Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure, but I'm probably going to go for the Roll N Lock because:

a. It is a no drill fixing
b. It has a covering which means it doesn't suffer from water getting into the slats and then freezing in winter.

I don't actually have it yet, so hopefully someone will post here with actually experience. Sorry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does the roll n lock accept a roll bar and and rack mounts?

Do you know if it is load bearing like the armadillo?

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Interesting question, as im also looking at getting a roller shutter, and also want to get the double roll bars :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have seen pictures of both Armadillo and Roll N Lock with roll bars, and it seems that all you need to do is slightly modify the top cover on each.

not sure about rack mounts... what are they?

Also don't know about the load bearing on the Roll N Lock. Sorry. It wasn't something I thought I would end up using.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the roll and lock.
It was fitted by the supplying dealer, so I'm not sure on the fitting side of things, but I can tell you about living with it.
Like Stubeedoo says, the pvc covering makes keeping it clean easy, stops the freeze thing and in my opinion looks nicer.
On the other hand I wouldnt put anything heavy on it, and locking mech is still very exposed and froze back in the real cold nights, but by far the biggest drawback is it prohibits the use of all 3 upper c channels.

For the record, I run my own building company, the Nav is a work horse that mostly carries tools and tows a trailer, so the r'n'l is a must have from a security point of veiw, occasionally I carry bigger things, mixer, barrow, step ladder etc, so the flexability of the roll away cover is worth its weight in gold, far out weighing the downsides of the c chans.

Overall I give it a 9/10, thumbs up.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for that BigDC.

So, can you use the upper C-channels when the cover is open or not? I guessed that it would be awkward if not impossible to use them when closed, but I figured they would still be usable when the cover is rolled back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Because of the way the cover fits into the body, the slide runners are covered enough to make slotting in the Nissan clips impossible due to needing to rotate the thing 90deg, and the roll 'dock' against the cab totally covers the rear chan.
Both bed channels are unaffected.

In 4 months and 5k miles, I have needed them 0 :wink:
I'm just waiting for the day when I badly need to use the upper channels. :oops:

I'm still well chuffed with the whole package I went for.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
So if the Load Clips / Tie downs are allready in the top runners, it would be OK ? :) ;) ?

YOu could buy a extra 4 just to keep in the top runners ?

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
farleygo said:
Does anybody know if the Armadillo top is a no drill fit?
The Armadillo is a piece of junk. I have it and my best advice is to stay away from it. I cannot wait for them to take it off. Fit, paint and finish was appalling and to add insult to the injury, they mounted the Nissan supplied roll bars on plastic wedgies on top of the armadillo frame. The roll bar mounts protrude from the sides so the armadillo gets stuck despite the fact they supply a pull rope with it. One and a half years down the line the armadillo has warped on one side (despite no load carrying whatsoever) You've been warned... oh and my Nissan dealer refuses to deal with them too...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I think that seals it!

Roll N Lock it is!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
roll n lock

Took posession of my new Navara just last Friday. Had it fitted with bed liner & roll n lock cover by the dealer. You can still use the c channels on the sides, however you can't remove the cleats to use on the bed channels.
Another thing about it is the bed liner section which goes on the tailgate won't fit because of the roll n lock. It was left loose in the bed by the dealer. however, a bit of time with a jigsaw and I'll make it fit!
I had actually requested an armadillo cover, because I was afraid some idiot would cut the vinyl with a stanley knife, thinking he'd access the bed.
He wouldn't get anything but that wouldn't solve my ripped vinyl!
Dealer seemed surprised when I pointed out the "armadillo" cover he'd supplied was roll n lock.

Whick brings me to the question.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a couple of spare cleats to use on the bed c channels?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can't say I've ever had a problem with my armadillo.

I fitted roll bars which required some cutting ot the canister cover.

C channel is still usable.

Though even if i had those problems I'd still be happy

Dealer seemed surprised when I pointed out the "armadillo" cover he'd supplied was roll n lock.
I didn't bother pointing out to my dealer the soft roll up tonnuea was actually an armadillo!! Whoops on their behalf! :oops:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts