Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I have a 2015 Navara with the OEM roof rack / rails (the round side bars with the skinny/flat cross bars). Does anyone know if this is strong enough to put a roof top tent on? Thinking about the ARB Simpson III setup, which weighs 86kg on its own.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems I answered my own question. Yes it can be done, see this thread, but no it isn't legal, at least not here in Norway. The maximum roof load on a V6 diesel Navara is registered as 56kg, including the rack.

So, will have to mount this on the bed!

·
Administrator
13,326 Posts
It seems I answered my own question. Yes it can be done, see this thread, but no it isn't legal, at least not here in Norway. The maximum roof load on a V6 diesel Navara is registered as 56kg, including the rack.

So, will have to mount this on the bed!
It is more about the vehicle stability, mount 60kgs on the roof and the vehicle is far more likely to roll over.

Depending on how likely you are to be stopped and weighed, you could consider roof mounting, but will need to be aware of the risks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What surprised me though was the low rating for the Navara compared to other pickups, the Amarok is rated for 140kg for example. Ah well, mounting on the truck bed should be quite neat, and it will allow me to keep the height of the tent (packaged) below the roof rails to avoid any increase in height of the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts