Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Fellas,

As I'm getting really cheesed off at the Government and the fuel companies playing twiddle winks with the fuel prices I thought about making bio-diesel.

I had planned on purchasing pure canola oil in 1000lt containers and I suppose a 20 lt drum of methanol and a sealed bag of caustic soda. All the above are easily procurable here in Oz.
Now the question is, What effect would the biodiesel have on the ZD30 diesel. The Navara has clicked over 250,000 km but still runs sweetly.

Are all the fuel lines, seals etc manufactured from Vitron which is impervious to methanol.
As I manufacture alcohol (The Irish Cream is delightful) i have no problem witht the mechanics of making the bio-diesel.
Can you lads see any problems?

·
Administrator
11,567 Posts
A couple of thoughts...

The fuel pump is known to fail on these, perhaps moving to 100% bio will make it worse?
The engine was much more common in the Patrol, it might be worth looking at the Patrol forums too.
Your diesel prices in Oz are fairly low compared to much of the world. $1.50 per litre.

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
There are a number of people in the Patrol world using alternative fuels, including biodiesel, with mixed success.

I’ve not heard of anyone making their own.

Most of them find that the time, setup costs, storage constraints, extra maintenance, and requirement to return home for fuel, more than outweigh the raw material cost savings. I mean if it was cheaper to use canola oil and caustic soda, surely Mr BP would be doing that rather than building £1bn oil rigs in the frozen North Sea?

I wish you luck though!

·
Administrator
11,567 Posts
It isn't so much what Mr BP does, it is the amount that the governments take in tax. Even then I wonder if you can buy Canola (Rapeseed) oil cheaper than straight diesel?

In the UK people used make bio diesel from waste cooking oil as you could (a few years ago) get it for free. If you had a solid mercedes diesel from the 70's you could even run a used oil/diesel mix without the caustic soda treatment.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It isn't so much what Mr BP does, it is the amount that the governments take in tax. Even then I wonder if you can buy Canola (Rapeseed) oil cheaper than straight diesel?

In the UK people used make bio diesel from waste cooking oil as you could (a few years ago) get it for free. If you had a solid mercedes diesel from the 70's you could even run a used oil/diesel mix without the caustic soda treatment.
25-40 % of UK rapeseed oil already goes into diesel . as it is blended (however does cause issues as its hydroscopic and sucks in moisture so filters clog sooner. One of the joys of diesels is the range of fuels they will run on anything from jet fuel up to light engine oil but not so much with modern diesels as the HP pumps with CR engines dont like it (although Jet fuel is fine ) You wont get Rapeseed oil in IBCs for less than £1/litre so I fail to see how it would stack up in the UK let alone where fuel is somewhat cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
The high cost of fuel in the uk is down to tax
Look at the price of gas oil 79p per liter and even at that im sure theyll be getting there cut.
There was a guy on youtube that filtered the red dye out of gas oil but that doesnt work anymore because they do a road side chemical test now

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The high cost of fuel in the uk is down to tax
Look at the price of gas oil 79p per liter and even at that im sure theyll be getting there cut.
There was a guy on youtube that filtered the red dye out of gas oil but that doesnt work anymore because they do a road side chemical test now
The dye has always been a warning to the driver not to make mistakes when fuelling . the content of your tank can be any colour as long as they dont detect the chemical marker ,which cannot be removed and is the only difference between Gas oil and standard road diesel.. Funnily enough Kerosene has no dye added but is equally illegal to use as road fuel and is marked as such on the delivery ticket. Having recently spoken to a guy in IT you would be frightened by how much targeting is going on with individuals who use illegal road fuels by simply cross referencing vehicle mileage againt fuel purchased. HMRC has access to all the data they need and most people caught nowadays are from flagged up usage and very few from true spot checks.

There is duty on Gas oil (red) about 12p/litre and many will be shocked that Heating oil (kerosene ) also has duty at 11p/litre. Im afraid to the garages that sell it Gas oil is a nice little earner we are paying 56p/litre having taken a tanker load yesterday (dropped about 6p on the week).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of thoughts...

The fuel pump is known to fail on these, perhaps moving to 100% bio will make it worse?
The engine was much more common in the Patrol, it might be worth looking at the Patrol forums too.
Your diesel prices in Oz are fairly low compared to much of the world. $1.50 per litre.
I understand that you think that diesel fuel prices in Oz are cheap but when you consider the distances between A and B the cost per litre is a big factor.
I sometimes go out to Charleville (from Brisbane) and the trip is about 10-12 hrs one way. Almost two tanks of fuel. So the round trip including driving around the mates sheep station in high 4wd would consume about four tanks of diesel. So the average cost is about AUD360.00 to 400.00. Not a cheap exercise.
I am still keen to get a still u and running. As I make moonshine the biodiesel is a less complicated process. (Check out "Journey To Forever".
So any advice, good bad or indifferent I will gladly accept.
I was thinking of setting up a you tube channel on how to do it. Yes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that you think that diesel fuel prices in Oz are cheap but when you consider the distances between A and B the cost per litre is a big factor.
I sometimes go out to Charleville (from Brisbane) and the trip is about 10-12 hrs one way. Almost two tanks of fuel. So the round trip including driving around the mates sheep station in high 4wd would consume about four tanks of diesel. So the average cost is about AUD360.00 to 400.00. Not a cheap exercise.
I am still keen to get a still u and running. As I make moonshine the biodiesel is a less complicated process. (Check out "Journey To Forever".
So any advice, good bad or indifferent I will gladly accept.
I was thinking of setting up a you tube channel on how to do it. Yes?
The learned mechanic that I go to with issues that I can;t solve has not mentioned anything about fuel pumps failing. I'll ask him again!

·
Administrator
11,567 Posts
It is just that we do get a number of ZD30 owners on here having fuel pump issues. Whether bio diesel will make it worse, I have no idea.

This thread went a bit off topic, but essentially if you can make bio diesel for less than the pump price for conventional diesel, go for it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a book ages ago on how to do it-the only side effects if I remember rightly are that the fuel filter ought to be changed more often as it can 'grow' bacteria. Might be wrong and don't quote me on this-and if you run a mix of your own and bought should've thought it even better. Great idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts