Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A teenage bricklayer who runs his own firm has been hit with a £40,000 quote to insure his own van.

Gary Shipp, 18, from Oldham , was determined to go into business for himself.

But the enterprising tradesman cannot afford a van because of the whopping insurance premiums.

He has been quoted between £20,000 and £40,000 to insure a vehicle even though he has a clean driving record and has never been involved in any accidents.

Gary, who started laying bricks from the age of 11, launched his business, Stonebrook Builders, a month ago.

Despite the stumbling block, he is working around the problem by using his own car, a Vauxhall Astra, to bring equipment to and from jobs.

He also hires larger items like cement mixers and drills, paying for them to be transported to building sites.

Using comparethemarket.com, he has obtained quotes for a range of vans and trucks, with the cheapest around £20,000-a-year. Insurance brokers haven’t beaten that price.

When he looked at the cost of insuring a Nissan Navara truck, he was quoted a whopping £40,323.01.

Gary has never been involved in an accident and has no points on his driving licence.

The young entrepreneur has even moved out of his mother’s home into his girlfriend’s house to reduce his insurance costs. The move is saving him about £2,500-a-year on his Astra, which he has brought down to £3,500 per annum - and he even fitted a ‘black box’ monitor to reduce the costs even further.

He told the M.E.N: “People under 25 are having to pay extortionate prices. It’s a rip-off. It’s like the pause button has been hit. It’s depressing as well as the same time. I can’t afford 20 grand to insure a van.”

The teenager started working in the building trade with his uncles from the age of eleven before learning bricklaying at Hopwood Hall College in Middleton .

He started an apprenticeship aged 17, and a month ago he started his own business, employing other brickies and labourers.

“From very young I always knew I wanted to be a worker. I’m very strong-minded and I’m not going to let anything get me down. But the insurance companies grab you and won’t let you move. They may as well put handcuffs on me,” said Gary.

Gary is seen as the ‘highest risk’ primarily because of his age, according to insurance industry experts.

Malcolm Tarling, of the Association of British Insurers, said: “What’s important for the insurer is not the value of the van but the likelihood of him being involved in a multi-million pound personal injury claim. That risk is much higher the younger you are”

Mr Tarlking pointed out the insurance industry was lobbying government for moves which would reduce the risk posed by younger drivers, for instance by limiting the number of passengers they can carry and introducing a test period after drivers have passed their test

Full article at: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/van-insurance-oldham-bricklayer-work-11650854

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Obviously crazily excessive.
Nevertheless, generally, young or inexperienced drivers are, believe it or not, subsidized by us older drivers, but clearly this example is different!
What would the cost be if he had a limited company that gave him a company car?

·
Registered
890 Posts
So wait, because you are young you are much more likely to be in a car accident???? This may have been true 50 years ago, but sadly it isn't anymore.

People who are older than 60 drive like maniacs. They don't know the laws, drive way to slow, ... and the majority of the older "more experienced drivers" aren't much better either... No turn signals, no lights, driving much to fast, drunk or tired.

Ofcourse there are exceptions but blaming young drivers all the time is just :throw

Just as an example, in the last 3 years i've had no accidents and an adult I know well has had 3 in the last 3 years. But that's none of my business........

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
So wait, because you are young you are much more likely to be in a car accident???? This may have been true 50 years ago, but sadly it isn't anymore.

People who are older than 60 drive like maniacs. They don't know the laws, drive way to slow, ... and the majority of the older "more experienced drivers" aren't much better either... No turn signals, no lights, driving much to fast, drunk or tired.

Ofcourse there are exceptions but blaming young drivers all the time is just :throw

Just as an example, in the last 3 years i've had no accidents and an adult I know well has had 3 in the last 3 years. But that's none of my business........
In the UK insurance is often very expensive compared to the rest of the world, especially young drivers struggle to get insurance on any vehicle let alone anything fast. It was extortionate even I was young, I paid £1500 for a 1.5vtec-e Honda civic when I was 17 and moved onto a BMW 323i when I was 18 and it was £1870 for 10 months. My little brother used to pay £3000 for a Peugeot 206 that was worth about £500! I'm 29 now, and in some circles still considered a "younger" driver.

The biggest problem in this country is the standard of driving taught during the lessons and test I feel is very low. Drivers who fail constantly are able to rebook until blind fluke allows them to pass. Often the manouvers taught during lessons are only partially tested. Also the rise in insurance premiums for younger drivers has come from the fact that if you have enough money and are silly enough there is no real limit to what you can drive as soon as you pass. So it allows badly trained drivers to drive anything they want should they have sufficient money.

I was sensible enough and a foray into the heady realms of 170bhp @ 18 taught me to be sensible and I've been lucky enough to have a varied mix of very powerful cars over the last decade and the insurance has stayed reasonable. I also have quite a large amount of driving experience under my belt simply due to the mileage I cover each year for work. I have a little spread sheet which I keep updated with the start and end mileage of each Vehicle, and after todays update adding the Navara and signing of the old Astravan it tells me since I passed my test at the end of 2004 I have covered approx 460,000 miles at an average annual mileage of 39,500 which this side of a truck driver is a reasonable amount and certainly in excess of anyone I know personally with the exception of my dad.

The point I'm getting at is that experience comes with the distance driven rather than the length of time driving - if you considered someone who did local journeys and just 5k a year and yet were 40, they might have managed just over 100k in 22 years of driving yet would benefit from a lower insurance premium than my self who has already had perhaps 5x the driving experience.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

I've no idea about Belgium, but the UK accident statistics consistently show that the overwhelming majority of accidents involve young drivers. The insurance companies here may be evil, but they are not daft about statistics. Which is not to say that individual young drivers are not good drivers, but that on average they are not. Also in the UK, insurance premiums depend on postcodes, which means if you live in a crummy postcode, one say where they get more claims (whether it is accidents, thefts, vandalism etc) you pay a lot more. The double whammy is to be young and live in crummy part of town or city!! It's all statistical....

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've no idea about Belgium, but the UK accident statistics consistently show that the overwhelming majority of accidents involve young drivers. The insurance companies here may be evil, but they are not daft about statistics. Which is not to say that individual young drivers are not good drivers, but that on average they are not. Also in the UK, insurance premiums depend on postcodes, which means if you live in a crummy postcode, one say where they get more claims (whether it is accidents, thefts, vandalism etc) you pay a lot more. The double whammy is to be young and live in crummy part of town or city!! It's all statistical....
Well i've looked it up for Belgium, and I have to appoligise...
The most dangerous category is the one for 20-24 years, Which is just great ... i'm in that category (22yo) :nailbiting

Most insurance companies here are also evil. My friend had insured an opel corsa 1.2l petrol (86hp) and she was quoted a full omnium at 2.400€ or 2010£. This is just ridiculous. I'm still on my parents insurance and thankfully it's a lot cheaper, 360£, as long as I don't annoy anyone :? Which in almost 4 years, I didn't :partycheer:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
No need to apologise, we're only chatting!
I think in the UK, 17-22 is pretty bad, but I suspect that is because we have lots of zombies over here (if it wasn't obvious), and half of them probably think you can use an iPhone app to drive the car for you, or a mate can do it remotely by texting ! :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Those numbers are nuts

Not sure how he will get it cheaper to be honest

Regarding the young having accidents

Here is my list of accidents since June 2011

June 2011 in Southend 80+ year old reversed at high speed in to the front of my parked car as he selected reverse not drive

August 2011 stopped at a red light get rear ended by a 18 year old driving on his dad's insurance as he said he dropped his glasses so bent down to pick them up and had not seen me stopped at the lights

December 2011 Tbone by a middle aged woman at a junction as she did not see me

2011 was not a great year for my cars

June 2015 old lady across road turned left to swing in to her drive way and proceeded to smash in to the side of my parked car

All non fault claims and all had costs recovered but it's not the point too many fools driving about

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Part of what loads the price of insurance is the cost of injury compensation, litigation and other non-car-damage incurred costs. This often costs the insurer a lot more than the cost of fixing or writing-off most cars after a shunt. Younger drivers tend to have higher-speed accidents where people are (statistically) more likely to be injured or killed...

The point being that if your car gets bashed by 10 old people, then their risk or cost liability to the insurer is probably much less than just one 20 y.o. who kills or injures someone, hence premium loadings.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can't believe that!!! Poor lad... I know his pain but not to that extent. I've just turned 25 and have had a massive insurance drop... The Navara is the cheapest vehicle I've ever insured at a measly £756.00 compared to
My first van a 98 Vauxhall combo 1.3 at £2000.00 😱

1 - 12 of 12 Posts