Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!! :)

So, after a very sucessfull 1600 mile trip from Cheshire to Aguilas in Spain towing my fifth wheel, I'd just finished congratulating my Nav for a troublke free run when wouldn't you know it, setting off for some shopping, the ABS light has come on. My OBD11 reader doesn't appear to be able to read ABS faults, only engine faults and neither does another chaps on site so it looks like I might have to find a reputable garage down here and have her plugged in. BUMMER! I'm hoping it's just a wheel sensor or assosiated wiring but at thee mo, no idea if , or which wheel?

Symptoms...............

Lock the car, unlock again , start up, ABS light OUT.
Start driving off the campsite and there is "chattering" under the bonnet and pulsing on the brake pedal but no ABS light.
Drive out onto main road and as soon as I hit 20MPH, "chattering" and pulsing disappears and ABS light comes on...........brakes feel totally normal.

Any ideas please chaps?

p.s, if it's any consolation it's peeing down here! 1600 miles and it's peeing down! CHEERS! :)

pps my OBD reader is......... memoscan U581

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a further to on this, I've just had the front end up in the air and found that the off side hub is wobbling like a weeble!.......definately wasn't before we set off.

Could this cause the sensor to mis read?

·
Registered
64 Posts
As a further to on this, I've just had the front end up in the air and found that the off side hub is wobbling like a weeble!.......definately wasn't before we set off.

Could this cause the sensor to mis read?
Yes that'll be your problem. New wheel bearing required, which comes with a new abs sensor

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
As it happens, yet again Milners are coming to the rescue.
Due to SHMBO bending my ear about being on holiday etc etc etc, I got a couple of quotes down here.
Local Citroen garage (recommended on the campsite) who will service anything unlike in the UK and also an English mechanic a few miles up the coast.
Both about the same with a copy hub coming in at about 380e and a genuine Nissan one at over 600e , both those prices need local tax and labour adding...............OUCH!
Gave Milners a ring and they've got them in for £72 plus £20 delivery. RESULT!
Having read a good write up on here (apologies my friend I can't remember your username) I first tried my breaker bar and tools on all the bolts to check access / seizure and they're all OK, just waiting for 4 to 5 day delivery now.

Curiously, when looking for the English mechanic up the coast, we got lost and had to do a 3 point turn on a dirt track off the tarmac. The Nav wheel spun on the back end in reverse, where-upon the ABS light instantly went out and hasn't come back on 2 days later!!!!!! ? Go figure!
What ever, the F/O/S hub is well and truly knackered so I'm changing it anyway.

Suns out, 20 degrees but very windy. Looks like walking instead of cycling today.
All the best.

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
You've gone on holiday and taken a 32mm long reach socket with you!!

Actually, come to think of it, I have one in my Nav, so I do the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,313 Posts
You've gone on holiday and taken a 32mm long reach socket with you!!

Actually, come to think of it, I have one in my Nav, so I do the same.
I always carry a full tool kit!
consisting of a full set of both short and deep sockets, 2 standard ratchets , a 24" ratchet, spanners, lump hammer, screwdrivers, duct tape and about 10foot of bailing wire!
And of cause jump leads and a tow rope ;)
As a young lad driving in spain you tend to drive older cars that always brake down in the middle of nowhere, so you get the habbit of carrying enough tools to fix most things at the road side !

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RESULT! :) The beast roars again.
New hub turned up at the campsite a couple of days ago from Milners but we've had a hell of a weather front come through the med for 2 days so I thought sod that!
Weather cleared early doors this morning so I started at 8:30 whilst beloved was still throwing Zeds at the ceiling! Took a couple of hours but job done. Just had a 60 mile drive out and no ABS lighs. Phew!
Funny thing is, when I held the old bearing in m y hand and span it, you should have heard the 'orrible grinding rumbling from it, and yet there was absolutely no indication on the car when driving. It was defo OK before we set off cos I did a full service (as you would) but it took a 1600 mile journey from Cheshire to Spain to go from perfect to knackered!

Thanks for your help guys, time for a San Miguel ! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts