Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the tensioner pulley bearings start squealing and Nissan quote £100+ for a new pulley, tell em to get stretched.
Both bearings will press out of the pulley easily with no damage and you can replace them with the following.
NSK 6301 DULX - virtually impossible to get
or
SKF 6301 - 2RS1 - £2.50 each at local bearing supplier.
Pulley off, bearings out, new ones in, pulley on and belt tensioned = 20 minutes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum, loving the Navara but have a problem with the alternator tensioner making a squeaking noise when cold. Changed the belts and this has not cured it. Squeaks more when alternator is under load but goes when warm. Interested in changing the bearings in the tensioner and have access to a press. Are the same bearings used in the power steering tensioner as well? As i thought i might as well do this one at the same time. Seen these which seem a pretty good price http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/index.as ... 4Qodkj9F_w

Are these the correct ones? How many are in each tensioner? Wasn't sure if there was 2 in each so need to order 4 bearings??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions!

Many thanks ;-)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't do the power steering tensioner as it was only the alternator one that was howling.
There are 2 bearings in the alternator one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
someone beat me to this, on the mway on sunday night, quick squeak, puff of blue smoke and the alternator light came on, alternator belt shredded and curled up like a dead snake, tensioner wheel siezed.

local nissan dealer helpfully offered £360 to change the tesioner assy, £240 for a new one, £90 for a new wheel, I ordered a wheel, went home got th eold one off, saw the two bearings, bashed them out, ordered two new ones for £10 (ripped off!), went back to the dealer cancelled my order for the wheel and got the refund to my card

they are 12x37x12mm zz double sealed bearings if you need to search for them by size

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I did the bearings in my tensioner a while ago on mine the casting was pressed over in a few places to hold the bearings i had to turn them back in the lathe before i could press the bearings out.
Before everyone goes buyin new bearings it is worth bearing in mind that if it only squeeks under high alternator load (just after starting) then it may well be that the belt is too slack and needs tightening much easier option to try first

·
Registered
379 Posts
Changed my bearings today, pretty easy job, 14mm spanner to loosen the pulley nut, 14mm spanner to wind back the adjuster bolt, remove pulley, press out old bearings and press in new ones. Refit pulley, fit pulley nut but don't tighten, tighten up adjuster bolt tighten alternator belt and finally tighten pulley nut. I was bit cautious to start with and didn't do the belt tension too enough, and it squealed, so it needed an extra turn on the adjuster.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Decided I need to do the bearings on mine as it sounds like a jar of field mice when it's cold, is there anywhere online I can order the bearings as I don't have a bearing supplier with in 100 miles because im in Ireland :(.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My pathy also squeaks a bit in the morning. I'm going to try adjusting the tension on the belt first by a turn to see if that help, when it warm the noise goes away.

Im not a mechanic but feel confident in tackling small jobs with the information on the forum. so my question is if i have to go down the line of replacing the bearings, how do you know when you have the right tension in the belt as i know the consequences of over tensioning the belt?

·
Registered
30 Posts
D40-Outlaw said:
Decided I need to do the bearings on mine as it sounds like a jar of field mice when it's cold, is there anywhere online I can order the bearings as I don't have a bearing supplier with in 100 miles because im in Ireland :(.

Loadsaplaces... Eblag is an easy place, search for, was it 13mm x 37mm x 13mm zz? Look back on this thread and you'll see. Each bearing should cost about £3 each... In euros that's about 15... :happy0071 :happy0071

1 - 20 of 27 Posts