Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving a D40 Tekna since 2008 and unfortunately crashed it in late September 2018. In the 10 years I have been driving the D40 Tekna I have been totally satisfied with this vehicle in every respect. After 285,000km (175k miles), other than changing oils and brake shoes, it was only last year that I had the clutch plate, fly wheel, cam chains and sprockets and a set of injectors replaced, to have a purring engine once again.

After my crash, although I had the option to repair the D40 Tekna, I decided to go for the NP300 Tekna, this way renewing the most essential tool of my business (I run a small winery in the center of the Peloponnese). Despite the heavy load this adds to my budget, I went ahead and ordered a new NP300 Tekna.

I have been driving the NP300 Tekna for a week now and my disappointment is beyond description. I admit not researching or seeking advice from the forum before ordering, only because I would never have imagined that Nissan would have debased the Tekna edition to such an extent. Regrettably, I feel I have been cheated as a loyal Nissan customer, and feel foolish that I didn’t research other options on the market.

The overall design of the car gives the impression that Nissans' aim is to attract the flashy image buyer rather than the buyer interested in essential functionalities. Although it is apparent that the D40 Tekna was designed by a team that had deep knowledge based on feedback on the cars functions, the NP300 Tekna gives the impression that it has been designed by a team of inexperienced newcomers.

It’s too early yet for me to comment on the new engine, but at first glance, the throttle response is sluggish and the EGR system appears to be incredibly complex for no apparent reason.

On functionality the NP300 Tekna lacks the following in respect to its predecessor:
1. No floor tie-down rails in load bay.
2. No cross bars on roof racks, essential for transporting light loads.
3. No longer a splitting rear seat allowing one passenger plus baggage. The holding up mechanism has
been replaced by a cheap hook and tape.
4. No arm rest on rear seat.
5. No space under the rear seats. Replaced with a couple of tiny pockets, already filled with jack and
tools, which used to be stored behind the folding back of the rear seats.
6. No shelf in drivers’ armrest box, ever so useful for wallet, keys and change.
7. No power adjustable seat on passenger side.
8. No automatic cabin light switch-off if forgotten on.
9. No spray type windscreen washer jets (replaced by ****-type!).
10. No puddle lights on the side mirrors, ever so useful at night.
11. No rain sensor for windscreen, essential for environments with heavy rain.

I would never have the intention to discredit the NP300 Tekna edition without reason but it is impossible to accept that a newer edition of the D40 Tekna can be missing such vital features which its driver has become accustomed to.

On the other hand new features include:
1. The new multi-link rear suspension with coil springs has an improved feeling and performance on
and off road.
2. The new air-conditioning system is a definite improvement.
3. The cameras system and parking sensors are welcome.

The hard lesson I have learned through this experience, is that the assumption that Nissan would always release an upgraded new edition has proven not valid. For a D40 Tekna to a NP300 Tekna transition the disappointment will be certain.

·
Administrator
11,909 Posts
I would agree that one reason that the D40 was the market leader for a few years was that it was well kitted out, the NP300 does lag behind.

Personally I think it was because the D40 was developed for the US market whereas the NP300 was developed for the rest of the world (the Americans love their additional features).

Out of interest my 2014 D40 lost the shelf in the centre console, passenger electric seat and had almost no space under the rear seats, so the journey had already started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
I agree exactly with your assessment of the change from the D40 to the NP300. I changed a 1 year old D40 for a pre reg NP300 Teckna because I was getting such a good deal I couldn't refuse it. I do miss all the extras that was with the D40, especially the auto wipers. The only thing that trumps the NP300 over the D40 is the looks. The D40 was getting a bit dated. The ride is so much better with the new suspension as well.
Hopefully Nissan can address this issue on future models.
Gavin

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
Gents, the individual trim levels offered on the NP300 are up to each country’s importer to determine. Some of the missing features you mention (power passenger seat, rain sensing wipers) are available in our market. Some of the others (cross rails, floor tracks) are available as genuine or very common aftermarket fitment.

I think so many UK buyers are disappointed with the NP300 because you’re overcharged for it. Here and most markets, both the D22 and D40 were sold in parallel at two different price points. The D23 was meant to bridge both, in size and price, and compared to an equivalent-specification D40, you can have a D23 on the road here for 25-30% less. The leaf-spring, single turbo D23 more or less matches the D22 for price but is infinitely more modern mechanically.

The closest ute on the market today to the D40, I’m driving feel, price and spec, is the Amarok.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Slightly cuckoo that Australia get rain sensing wipers and the U.K. do not!

I guess they expect them to be always on over here!

I didn’t have any truck prior to the NP300 and have to say in the U.K. there was nothing else with its spec at the price point. The Amorok is up in the 40k’s for all the toys and the Merc the same.
Everything else at the price was either old tech, or ugly.
Even now it stands up well in comparison to others. In my opinion the equipment missing in the OP’s list is far out weighed by the rear suspension, the new engine, the LED lights, 360 cameras and the looks.

I would have really liked the rain sensors though!

;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Slightly cuckoo that Australia get rain sensing wipers and the U.K. do not!

I guess they expect them to be always on over here!

I didn’t have any truck prior to the NP300 and have to say in the U.K. there was nothing else with its spec at the price point. The Amorok is up in the 40k’s for all the toys and the Merc the same.
Everything else at the price was either old tech, or ugly.
Even now it stands up well in comparison to others. In my opinion the equipment missing in the OP’s list is far out weighed by the rear suspension, the new engine, the LED lights, 360 cameras and the looks.

I would have really liked the rain sensors though!

;)
Rear suspension is fine until you wish to put anything significant in the back. As for the Wipers it was such a relief when the NP didnt have them we really got fed up with the smearing on the screen when they did their own thing in the dry and we had them switched off anyhow. Luckily I have a better more reliable system in my brain that can decide when I need them ,much the same with headlights LOL ,I get so fed up with them coming on when not needed or not coming on when they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts