Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning folks got a problem with my d40 air con packed up. air con compressor comes on for about ten seconds then goes off had it regassed in sept any ideas ta

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
If the compressor only runs for a few secs then clicks off then starts again this is "short cycling" its low on gas. they obviosuly didnt find the leak when you had it done last time, they prob just stuck gas in it, which is Iligal to recharge a Air con/refrigeration unit with out fixing the leak. Im a refrigeration/Air con engineer by the way :thumbleft:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for replys spoke to the garage they put a tracer in before they gassed it must have just developed a leak its going in tuesday will let ya know the outcome

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good evening all had air con problem few weeks ago compressor only coming for few seconds at a time had it checked out they said gas ok but still doing it now tempreture gone up not on long enough to get cold or clear screens quick any ideas folks

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
From what you said the last time i would say it is short of gas, but with out looking at the truck its hard to say. could be a number of things. but the compressor shouldnt short cycle.....

You have to remember that the air con will bring the cabint down a min of 14 to 16oC (air of the vent, should be approx 4 to 6oC, allowing a 10 degrees diff to give the cabin temp of approx 14 to 16oC).....now if the temp outside is a lot lower than this then the outside is gunna feel warmer inside the cabin....

The amount of walk in chillers ive attended over this cold spell, where the customer has said the chiller doesnt feel cold, yet you get on site and its sat at +3oC which it should be and its -3oc outside!! its going from -3 to +3 thats making it feel warm but its fine!

·
Premium Member
13,825 Posts
Andy, will the compreessor run at all if its 3 or 4 deg outside? If its too cold for the air con, ie the cabin is less than say 10deg, will the compressor still work?

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
Well that all depends on your settings to rob, as you can us it as a dehumidifier also to demist which means the compressor has to run to do this regardless of inside or outside temp.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had no air con on my D40 last year - traced it to bottom of the condenser had fell to bits :scratch: truck had less than 15k miles on it when this occured, got it sorted under warranty thankfully :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for your reply andy tried heating full on then put ac on compressor still short cycling but comeing on more but pipes not getting cold

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
BAWSACK said:
Had no air con on my D40 last year - traced it to bottom of the condenser had fell to bits :scratch: truck had less than 15k miles on it when this occured, got it sorted under warranty thankfully :D

Condenser breaking up is a Common fault on the Astra also.

The reason it happens on the Nav is because the lower half of of the condenser is so exposed to the elements due to the large opening in the front bumper....also a target for stones hitting it and pericing it....one reason i got the upper and lower grill kit :thumbright:

navara 56 said:
thanks for your reply andy tried heating full on then put ac on compressor still short cycling but comeing on more but pipes not getting cold
When the A/C is running the large pipe (suction pipe) of the A/C system under the bonnet should be cold to touch, even have a condensation/slight ice build up onit after its been running a while. short cycling can also be a sign its been over charged which can also make the compressor short cycle as the system will cut out on high pressure....

And the small pipe on the A/C system should be warm where it enters the top of the condenser and cooler where it comes out the bottom...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
like i said compressor not running long enough for pipes to get cold its a mystery and its pissing me off

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
navara 56 said:
like i said compressor not running long enough for pipes to get cold its a mystery and its pissing me off
Has it been like this since it got repaired or started playing up resently??

If its just started resently im sure it will be short of gas matey. thats the most common cause for short cycling.

other causes

over charged
Restiction in the system
Moisture in the system
knackered pressure switch
knackered expansion vavle
electrical problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
was working fine in the summer andy started playing up recently going to have it checked out again had a st 24 before the truck ac was playing up that was the pressure switch thanks for ya help let ya know what happens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
up date on air con local garage checked it out (i know owner well) problem pointing to pressure switches which he changed made no differance after more hours narrowing things down finally found the cause a sensor which is located behind top glove box

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
Glad you have found the problem! :thumbleft:

That sensor will most likey be the INTAKE temp sensor for the evaporator box

there should be three other sensors also with it being climate control.

Optical sensor, small black dome on top of dash near the windscreen (this is for the duel zone control also senses amount of sunlight being passed through the windscreen)

IN-VEHICLE temp sensor.

Amibent temp sensor(outside), normally located at the front of the car around the grill area.

:thumbleft:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi andy my a/c when turned on dosn`t pull the engine down like it used to it also used to hiss when turned on now nothing,has the commpreser stoped working.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
curly said:
Hi andy my a/c when turned on dosn`t pull the engine down like it used to it also used to hiss when turned on now nothing,has the commpreser stoped working.

thanks.

If you was getting a hissing sound when the A/C was running (with compressor running) then its short of gas.

if its not running at all now, then the pressure in the system is to low and it will be out on the low pressure switch. so the compressor wont run (this is to protect the compressor)

you will need to get the system pressure tested for leaks, get leak repaired and then recharged with refrigerant! :thumbleft:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the compressor only runs for a few secs then clicks off then starts again this is "short cycling" its low on gas. they obviosuly didnt find the leak when you had it done last time, they prob just stuck gas in it, which is Iligal to recharge a Air con/refrigeration unit with out fixing the leak. Im a refrigeration/Air con engineer by the way :thumbleft:
hi my compressor doesn’t seem to come on , as I don’t see any change in the revs of the engine either when idling . The fuse is also ok for the ac . Any idea what could be wrong ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts