Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2015 D40 Navara a few weeks ago and have noticed some problems I assume with the transmission.

Between what seems to be from 1st into 2nd, it over-revs and then jolts as 2nd comes in and the revs drop to match (as if 2nd is slow to come in so it carries on revving as if in neutral). If I accelerate more gently then it doesn't have the chance to over-rev so it changes smoothly, but sometimes if I'm coasting and then get back on the accelerator, it will jerk suddenly again. I'm pretty sure it's only or at least mostly 1st and 2nd, the dash only shows D rather than the gear number and it's not very obvious when shifting manually.

The other problem is that when I switch between reverse and drive, there's a lag before the gear engages, where the car can roll slightly until it comes in.

My suspicion is that I might be looking at a new gearbox. I don't have the ATF dipstick so I can't check the colour that way - is it possible to check any other way? I thought about draining a very small amount to check the colour but obviously can't check the level this way.

I also ran the transmission self-diagnostic test which came back clear (although with 21 flashes instead of the 19 it should have).

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
I bought a 2015 D40 Navara a few weeks ago and have noticed some problems I assume with the transmission.

Between what seems to be from 1st into 2nd, it over-revs and then jolts as 2nd comes in and the revs drop to match (as if 2nd is slow to come in so it carries on revving as if in neutral). If I accelerate more gently then it doesn't have the chance to over-rev so it changes smoothly, but sometimes if I'm coasting and then get back on the accelerator, it will jerk suddenly again. I'm pretty sure it's only or at least mostly 1st and 2nd, the dash only shows D rather than the gear number and it's not very obvious when shifting manually.

The other problem is that when I switch between reverse and drive, there's a lag before the gear engages, where the car can roll slightly until it comes in.

My suspicion is that I might be looking at a new gearbox. I don't have the ATF dipstick so I can't check the colour that way - is it possible to check any other way? I thought about draining a very small amount to check the colour but obviously can't check the level this way.

I also ran the transmission self-diagnostic test which came back clear (although with 21 flashes instead of the 19 it should have).
Welcome along.

Very much the symptom of low fluid in the transmission.

Don't bother checking the colour, it goes brown after about 5k miles.

Most modern auto transmisions don't have dipsticks, the drain/fill hole is in the bottom and and a pump is used to refill.

A drain and refill would be your best bet. You could remove the blank where the dipstick used to be and squirt some new fluid in, but overfilling atf is bad news for the transmission.

2 options - get an auto transmission place to change the oil. I doubt if you will get much change from £400.

Or do it yourself - in which case you will need to buy a bucket pump and the right adaptor for the fill hole. About £100 for the pump/adaptor and the same for the fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, is it most likely to be fluid rather than actual damage to the transmission? I don't know how long this has been a problem since before I bought it. Is it worth replacing the filter at the same time?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a guide around here on the adaptor so I'll look into it.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Thanks for the reply, is it most likely to be fluid rather than actual damage to the transmission? I don't know how long this has been a problem since before I bought it. Is it worth replacing the filter at the same time?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a guide around here on the adaptor so I'll look into it.
It is very likely to be fluid. A full flush and a filter would be a great idea.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I fully agree with LM's diagnosis, replace ATF and filter..
However the fluid has escaped from somewhere, it doesn't just evaporate.
Does this model have a radiator/water cooler? If so check the flexi hoses and connections at the radiator, also look for other wet areas around the box for leakage.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts

I've done it, here is a useful post.
You can get the adaptor on ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Is the adaptor just an M8/8mm threaded hose fitting? I can only find sets on eBay, nothing listed as Navara specific. Also any specific fluid I should be using, as the J Matic is pretty expensive.

Very few places near me (Leicester/Birmingham way) will touch automatics but I've got it booked in 3 weeks from now as a backup (quoted £205 inc filter) but I'm guessing it's not going to do it much good leaving it for so long, since it'll do another 800 miles before then.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
To be honest, while I tend to prefer to do jobs myself, I would go for that £205.

Looking at the internet, this is the filler, yes 8mm

Yuenpau tools 7425 ATF Filler Adapter Compatible with Infiniti 7-Speed https://amzn.eu/d/fFQyGZa

I did find some oil that met JMatic, I think it was made by Millers, still cost £80.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts