Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Pathfinder Tekna (Post facelift)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.
I'm getting an issue (not sure if it's one or two actually) after around half a mile usually. Would seem whilst letting the engine break or when actually breaking I'm getting ABS, ESP, 4X4, and anti slip dash lights coming on and obviously locking me out of 4x4 ability. or just turning off if in it. If I am breaking I very frequently get ABS feedback (pedal only) but obviously that knocks off in no time with the lights coming on.

So not sure if aside from all lights flooding on the ABS issue would be still present or if the two are one in the same. Like is one hiding the other.

Took it to the garage, he mentioned that when plugged in to error reader that it seemed to be happening at a certain speed or revs (I forget - I know) either way he thought best to replace ABS sensor, as the error code was for the sensor - called to order, it was more than £200, I said I'd get it myself and return to him.
Just having a poke now but figured I'd throw this problem up incase anyone had any insight.

Also I try but I'm not the most mechanical. When scoping on Partsouq there is a sensor ring and sensor wire assy. He suspects it was so expensive as it must come as a unit with both maybe. But an eBay search for R51/pathfinder ABS sensor on Ebay seems to bring up single sided wiring looking things rather than the double side wiring assy pictured on partsouq. No mention of sensor ring.

I'd love a little more light on this if anyone has any insight. Would I need just the wiring or ring? Can I get as a whole? How would you find that.

Cheers as always guys! Ever grateful! She'd be dead along time ago, without you lot. :)

·
Administrator
15,146 Posts
The issue you describe is most likely to be a wheel sensor or a wheel bearing worn out (so giving an irregular reading on that abs sensor)

First job is to measure the resistance of each sensor using a multi meter, there is a plug for each attached to the suspension. They should be about 1k Ohms each.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a iCarsoft reader to identify which ABS sensor was faulty. It's been very handy over the years. The front wheels are within the wheel bearing. You can buy a new sensor although the likely cause if it's a front sensor is wheel bearing is on it's way out. new bearing assembly with new ABS sensor is around £85 from memory.

The rear pair are easily accessible and located either side of the rear diff. I've had rust expanding and pushing the sensor away from the counter ring before. Easy to remove, clean up and replace. Also check the counter ring out and give them a clean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The rear pair are easily accessible and located either side of the rear diff. I've had rust expanding and pushing the sensor away from the counter ring before. Easy to remove, clean up and replace. Also check the counter ring out and give them a clean.
I had this too - rust pushing the rear sensors away. They're pretty cheap if I recall so I just changed both while I was under there. No problems since.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate these responses guys. Had some joy with my scissor jack failing. Bought a 4t rated bottle jack and that apparently didn’t go high enough. Haha. But I think with the spare out the way seems like there would be great access.
So if I pull my finger out and stop being a wimp or... this snow and minus temps pass, I’ll get back too it.
Keep you all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, having discovered more perks to being a short ass (I can sit cross legged in the spare space under the car without jacking, haha) so escaped needing to find a jack quickly and paying over the odds. I have tested the resistance of the ABS sensors, Rear right was reading 782 and Left 790. So suspect both are fine.
Though noticed the Right (the one ini question) is sort of pushed about 2/3mm away from where it is bolted on. sort of at an angle.
I was just going to replace the sensors as above but a long look suggests unless I order from the states at a cost of £80, I can't seem to see for less than £150 ini UK. Annoying as a front pair I've seen for £40.

So going to try taking right side off and cleaning up the mounting area.

The rings looked clean, even relatively new. No corrosion or ****.

TBC

·
Administrator
15,146 Posts
If the sensor is not aligned it won't pick up the teeth on the wheel, can't it be moved back in place?

The sensors are around £20 on eBay UK from what I can see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the sensor is not aligned it won't pick up the teeth on the wheel, can't it be moved back in place?

The sensors are around £20 on eBay UK from what I can see.
Of course. I figured that would be the likely cause. I didn't get a chance to try to reposition, unfortunately, (I was interrupted by my mother turning up see. Or I'd have stripped it off and cleaned up the mount placement etc.) So I'll report back when I get a mo to do that.

Ah is that for single ones? Not sure if this is model specific, but on my R51 it is in a pair. They're wired in to a single attachment. Is only four on Ebay (at least under the exact part number) even the used one is a fortune.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it comes to it and the repositioning doesn't work out, might be tempted to attempt to wire the single sensors to the old fixture.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Heres my thread on the same topic. I also sheared off the bolt on one of them like someone else had, and did the cable tie bodge. Works a treat.

You need the 'two into one' jobbers as you said.

·
Administrator
15,146 Posts
Of course. I figured that would be the likely cause. I didn't get a chance to try to reposition, unfortunately, (I was interrupted by my mother turning up see. Or I'd have stripped it off and cleaned up the mount placement etc.) So I'll report back when I get a mo to do that.

Ah is that for single ones? Not sure if this is model specific, but on my R51 it is in a pair. They're wired in to a single attachment. Is only four on Ebay (at least under the exact part number) even the used one is a fortune.

View attachment 65269 View attachment 65270
My mistake on the sensors, I was thinking Navara. Ignore the US ones, the Pathfinder is a different vehicle over there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Milner offroad have rear abs sensors for £30 delivered.
I couldn’t find it anywhere cheap. Even trawling google. Even had Milner bookmarked and didn’t check.
Hero! Really appreciate that comment.
On the way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Would you believe my rear right sensor was showing a fault. Changed it for new and it's still not registering an speed when moving. Searching on here it looks like a common one for wiring fault in the loom somewhere....Yuck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would you believe my rear right sensor was showing a fault. Changed it for new and it's still not registering an speed when moving. Searching on here it looks like a common one for wiring fault in the loom somewhere....Yuck!
Hmm, which may bring me round to my problem then, as I've now replaced the ABS sensor at last. But it didnt turn off even one of the 5 dash lights, I thought would be associated.

I should update on light developments too, the lights (4x4, ESP, Anti slip, ABS) all come on instantly on start up now (previously came on after a varying bit of time, or a random ABS fart, but required less time to come on as time progressed).
This has now been followed by my break warning light (new addition). I have checked the brake fluid, it isnt low or going down. No loss of performance in breaking either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
replacing rear ABS sensor pair might have dropped the brake warning light from the scenario.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally got round to looking at my issue.

Disconnected the plug for the rear sensors and the multi plug.

Checked continuity on all 4 wires, using a jump lead and small bits of welding wire to push into the plug.

3 were good the green one wasn't.

Starting at the multi plug, pulled the wires out of the conduit.

Just before the rear right wheel the conduit stops and a new bit starts. This caused the wire to rub. The green and another cable to the headlight levelling switch were cut through.

Rejoined using standard red crimps, heat shrink and elec tape.

All working again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts