Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read previous posts on this subject but am still not sure and as blanking of the exhaust end is a bit more involved i thought i would ask, So a couple of questions to be answered please....1... If i only blank off the egr valve from the inlet end will i damage the egr valve. 2...Also does it matter if i blank off on the inlet pipe on the end nearest the egr valve or the other end.

Steve

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Hi Steve :D
Blanking the EGR valve on the inlet side doesn't harm it but at the same time it will not carry out the function you are trying to create :( thus still circulating the 'soots'/carbons into your engine :x therefore you need to blank this valve on the exhaust side to prevent this happening. On the exhaust side you should get better engine performance by way of earlier turbo spool up and improved mpg.
Best place to 'blank' is on the flexi pipe leading to the manifold down pipe :thumbright:
Read this and it will show you where to place the blanking piece or metal
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3125&hilit=blanking+egr+valve

·
Registered
976 Posts
wozizname said:
Hi Steve :D
Blanking the EGR valve on the inlet side doesn't harm it but at the same time it will not carry out the function you are trying to create :( thus still circulating the 'soots'/carbons into your engine :x therefore you need to blank this valve on the exhaust side to prevent this happening..........
load of ****.

block the egr pipe off anywhere you like, it will stop the egr flow and stop the soot getting into the motor.
ideally blocking both ends is best but blocking inlet side only is fine. theres no egr flow so the valve won't get a lot of heat or suffer damage.
block the egr pipe close as possible to the inlet manifold, that reduces the unneeded inlet manifold volume.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
tweak'e said:
load of ****.
Thanks for that mate :shock:

Sorry, I was only passing on what others had reported on here (being no expert) that they had blanked the wrong side and had no mpg/performance improvements until they blanked the other side :?:

Until now I hadn't read someones knowledge/experience and expertise on the subject :salute: :salute: :salute:

I'll shut up then :!:

·
Registered
976 Posts
well people should read what they write, bleeding obvious that blocking a pipe is going to block the pipe !

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey

Thanks for all the info guys, but im left a little mixed up...

what side do i need to block of? or shall i just do both sides lol?????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cheers buddy

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I disagree.
Blocking off at both ends leaves nowhere for the trapped acidic condensates to go, it will lead to rotting out between the blockages, and damage to the EGR valve, which must still function to avoid lighting up the engine warning light.
I advocate blocking off, at the exhaust maniflod end, behind the alternator, a little more work I know.
This way it still ventilates the EGR valve and pipework, and achieves the goal of better performance.
True there is a little more inlet manifold volume, but then there is less exhaust manifold volume, and well these aren't exactly Porsche Turbo's we are talking about.
Chris

Reactions: Paul Dawson

·
Registered
400 Posts
I welded a "plug" in both ends of the convoluted pipe. You could just as well do either end.

Doesnt matter in practice.

In my opinion, if you are going to do this, you may aswell remove the inlet manifold, and chemically clean it. In mine there was about 10mm of crud build up in some parts! And clean out the intake ports as best you can. These were very gunged up. Brake cleaner and an airline works well.
At least cleaning the inlet side will allow better intake efficiency and really make use of deleted EGR.

I noticed about 5mpg better fuel economy on urban driving doing the above. Though I did also go to the extent of matching the intake manifold to the head, as there was a lovely C4mm lip on one side of the ports :)

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
countryman said:
chris vince said:
I disagree.
Blocking off at both ends leaves nowhere for the trapped acidic condensates to go, it will lead to rotting out between the blockages, and damage to the EGR valve, which must still function to avoid lighting up the engine warning light.
I advocate blocking off, at the exhaust maniflod end, behind the alternator, a little more work I know.
This way it still ventilates the EGR valve and pipework, and achieves the goal of better performance.
True there is a little more inlet manifold volume, but then there is less exhaust manifold volume, and well these aren't exactly Porsche Turbo's we are talking about.
Chris
nice when we can politely disagree :mrgreen: chris, i removed my egr valve all together and have never seen the check engine light, must be a different engine management system on mine :lol:
That`s possibly ok to do in some parts of the world, but a savvy MOT inspector may have a different view in the UK :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Blocking off at both ends leaves nowhere for the trapped acidic condensates to go" what are you on about :eyeroll , are you putting them in there before blocking- of course not. If the egr system is blocked, then it is blocked. Yes one side of the plate will be open the the exhaust, and the other side to the inlet gasses (air). Drive a car on a hose pipe, and no water will get through, were ever the tyre is on the pipe. So block it were it is easiest to fit, or were a plte was made to fit-if buying one.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
bertye said:
"Blocking off at both ends leaves nowhere for the trapped acidic condensates to go" what are you on about :eyeroll , are you putting them in there before blocking- of course not. If the egr system is blocked, then it is blocked. Yes one side of the plate will be open the the exhaust, and the other side to the inlet gasses (air). Drive a car on a hose pipe, and no water will get through, were ever the tyre is on the pipe. So block it were it is easiest to fit, or were a plte was made to fit-if buying one.
As I wrote once before to another rude idiot:
"Crack on Mate, I don't give a toss!"
Please feel free to grace us all again with your undoubted expertise?
And to use the knowledge (or ignore it, in your case) of those who help others not expecting to be abused!

Reactions: Paul Dawson

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
chris vince said:
bertye said:
As I wrote once before to another rude idiot:
"Crack on Mate, I don't give a toss!"
Please feel free to grace us all again with your undoubted expertise?
And to use the knowledge (or ignore it, in your case) of those who help others not expecting to be abused!
:lol: :lol: :lol: well said Chris :salute: :salute:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
What I was saying was that any existing EGR tube WILL be contaminated, blocking both ends WILL trap existing acidic condensates, repeated heating and cooling over time will cause corrosion, leaving one end (preferably the inlet manifold end) open will ventilate the tube.
I may not be a Steven Hawking in my writings, but all he had to do was ask for clarification, NOT go into a rude ignorant rant.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What I was saying was that any existing EGR tube WILL be contaminated, blocking both ends WILL trap existing acidic condensates, repeated heating and cooling over time will cause corrosion, leaving one end (preferably the inlet manifold end) open will ventilate the tube.
I may not be a Steven Hawking in my writings, but all he had to do was ask for clarification, NOT go into a rude ignorant rant.
Hi, I agree better to blank the exhaust end of the egr port only this will allow the suction side of the engine to keep the egr pipe clear and prevent any build up of condensation in the pipe. Cheers Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
1,192 Posts
Bit of a laugh reading this old thread, hilarious. Pure confusion, disagreements, misunderstandings, and multiple revivals! Over just 18 posts!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts