Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be of use to someone. Just spent a painful 2 or 3 hours trying to sort my Navara insurance out. I changed vehicles with only a month or two to go with Churchill and they quoted me £650 to renew ... almost 3 x as much as I paid for the same cover on my Pulsar :surprise:

Needless to say I was going to shop around. I tried most of the popular comparison sites that did van insurance, as well as a few of the big names and also Adrian Flux. All these came in at around £550 - £650.

I then rang Admiral Insurance who have quoted me £360 for comprehensive insurance. And this is with declaring all my non-standard items. Pegasus4x4 front protection bar, Pegasus4x4 canopy, Nissan towbar & BF Goodrich K02 tyres.

Still more than I'm used to paying but I can live with that :smile2:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes I’m with Admiral too. Well worth trying them as above.... mine is sub 250 and the best elsewhere was nearer 400....

Almost made me think they made a mistake! I haven’t needed to move insurance yearly for the first time in ages.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another vote here for Admiral.

My premium is a shade over £200. I understand that insurance is a subjective thing and that everyone's circumstances will be different but most other providers were much much more expensive........

There is an emergent theme here.

Nice to see Dan from AF replying on the forum but for some reason companies other than Admiral seem totally uncompetitive?

·
Registered
371 Posts
It’s all very subjective as you rightly say.....it’s so much lower than all others though.

I believe it’s an error on their part. They are probably classifying the Navara as non commercial or not loading the policy as the others seem to.
Let’s see how long they stay low.... 2nd year for me but I’m sure they’ll catch up to the rest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just added my new Navara NP300 to my multi-car insurance, and was quoted £900 to insure between now and April 2020 when the policy expires. Genuinely nearly fell off my chair.

I am 29, no points, one claim 4 years ago (i appreciate the problems that brings) and my wife is on the insurance, who has no points, no claims, mileage is down as 10,000, leisure use only, parked on secure driveway overnight. So £900 was a big suprise!

Once I asked why on earth this was the figure, the very kind chap decided to query it with his manager. He then came back on the line and did it for £340. I am absolutely certain that they reduced it simply because i got angry on the phone, but they blamed it on my wife changing jobs recently (we've had a baby & she is no longer employed) but he said he 'removed this from the quote' which seems a complete joke to me.

Anyway, Admiral did work out much cheaper in the end & even cheaper than their own online quote of £550 - another reason why £900 was ridiculous!

I'll probably renew in April if it doesn't change much...

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
My old insurance wanted an extra £100 for having a light bar!
I wouldn't have minded but its illegal to use on road and im not insured off road! So whats the problem? I promptly told them where they could stick the light bar sideways!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My old insurance wanted an extra £100 for having a light bar!
I wouldn't have minded but its illegal to use on road and im not insured off road! So whats the problem? I promptly told them where they could stick the light bar sideways!
Actually the problem is those with the fancy kit fitted tend to use it and the insurance company are responsible for 3rd party liability on or off road if you have an accident . I always find insurance company threads amusing as at the end of the day they quote what they will insure you for its your choice if you wish to pay that . They are not obliged to insure anyone if they dont wish to cover that risk. Its a competitive market and the proof of value comes when you actually need them ,thats why we stick with who we do (NFU) not the cheapest but certainly the best when you need them. The last time my NP300 had its front end( Bonnet,Rad,IC,AC evap wing and straighten door pillar) ripped off by a caravan it was repaired and back in 4 days My New Navara is £400 fully comp with my 19yo step daughter and any driver over 25. We do a lot of business with them though. It is very easy to forget that Post code probably has the biggest influence on insurance cost some Birmingham or Luton post codes nobody would insure you full stop.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Hmm, as I am no longer legit on the site I'll not comment on the downside of fitting extra stuff to a car. (one particular member will be grateful :) )

However, I have found with insurance over many years, that there is an element of "you get what you pay for". I have been quoted an extortionate £135 for my new Skoda, but not so bad I suppose...

Everything is always great with a low quote until something bad happens. That is when you really know whether your insurer acts fast and fairly... It's details that count - such as where are they insisting your vehicle gets fixed - would it have been your choice? Do they use pattern parts or OEM?; are things like paint & perforation warranties preserved? It may be irrelevant for an old truck you have as one of your fun cars, but you get the picture...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts