Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Navara D40 2010 (late model) Manual 2.5 190
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Long time lurker here, many thanks for the forum - the information has helped me (and my wallet) with the many and various issues we Navara owners happily deal with every day (still wouldn't drive anything else!)

I have had a search for this but could not come up with much, and I am hoping someone might be able to help -

Currently diagnosing some interesting noises coming from the auxiliary belt. The noise has developed from a screech on start up to less of a screech with lots of randomly placed knocking noises, on inspection it seems to be either the automatic tensioner or the alternator (the belt is in good condition, changed <1 year ago along with the idler pulley which had developed a squeal). I popped the belt off and checked both, the tensioner had some lateral play (~1-2mm on the outside edges) on the pulley, so I popped it off and replaced it with a new pulley/bearing... which also had the same amount of play. I repeated the process with another washer added to the bolt in case it was not quite clamping the pulley on to the tensioner tightly enough but it is still the same. Could anyone tell me if it is normal to have this play on the pulley? With the pulley off and a finger jammed through, there is virtually no play at on the bearing so I have a feeling it may not be seating on the tensioner itself, possible wear to the shaft?

The alternator pulley/clutch seems to operate ok, but there is a point when it is freewheeling where a squeak can be heard from the pulley - could that be a sign it is wearing out? I can hear it when driving occasionally, it sounds like a mouse has entered the engine and managed to emit half a squeak before being violently consumed.

·
Administrator
12,348 Posts
Have you tried to see if there is any roughness in the idler or alternator bearings with the belt off?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both seem smooth, apart from the slight squeak on the alternator pulley all the bearings seem to be OK - it is the overall lateral play on the tensioner pulley that is throwing me off as it just doesn't seem right (lateral play as in grab the pulley when it is bolted to the tensioner assembly and you can "wobble" the outside edges in and out a couple of mm)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had similar symptms and noises last year and with a second set of eyes found it was the alternator pully, mine would squeal on start up then stop after a few revs. It slowly took longer for it to clear up. I found it buy having my mate turn the truck off whilst I was under the bonnet, with the engine stopped the pully would stop but the alternator shaft would still spin and grumble on for a second or two. Cant comment on the pully play you have, but might be worth having two sets of eyes if you can.
Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did end up being the alternator - testing on the vehicle it seemed OK but I opted to change it anyway. When grabbing the pulley of the existing unit you could pull the alternator shaft in and out by a few mm whereas the recon unit had zero play. Recon unit now installed and everything seems happy again.

In regard to the play on the automatic tensioner pulley - I spoke to Milner Offroad who where kind enough to check a new unit and it seems that these units do have a mm or so play on the outside edges even when new.

Thanks for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts