Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning boys and girls I'm after a little "legal advice " from those that know!
This morning after dropping the wife at work 6.30am, I was on my was home driving... well rather spirited!
And I noticed I was being followed by the boys in blue!
Now I'd not done anything illegal! I wasn't speeding much (maybe 45mph in a 40 zone) I'd not run any lights or any thing
just maybe hard acceleration from traffic lights not completly stopping at junctions ect... (it was 6.30 on a Sunday morning! The roads were deserted.)
so wasn't over concerned.
After about a minute (I'm guessing he was checking my details) he blue lighted me!
Gave me all the usual
"Is this your car" "where you going" ect..
Then he said my driving style got his attention, he then stopped me because of my rear lights!
For those that dont know I did put up a thread a FEW YEARS AGO when I did this.
There aftermarket tail lights that I then modified to led so I had fog and reverse lights on each side.
He said my tail lights were too bright to the point there indistinguishable from my brake lights! Furthermore I don't have any rear reflectors!
I pointed out I do have reflectors on the width of the towbar under the rear bumper to which he said " there not clear enough and have to be higher up!" And issued me a vehicle defect notice!
I said to him I did this like 3-4 maybe even 5 years ago and it's never been picked up on the mot! What do you want me to do?
He just said I've got 14 days to get it fixed details are on the back and toddled off!

so! where do stand with this cos according to several mot guys, there fine!
and I don't have the original lights anymore so could be an expensive fix!

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
Not good, more likely looking for a drink driver.

Reflectors must be at a certain height and distance to the edge of the vehicle, check CandU, but you should be ok.

If your side lights are too bright, you need to put a resistor in the side light wire input each side.

I'd go to a local garage with a sticky reflector, get them to stick it on and get a receipt!

·
Administrator
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There a big gypsy site recently arrived about a mile from where I was stopped (and to be fair I was heading towards it) so guess he thought pick up truck, early hours sunday morning, probably nicked by gypsy's!

What's CandU ?

I've just had my daughter pressing the brake while I watched, and to be fair if your watching as the brakes come on its obvious the lights get brighter!
But if you see it with just side lights , it could be mistaken for brake lights so I can understand his confusion!
Can I just put a inline resistor on led's? Anyone know which one I need or where to get one?
I always used maplins for that sort of thing cos they could advise you, but there long gone now!

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
Construction and Use regulations.

On the resistors, I would buy a selection box off Amazon for about £8.

I would guess about 1k Ohm, you can just try a few to see which one works. (Or combination)

For the same money you could buy a box of 8 potentiometers which would be simpler to find the sweet spot.

·
Administrator
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks
I was thinking more down the lines of would a resistor cause them to flicker or damage them in any way?

·
Administrator
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering how far I might get if I just go to the garage that mot'd it last and ask them to sign it off?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Definitely worth it.
The rear reflectors are normally build into the rear light cluster, Go to any commercial vehicle aftermarket light suppliers and buy a couple of stick on rear red reflectors I would put them on the bottom corner of the tail gate on both sides, As was said you could fit inline resistors to dim the rear lights or you could ask the mot tester to sign off the defect notice, The chances of getting stopped again will be very slim.

·
Administrator
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rear reflectors are normally build into the rear light cluster, Go to any commercial vehicle aftermarket light suppliers and buy a couple of stick on rear red reflectors I would put them on the bottom corner of the tail gate on both sides, As was said you could fit inline resistors to dim the rear lights or you could ask the mot tester to sign off the defect notice, The chances of getting stopped again will be very slim.
Yeah there were but I removed them to fit a bank of leds for the reverse light, then put a red lamp for a fog and tail light where the reverse bulb used to be. Same on the other side so I have 2 tail lights on each side 1 fog and tail and 1 stop and tail.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah there were but I removed them to fit a bank of leds for the reverse light, then put a red lamp for a fog and tail light where the reverse bulb used to be. Same on the other side so I have 2 tail lights on each side 1 fog and tail and 1 stop and tail.
Another alternative to stick on reflectors is 3M scotchlite reflective red tape 30mm x 1 metre only costs around £4.50 cut it to suit and stick on below your light cluster, Supplier Reflectives.co.uk, A lot of the Mercedes guys use inline resistors when they change the front passenger’s seat on the vito from double to single the fit a resistor to the centre seat belt plug this tricks the SRS control unit into thinking the centre seat belt is still fitted and stops the SRS warning light coming on.

·
Registered
2019 Tekna
93 Posts
Watch if you have an over anal local police, I believe the reflectors should be visible even when you have the tailgate open, most hatchbacks have the reflectors such that they dont go up with the tailgate or they have another reflector inside the door jam. Reflectors on the bumper may be better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Watch if you have an over anal local police, I believe the reflectors should be visible even when you have the tailgate open, most hatchbacks have the reflectors such that they dont go up with the tailgate or they have another reflector inside the door jam. Reflectors on the bumper may be better.
Don’t think many would be driving with the tail gate open, although have seen reflector in the drivers door jams on some vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Morning boys and girls I'm after a little "legal advice " from those that know!
This morning after dropping the wife at work 6.30am, I was on my was home driving... well rather spirited!
And I noticed I was being followed by the boys in blue!
Now I'd not done anything illegal! I wasn't speeding much (maybe 45mph in a 40 zone) I'd not run any lights or any thing
just maybe hard acceleration from traffic lights not completly stopping at junctions ect... (it was 6.30 on a Sunday morning! The roads were deserted.)
so wasn't over concerned.
After about a minute (I'm guessing he was checking my details) he blue lighted me!
Gave me all the usual
"Is this your car" "where you going" ect..
Then he said my driving style got his attention, he then stopped me because of my rear lights!
For those that dont know I did put up a thread a FEW YEARS AGO when I did this.
There aftermarket tail lights that I then modified to led so I had fog and reverse lights on each side.
He said my tail lights were too bright to the point there indistinguishable from my brake lights! Furthermore I don't have any rear reflectors!
I pointed out I do have reflectors on the width of the towbar under the rear bumper to which he said " there not clear enough and have to be higher up!" And issued me a vehicle defect notice!
I said to him I did this like 3-4 maybe even 5 years ago and it's never been picked up on the mot! What do you want me to do?
He just said I've got 14 days to get it fixed details are on the back and toddled off!

so! where do stand with this cos according to several mot guys, there fine!
and I don't have the original lights anymore so could be an expensive fix!
If it were me in your position I would get out the smart phone & look up all the legal requirements he pinged you for & cross check against his valued opinion. You may find that he may not know the exact legal road worthy laws. One issue that stands out is the brightness levels, unless he had a meter at the stated distance, he cannot apply this to a fine.
Additionally reaching the signposted speed, quickly without loss of traction, is not an breaking any laws, unless you failed to maintain your lane & or changed lanes without providing what may be deemed as sufficient notice, or fail to maintain correct distance from other vehicles you may approach.
That is a few of the items of concern. I am sure that around 10>15 minutes on the internet you should be able to backup any issues with the facts.
In Australia we have many well informed Traffic Police, additionally we also have many poorly informed Traffic Police.
I myself was pulled over by an older Police Officer, who told me that my trailer was incorrect loaded. I knew he didn’t know what he was talking about, so I asked him in what way was it incorrect loaded, he said he didn’t know but it just didn’t look rite. He then asked if I had a smart phone, I told him I did, his following comment being “look up the ruling,
at least the phone is Smart”. So being the dummy of the day according to Constable know not, I did just that & as I thought, when it came to vehicles with attached trailers, he didn’t know his ******** from his elbow. I sent in a quick email, stating the authority requirement. The fine was overturned as it was unlawfully issued. I was tempted to go on Social Media & tell people about the win against “A Smart **** Officer with a Smart Phone” after being accused of being, “A Dumb road user with A Smart Phone”. Thinking of what could eventuate from doin so, I decided to keep it to close friends. The moral of the story is not to except everything you are told.

You need to get the facts together & in the event you decide to dispute the fine make the email short, provide rulings word for word, in reference to all items mentioned, be respectfully as the person at the other end of your email is not the officer that stopped you. If you state a good case, hopefully the fine will be revoked without a tip to court.
I hope this is of some help.
I am not a lawyer or am I against the law enforcers, But I don’t except rudeness from the Police or any other individual. It is unnecessary.

All the Best S.Richo

·
Administrator
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He didn't fine me for the driving style, just said that's what got his attention. it was then he noticed my lights weren't right. (Think it was more a case of he was just looking for an excuse to stop me)
A vehicle defect notice doesn't carry a fine as such its more of a "get it fixed" warning, although if I fail to fix it and I'm stopped over it again then I probably will get a fine.
Ive found a pair of original tail lights on ebay for £25 + delivery (but I was close enough to pick them up after work last night ) so tomorrow I'm going fit them and that should be the end of it!
Untill I get bored and tint them black 😆

Reactions: landmannnn
1 - 14 of 14 Posts