "high-value" 80's style (beige/velour/mock fireplaces/out of date systems) that are US imports and fivers with German-style and modern function (as per Concord/Carthago motorhomes or Hobby-level caravans).

Having said that, unless you spend a lot of your time in a 5th wheel (so it becomes to feel like an apartment), for say, overwintering for 6 months every year, the US vans win hands-down on value, and have more room for families on holiday.

FYI you can spec the door either side on UK fivers like a Rambler but it is completely irrelevant unless you want to camp on a motorway hard shoulder! What is more important, IMHO, is what can you get to with the slideout tucked in if you are "parked tight", as for travel? Maybe in a car park at a service station? Maybe a lay-by? In my case, that would only be fridge, sink, kettle, microwave, washing machine, seats, tables, almost all cupboards, draws and counter-tops, bed, shower, loo. Yes, I cannot roast a chicken in the oven with the slideout in, or watch the main lounge 40" 3D TV (we have to use the bedroom TV)... :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

:surprise::surprise:

They are fabby, just love them. He's an artic lorry driver so used to driving them, it's massive, both sides pull out, as you come in the side door the kitchen is opposite you with an island kitchen unit with stools, with a huge double fridge. 2 unfitted sofa's 3 armchairs, and a table all in the back bit . Go up the stairs and the bathroom is on the left then the double bedroom with all the fitted wardrobes etc. I've never seen anything like it.

He said he was on the maximum load he can have with the Ranger.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was it the fifth wheel or the Ranger you are lusting after? We had a 5th wheel in Oz and it definitely fitted the glamping style - electric everything, so easy to hook up and tow, and if I put the Nav in low ratio so easy and precise to manoeuvre at tickover (manual). Only downside was that it was so high as the wheels were not really recessed into the body, so it had 4 steps up to it, But I have seen people put aluminium loading ramps with a handrail over the steps for easier access....
:laugh2::laugh2: The 5th wheel, love my new Nav too much :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah - all old hat, they are "spit and cardboard" specials - all gone now, except for maybe second-hand ones out there... But fair play, they will show up very cheap.

All caravan/5th wheel stuff is full of subtleties until you get into comparing the important details.... In the end, the fiver world (below a certain price) splits between low-price, "high-value" 80's style (beige/velour/mock fireplaces/out of date systems) that are US imports and fivers with German-style and modern function (as per Concord/Carthago motorhomes or Hobby-level caravans).

Having said that, unless you spend a lot of your time in a 5th wheel (so it becomes to feel like an apartment), for say, overwintering for 6 months every year, the US vans win hands-down on value, and have more room for families on holiday.

FYI you can spec the door either side on UK fivers like a Rambler but it is completely irrelevant unless you want to camp on a motorway hard shoulder! What is more important, IMHO, is what can you get to with the slideout tucked in if you are "parked tight", as for travel? Maybe in a car park at a service station? Maybe a lay-by? In my case, that would only be fridge, sink, kettle, microwave, washing machine, seats, tables, almost all cupboards, draws and counter-tops, bed, shower, loo. Yes, I cannot roast a chicken in the oven with the slideout in, or watch the main lounge 40" 3D TV (we have to use the bedroom TV)... :)
When we camped at Lymington on the Sth coast, there was one there on a residential pitch, first time I'd seen one. kids and parents, just love the idea of that.:wink2:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Oooh No! 5th wheels are best for two only, no matter the size!
We removed the second bed in ours, and visitors stay in a tent!

And my 'old hat' comment was only about the Eurolites that Tanuki was talking about.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Points taken - i've never got why most American motorhomes and trailers are so dark and dated - we looked at dozens before we found a motorhome we liked in the US, mostly because it had light maple cabinetry as opposed to dark wood. and then spent a few quid replacing most of the lights with modern LED/Stainless units from ebay, some glass mosaic splashbacks and other cheap modernisations. If we had been keeping it long term I would have done more, but it was the balance of money out that would never see a return vs live with it. And as for the fireplaces - ugh. just NO. if you want a fire inside, get one of those xmas DVD log fires to play on the TV. Or a propane fire pit outside - no limitations on fire bans as no embers, but you can still toast marshmallows if that is your thing

I guess rules in Oz are slightly different to the UK - there trailers have their own title and registration, and caravans are legally obliged to have a door on the left in most states if not all, so you saw some horrible conversions where they had taken out internal fittings to allow a second door to be fitted after market.

Having visited the place they were made and some of the other manufacturers in the area - the vast majority of US motorhomes and caravans are made around one area in Indiana by Menonites - the Evergreens were actually slightly more modern and better equipped and fitted out than most. But cheap and spacious - personally i'd rather get a spacious shell and fit it out myself when I get another one to keep, but that is a few more years away.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tanuki - compare with here (made in Wales, now exporting to Germany, Aus and NZ in small numbers):

http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/

A lack of woody-beige generally. No pretend fires!
no question they are nice, but you pay for it.

If/when I do it again i'll look for an old(er) but structurally sound one, strip it out and completely rebuild the interior to my own spec. I used to make furniture as a hobby anyway, and there are a lot of things i have learned that work well and that I would rather have over a standard build, eg projector and screen for movies movable from inside to out and decent surround sound speakers - watching Lord of the Rings on the side of the van on about a 100inch screen and then jumping out of your skin when a wallaby brushed against the back of your hand hanging down the side of your camping armchair was a bonus....

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I've moved the 5th Wheel discussion from the Camping Packing thread to one of it's own. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Never, ever let them believe otherwise. Always tell them you snore, and if they were on board they'd never sleep... Make sure you carry a fab tent, airbed, goose-down duvet etc., whatever it takes for your van to remain just for two, especially overnight... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts