Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

56' plate nissan navara aventura automatic, 35k miles

I am having a little bit of trouble with my navara at the moment and it realy is the wrong time of year for your usually reliable 4x4 to start playing up.

Whats wrong is that when reverse gear is selected nothing is happening until you give it a good rev and then it will engage and jump back quite sharply.

Before i just used to keep my foot on the brake until i felt it engage and then it would take off with no problems but not anymore.

I have taken the navara to my friends garage and had all the oils etc etc checked and everything seems fine but there is definitely something wrong with reverse. My friend has no idea what could be wrong as this is only happening in reverse. Drive, 1, 2, and 3 are all fine.

If any of you nice people on here have heard of this before or can shed any light on my situation it would be very much appreciated as I am very reliant on my navara at this time of year.

I Thank yous all very much in advance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My friend had a similar problem with a BMW, turned out to be an electrical fault on the gearbox, common problem on bmw's, I'm sure someone with more navara knowledge will be along shortly

·
Premium Member
23,576 Posts
Apparently many auto D40's do this occasionally, some more than others, i haven't had this with mine, but i've heard of it with others.

Has yours always done it, or is it something that's recently started?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it hasnt always been as bad as this. Before if you selected reverse and let your foot off the brake too quickly then it would give a small jerk backwards but it wasnt anything like it is now.

I am not sure what is meant by "is reverse selected by switch"???

It just has the usual auto box gear stick. Park at the top, then down a notch for reverse, then neutral, drive, 3, 2, 1.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,

I have spoken to my local nissan dealer today and they said they have never heard of this but the workshop foreman put me onto a companty called mackie transmissions.

I phoned them and spoke to someone there who told me that this is a very common problem with d40 navaras. He told me that it is caused by the wearing of plates which wears down a circlip which in turn allows a piston inside the gearbox to travel out further making it jerk into gear when it selects reverse. The long and short of it is that he said the whole gearbox will have to be re-built!

Wait for it: The price for this is anywhere from 3 to 4 thousand pound. Bearing in mind it has only done 35000 miles.

Does this sound about right to any of yous? Have yous heard anything of this before? It is not what I was hoping for!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've thought about this problem a little more.

You probably need this:
http://www.sonnax.com/system/announceme ... 9K-12K.pdf
Your shop needs to open the valve body, for which they need to remove the transmission pan, and change 3 or 4 parts of the reverse piston assembly.

I've had nearly all the pistons and springs in my valve body replaced as part of my shift kit upgrade, much more work than just reverse piston, and the entire install took less than a day.

It's not the wearing of the plates causing the piston to slide too far, it's the piston sliding too far that causes the plates to burn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much blue navara.

All of that is a little over my head but I will certainly pass the information on to my mechanic friend. Do you think that the kit that you have added the link for would fix my problem or is my gearbox beyond that stage?

Do you know if that kit is available in the U.K?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
ddevine01,

My shift kit doesn't address the specific reverse piston problem, in hindsight I should have added it preemptively while I had the valve body out.

The entire shift kit can be purchased for less than USD260, so the reverse kit, with only 3 or 4 parts, will be way less than that, less than 100USD, if I had to guess. Biggest costs are actually the replacement of 10l worth of Nissan S-matic ATF fluid, which cost me about USD300 as well.

Finally, it's advisable to have your shop double check part compatibility before ordering. I suggest you send them an e-mail on whether there's a UK dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cant thank you enough for all of that information. I will wait and see if any of the other guys on here come back with anything tonight.

I am due home from offshore tomorrow so fingers crossed I will be able to get my navara fixed before christmas.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm not aware of any other forum member who has opened up the AT.....

The part compatibility check is because there is an old style and a new style valve body for this transmission. Im 99% certain it's the new style valve body, but better to make certain none the less..

·
Premium Member
23,576 Posts
jace said:
2nd hand box may be cheaper/easier then,but whys it chewed the box out at such low milage,has it been luggin a big ol trailer round or sommat?
That's my thoughts mate, put another box in, exchange even?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If it's just the reverse acting up it's not likely to be that bad. I suspect the replacement of the reverse valve as discribed earlier will do the trick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts