Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best performance air filter for the D22 and did it make any difference?
Thanks in advance. Daz

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well i've fitted a performance airfilter this morning and it sounds amazing, you can here the tubo whistling it's nuts off and it pulls a lot better. :D The only concern i have is that the air flow senser is not doing anything it is just sitting in the old pipework.

Has anyone else done his mod, if so what have you done with the sensor?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi Daz,

Does your new air filter sit on the end of the pipe that the air flow meter fits into, or in other words does the fresh air pass through your new filter, past the air flow meter, and then into the manifold?

If it does, the air flow meter will should still be doing its job and you have nothing to worry about, if not, chances are things will be 'up the wall' and your fuel consumption etc. could be affected quite significantly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put a Blitz SUS filter on still using the AFM ..
as you said you can here the turbo sucking...
I found it slower and it sounded like I had a permanent air leak so
I'v but the original one back on (seems a lot better)

·
Registered
976 Posts
i wouldn't recommend any faom or cotton type filters on the newer diesels.

simply due to the fact they let through more fine dust. on the old motors that not a major problem but with the new ones that dust fouls up the air flow sensor causeing quite a few problems which can lead to melted pistons.

if you want higher flowing fit a bigger paper type filter and housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thankx gents, ive just got a 2004 d22 for work and play but i do alot of towing for work, so ive been reading and looking around from small mods to give it a bit more power. if it was a V8 commodore i would know what to do lol. but this is my first turbo diesel..

·
Registered
23 Posts
dose anyone know if K&N make an air filter for the D22 air box and if anyone has tryed it
I have puted a K&N filter that fit perfectly into the original air-box.
If i remember it was a K&N E-9251.
I clean it every 5000Km; compared with a clean paper filter the difference it quite small (i think 2more Hp), but you can notice the difference if you compare it whith a dirty paper filter; infact in this case with the paper filter you loose power with K&N it seems that the power remain invariated.

Regards
D.N.

·
Registered
23 Posts
on the old motors that not a major problem but with the new ones that dust fouls up the air flow sensor causeing quite a few problems which can lead to melted pistons
This is true for the most tipe of recent engine but not for the Navara.
Infact the Navara does not mount a normal MASS AIR FLOW sensor but it use the MAINFOLD ASOLUTE PRESSURE sensor that it quite different and that is more and more insensible to dust.
Substantialy the navara use another system correlated to the Gas Law to calcolate how much air go to the engine.
For doing that it use the TEMP SENSOR that is positionated BEFORE THE AIR FILTER and a PRESSION SENSOR that is positionated on the INTERCOOLER.

So is important if you use another filter that you put the AIR TEMP sensor attached or near the new firter where the air pass and protected by the hot irradiation of the engine.

Sorry, english is not my first language :)

Regards
D.N.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i was told today by a guy that dose off road racing with 4x4 and that he always puts a uni-filter on his race cars cause everythink else he has try just get filled up with dust and wont let air thought. so i take it that they should be killa for normal use

·
Registered
7 Posts
i was told today by a guy that dose off road racing with 4x4 and that he always puts a uni-filter on his race cars cause everythink else he has try just get filled up with dust and wont let air thought. so i take it that they should be killa for normal use

·
Registered
976 Posts
MadVL8 said:
think about that for a moment. if all the others are catching the dust but not the uni, then the uni must be letting the dust through it. the dust has to go somewhere.
while thats fine for a race motor that gets rebuilt regularly, its a disaster for a normal vechile which is expected not to ever get rebuilt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what i think he was getting at was the paper and K&N's get filled up with the dirt but the uni has foam that has more area to let the air in and it has an inner and an outer filter. i going to get a uni-filter in the new year and see how it go's and i will let everyone know how its go's..

·
Registered
976 Posts
sounds like hes running a pre filter. you can get them for K&N's. commonly use them on the dirt track cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts