Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys.

Anybody ever had the title happen?

A/c still works, no play in the compressor & feels good when turning it by hand but the pulley feels like it's bearing has completely collapsed.

Took the belt off & couldn't believe how much play was in the pulley, surprised its still on there tbh

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I meant a new issue!
Got ya! Ha.

I put a post on a Facebook group about it, 2 people said they changed the compressor but didn't actually think about just changing the bearing & 1 person said they changed the bearing in the pulley & all was good so fingers crossed.

I will report back when I know some more for anybody else that might have this issue

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Got ya! Ha.

I put a post on a Facebook group about it, 2 people said they changed the compressor but didn't actually think about just changing the bearing & 1 person said they changed the bearing in the pulley & all was good so fingers crossed.

I will report back when I know some more for anybody else that might have this issue
You need to be clear are you talking of the tensioner pulley or the pulley on the pump. If on the pump you will need to replace the pump if on tensioner they are replaceable and dont forget to put a new belt on as its stupid not to relative to cost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got ya! Ha.

You need to be clear are you talking of the tensioner pulley or the pulley on the pump. If on the pump you will need to replace the pump if on tensioner they are replaceable and dont forget to put a new belt on as its stupid not to relative to cost.
The title says the a/c pulley dude?

The compressor doesn't have any play in it & rotates without any grinding. The only play is in the a/c pulley which has its own separate bearing, is it not possible that bearing has collapsed & that is the problem?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If we are talking about this pulley below, I wouldn't waste time trying to take it off, strip it down and replace the pulley when you can buy a complete pre used unit off the bay for £30 upwards.
You will also have to factor in getting the aircon system regassed, as you will lose the refrigerant when you remove the pipes.
One thing to be aware of, the aircon system is under a tremendous amount of pressure and probably best having a professional degas the system first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If we are talking about this pulley below, I wouldn't waste time trying to take it off, strip it down and replace the pulley when you can buy a complete pre used unit off the bay for £30 upwards.
You will also have to factor in getting the aircon system regassed, as you will lose the refrigerant when you remove the pipes.
One thing to be aware of, the aircon system is under a tremendous amount of pressure and probably best having a professional degas the system first.
Yeah that's the one. I wouldn't be surprised if the pulley falls off when I take the clutch plate off tbh. I'm looking at doing it with the compressor still on the car so no need to remove /replace gas

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The title says the a/c pulley dude?

The compressor doesn't have any play in it & rotates without any grinding. The only play is in the a/c pulley which has its own separate bearing, is it not possible that bearing has collapsed & that is the problem?
So many people confuse the two MATE!

Just wanted to be straight so I could help you sort it. For what its worth if the bearing is gone the clutch will be likely damaged as well. Dont forget when you put it back together to check the clutch to pulley clearance (with spacers) carefully as the new bearing will change it slightly. We do our own A/C here so thought I might help but you seem to have it sussed so good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got the pulley off yesterday & what a state that bearing looks 🤣 I'm gonna get a new bearing & put it back together.

I'll come back with an update once finished & hopefully this can help others out in future 👍🏼
Make sure the clutch plate material is still in there. It is normally in the pulley and looks like a fibrous brown ring about 3-5mm wide, this grips the hub on the front and stops the metal to metal slipping screeching as the hub is pulled in. If it is missing find another pulley. Also, make sure the compressor bearing surface is good, if there is evidence of the inner race spinning on it you will need to dot punch and loctite it on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the pulley off yesterday & what a state that bearing looks 🤣 I'm gonna get a new bearing & put it back together.

I'll come back with an update once finished & hopefully this can help others out in future 👍🏼
Make sure the clutch plate material is still in there. It is normally in the pulley and looks like a fibrous brown ring about 3-5mm wide, this grips the hub on the front and stops the metal to metal slipping screeching as the hub is pulled in. If it is missing find another pulley. Also, make sure the compressor bearing surface is good, if there is evidence of the inner race spinning on it you will need to dot punch and loctite it on.
Cheers for the info dude.

There wasn't anything on there, the clutch plate looks as though it had a brake pad surface to the back of it which is worn down but it is still working atm.

I have put it back together & all works, however a backstreet garage managed to warp the pulley when taking the remaining outer shell of the collapsed bearing out so I'm gonna buy another compressor (hopefully non working to keep cost down) & swap the pulleys.

Lesson learnt not to go there again 👎🏼

1 - 14 of 14 Posts