1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original thread is here :

http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?t=265

AVO Fully adjustable Damping rear Shocks

Took me 1 hr to take off the old ones and install the new ones.

So whats it like to drive,

First trip i turned up the Dampening to + all the way round, and hit the road.
This is the performance mode, not too much different from the standard ones but you can feel the rear end gripping better and dampening better.
A Hard ride still with this setting, but better than standard.

After a few twists with a allen key ( 10 seconds on each shock)
i fully wound out - the dampening.

THen hit the roads :)

Now this is really different, all the little holes and bumps were soaked up and the ride was alot smoother.
i would say 100% better than the original Shocks :)

So all in all £ 113 well spent :)

http://www.avouk.com/

heres a pic, they have been on for a week or two and have seen alot of off roads ;)

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep the best thing is you can adjust them to suit your ride :)

very good, im well pleased :) i didnt even need to jack it up, just crawled undernieh, its like a cave underthere !

G

·
The ones I got didnt need an allen key - I have a thumb wheel...

I have mine set at about 8 clicks from softest, out of 12 or 15 iirc.

Agree about the extra grip...

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guydewdney said:
The ones I got didnt need an allen key - I have a thumb wheel...

I have mine set at about 8 clicks from softest, out of 12 or 15 iirc.

Agree about the extra grip...
on mine you insert a allen key and there are the 12-15 clicks.

i have it on click one on the - setting, to see how it goes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Brian,

can you post a how too?
i live in northmpton so am going to pop in and purchase some too :lol:

thanks

G

·
quite seriously, if you need a how to - then you cant fit these..

Its sooooooo simple - just lie under the back axle, undo the four bolts (one at each end of the shocks) pull off, put new ones on, do bolts back up.

total time - 10 minutes.

tools needed - 2 spanners or sockets (no extention needed) (cant remember sizes - somthing like 17 and 19, but might be 19 and 21 one end is bigger than the other) blanket (to lie on). Washing upo liquid to clean hands after. Rag maybe to wipe off crud on nuts....

G

·
so am i correct in saying that the nearside shock behind the rear axle and the offside in front of the rear axle shocks are the ones you replaced?....did it really make a dramatic difference to the rear end in terms of reducing 'bounce' ...

·
Registered
279 Posts
i know it is a straight forward job, but it is things like this that make up a great "how to" section. and if there are any trick to make it easy everybody benafits :lol:

G

·
yes - a serious difference to the 'bounce'. Grip is improved - I have to drive like a **** now to get the back end to slide (full throttle, wet road, full lock in an auto)

yes - the shocks are the ones in front and behind...

They are there as dampers.... leaf springs have some damping, the more leafs, the more damping. BUT - they have a LOT of "stiction" that sort of grabby friction you get as you just try to move somthing. so therefore you dont want many leaves.... but then you have no damping - hence the solution - a few leaves (gives increased spring rate at higher loads - basically stiffer springs the more you lob on the back) - but additional dampers as well.

Unless you are nissan, and cant design a shock to save your lives..

Air springs ordered for me... :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sent them a Fax over the Weekend and they Phoned me the Monday Morning, they knew exactly what i wanted as they are selling more and more to Navara Owners.

I have mine set on super soft, the rer end doesnt skip about like Skippy on Speed anymore. :)

As for a HOW TO DO IT, it really was so easy ill take a few pics of the underneath so people can see.

you don't need a jack, all you need is a socket set and a nice blanket to lay on.
Don't do it on a sunny day as i spent more time sun bathing than i did undoing nuts :lol:

I don't normally carry out work on vehicles i either

1: Get one of the engineers to do it
2: Take it to the dealer to do it
3: Don't bother to do it

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
8) 8)

·
Registered
279 Posts
thanks for the pic Brian, i will be getting some of these lot of my time is spent on b roads and if they knock out lots of the small bumps that can only be a good thing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
theres no doupt about it, on fully soft wetting, loads of the little bumps and rear jitters are gone :) Happy days

1 - 20 of 31 Posts