Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm hoping this is going to be as simple as a re-gas, but I just want to check first.

I have a 2005 Navara. Bought it with no air con and had a mechanic diagnose it as the condenser. Replaced that and it was working. Now I can hear the engine change speed when the compressor engages but there is a hissing noise coming from the passenger foot well. I had Halfords check the pressure, and when the air con is off there is pressure, but when it is on there is nothing.

Is this a leak in the system? My mechanic did a vacuum check on it when he fitted the new condensor and it held charge. Could it just be that it needs a top up?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Too many variables here to attempt diagnostic troubleshooting remotely.

It could be; it was working after the condenser replacement, so you simply have a new failure, or the same failure, or a leak and no longer have gas.

Simply because it passed the vacuum test at that time, doesn't really mean anything now. You need to check if you have gas, and repeat diagnosis.

Is your mechanic a registered AC technician?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was told by a mechanic in Halfords that you need to run the AC for at least 5 minutes every month to keep the gas pressure up, if that's right I need to get mine regassed now

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Yes, if you do not use your AC, it will fail. I would think it takes a little longer than just 5 minutes a month though! That being said, it's nice to know that Halfords employ at least a few brain cells!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
All types of aircon and refrigeration need regular run time to stay in good condition.

It is pretty normal to hear a little hissing as external warm air gets blown in through a restricted and cold heat-exchanger when you turn the air-con on -I think it is to do with moisture forming and then being blown off, to drip out externally. Nothing to worry about. Leaks of the refrigerant through bad seals or fractured pipes tend to be slow and thus, usually inaudible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it might be normal. I added some air con sealant and then got if regassed. The hissing noise is still there and it's currently with my mechanic to have a look at it. Apparently the pollen filter was clogged full of ****! Might have just been a tiny leak that was fixed with some sealant.

Also, for anyone looking, the Halfords re-gas kits don't work with the Navara because it doesn't match the weight or pressure range for truck!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Don't run it without gas though, the gas lubricates the rubber seals in the compressor.
All AC systems I have worked with will not work at all if the Gas gets low its a fail safe . Very unlikely that a hissing noise is down to a leak around the evaporator as the pressure loss would never allow it to pressurize because the compressor will not engage . Really need to go somewhere that knows it inside out certainly Halfords isnt a good start. Running it once a month has nothing to do with keeping up pressure but everything to do with keeping lubricant circulating. To be honest mine is never turned off even in winter it gets used by the climate control nearly every day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added two bottles of air con sealant and job done! The air con had not dropped any pressure and the hiss from the heater matrix is apparently nothing to worry about!

The pollen filters in the truck were full of ****, so two new ones have been added and seems to be working fine now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts