Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have fitted my dashcam with a fuse piggyback, on the accessories circuit. Just wondered if i left it the permanent fuse, would it run the battery flat with 2 day? as i havent a clue to work the calculation out.

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
It depends, some of them go on standby when they work out you are stopped, others dont.
Most that have a standby function rely on the loss on input power to trigger the switch over to battery.

That said you could easily run a dashcam for two days - I can run a 40L fridge for about 3 days.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Depends - the Acc circuits goes dead on key removal / engine kill, at least it did with keyed ignition vehicles, unsure on the keyless versions.
Then - is it a single live or a double live (one to permanent, one to switched live) - they tend to go into parking mode when switched dies.
It should be in the instructions - personally, I would not leave it on full time with full recording, your going to be re formatting the memory rather regularly.

·
Administrator
12,666 Posts
I had a fairly cheap one which went into standby when the GPS recognised it wasn't moving.

It was permanently live, never affecting the car battery.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Hi - where did you connect up the negative when you used a piggyback fuse?
Just fix to a grounding point somewhere near the fuse box.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and mistakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the reply

The problem is that there is no obvious choice beside the fuse box behind the glove box compartment (which was fun getting off!!). I guess I can run a ground cable through the firewall and into the engine compartment - but I had hoped for something a bit tidier. I will keep looking and report back what I decide!

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I definitely earthed mine right by the fuse box, but can't remember exactly where.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and mistakes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i earthed my arch lights to the bare metal that the glovebox screws into on the bottom.
Dash cam is so low powered you shouldn't see any adverse effect on your battery. hth

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok - so to report back. Got home from work, in the dark and rain. Made dinner (homemade burgers, if you'd like the recipe minced beef (5% fat), 1 finely chopped onion and three cloves of garlic and salt) for the family, then managed to get 20min to myself with the head torch on the drive. Took the glove box out, then removed the cover (5 screws, 2 bottom and 3 top). Once I took that off there were a plethora of metal bracketry and screws to earth to. I checked it with a multimeters (croc clip to the metal bracket and pin into the live fuse). So, it is possible. Will attempt the hardwire of dash cam at the weekend and report back. Thanks for all the feedback, it helped me press on!!

Peace out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right I tackled mine today, dash cam that is not the burgers! So make sure all the power draws are off, lights and radio then empty the glove box. To remove the glove box open and pull up firmly, this pops the hinges off and then lift up and out, you can see the fuse board.

Then take a 10mm socket and remove the grab handle from the passenger side pillar, the covers pop off but have retaining tabs so you pop them off from the top edge, not the bottom. To remove the pillar cover you pry it off from the top, nearest the door as there is an air bag at the top, there are two pop tabs that come out, then you lift the cover out of the dash.

Take your camera cable and feed it from the left side of glove box inner up through the dash; I used a long reach grab, along the a pillar into the head lining to the camera position. Zip tie the cable to the top of the pop tab retainers on the a pillar. Where you fed the cable from you can zip tie the spare cable to the cable ducting that is there. Feed the end of the cable ends back to the fuse board, above and to the left is a 10mm bolt that you can fix the earth to, bit fiddly but a long reach socket with an extension bar does it. The live I connected to the bottom left fuse as you look at it, this is a switched live on the ignition. Both cables can tuck neatly above the top of the panel behind the the dash fascia. Test before you put it back together but if it works then refit the a pillar trim, grab handle and glove box.

The fuse board diagram is on a sticker on the back of the glove box.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice one! Thanks! I'll be doing this job tomorrow or Sunday depending on the weather. If its bright and dry I am going to fit my tailgate assist!! I'll take snaps and let you know how it all goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just installed my front camera this afternoon. Great set of detailed instructions. Installation was simple. Thank you.
My next job is to install one in the back looking out of the canopy. I’m going to piggy back off the switched 12v pins on the tow bar electrics. Going to install a 12v cig outlet. Then just plug the cam into that. It gives me a option of using the outlet for other things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts