Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Nav & running it on Bio Diesel .

Cost is 80p/litre inc VAT or if you are using for offroad eg plant or Ag then its 59p/litre ,it doesn't have to be died so you can use it in your road going vehicles.

Anyone else using Bio in any vehicle ?

Nav runs fine as well as wifes CLK 270D

Am I right in saying you can get Bio fuel at the pumps in Europe ?

Any Europeans got any feedback ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted a question ages ago on here asking if anyone was running bio, I used to run my old VW Passat on Bio. How is yours running and what was nissans word on running it on Bio as all I have ever found from nissan on it was that you cant run Bio through the Nav. Any one on here provide any help?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only got the Nav & Bio this week ,runs realyt well.

Nissan say no in the handbook but most fuel at the pumps has a % of Bio any way.

I am going to run it & see.

In Europe you can buy Bio Fuel at the pumps & I am sure the Nav engines are the same.

We will wait & see what comes on this forum.

G

·
the issue with bio - annoyingly, is with new high performance diesel fuel pumps...

the pumps use the fuel as a lubricant, and bio doesnt have the same properties - so it works fine, then the pump blows up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
guydewdney said:
the issue with bio - annoyingly, is with new high performance diesel fuel pumps...

the pumps use the fuel as a lubricant, and bio doesnt have the same properties - so it works fine, then the pump blows up.
Everything I read and was told by the supplier of Bio that I used to use in my Passat indicated that Bio had better lubricating properties than petro diesel. To back up wht rugbyman sain about Bio in europe. In a few EU countries Bio is becoming very wide spread I have mates in Germany who use only bio and can buy it and VW germany will warrant the new Pumpe Dusse engines on Bio wher VW Uk wont and they are the same engines. Case in point VW sent 3 Tourage all modern High pressure diesel engines from Alaska to Argentina using only Bio Diesel that they could source locally in each country. Personally I think its laziness on behalf of the Car manufactures in the UK not wanting to warrant the alternative fuel source. They have to in other countries so why not here?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A TECNO BOD AT iVECO SAYS THAT RUNNING YOUR VEHICLE ON BIO IS LIKE SMOKING IT BLOCK THE PUMPS ARTERIES !!!!!!!

CAN YOU FIND ANY GERMAN NAV USERS WHO USE BIO ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rugbyman said:
A TECNO BOD AT iVECO SAYS THAT RUNNING YOUR VEHICLE ON BIO IS LIKE SMOKING IT BLOCK THE PUMPS ARTERIES !!!!!!!

CAN YOU FIND ANY GERMAN NAV USERS WHO USE BIO ?
MMMM very strange.

I have not heard back from any of my mates in Germany who drive various cars (none nav unfortunatley) but I have found a Nissan press release from the Nissan Global website dated 18 April 2007 and released in the US, the interesting part is

"Nissan already has clean diesel engines in Europe offering significant fuel efficiency and the ability to run on bio-diesel fuel blends. Together, this combination reduces CO2 emissions and dependence on pure petroleum-based fuels. During the first half of fiscal year 2007, Nissan will introduce the new Euro 4-compliant, two-liter-class diesel engine in Europe. By fiscal year 2010, Nissan will launch vehicles with clean diesel engines in Japan, the United States and China."

full press release here

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/20 ... -02-e.html

Now forgive me if I am being thick but isnt the statement above the exact opposite of what Nissan UK tells us!!! I have read loads of BioFuel forum stuff and all of them have said that a mix of BioDiesel and petro diesel is safe in any diesel engine, and all the big fuel sellers are slowly moving to a blended mix at the pump in the UK. Let alone on the Continent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Ray for the info .

The guy who supplies me has 3 cars & they all have done 200'000 miles on Bio,but when it comes to new engines I am a little concerned .

·
Registered
976 Posts
from what i understand bio's cold flow and lube properties are directly related to what the orignal plant oil it comes from.

you really need to know what oils its based on. you could alwasy put a bit of deisel lube in the tank ie the stuff you use when your useing new low sulpher deisel on old deisels which require high sulphur fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rugbyman hi
Very interested to hear that you are running your D40 on bio-diesel. I have tried Nissan a number of times about this and keep being fed the official line that it is a no go.

What sort of bio are you using? And in what sort of ratios? A mate with a D22 has happily been running his on a recycled chip oil + splash of methanol diet for 18 months with no problem.

I am just very concerned about trying to use the stuff only to be faced with a huge fuel pump / injector bill.

Also, which supplier do you use?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

·
Registered
224 Posts
first reply on the d40 board, but i've been making and using my own bio for around 5 years. i've done around 8000 in my d22 and she still runs ok. me mate who i make it with has done around 15000 in his d22. we took his injectors off last week when we did a big end bearing change and had them tested.- came back fine, no work carried out on them.

richard.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
wish i could make my own bio derv, as we get through about 40 gallons a week between us.

·
Registered
224 Posts
3ltr bottle of vegoil from asda

500ml of model engine fuel from a model shop (methanol)

14gms of causic soda (b&q)

mix caustic soda and methanol together until dissovled.

pour out 500ml of vegoil out of the bottle and replace with the methanol/soda.

shake of roll about for 10 mins (the bottle not you) and let sit for an hour.

bottom dark layer is glycerene, top **** coloured layer is bio.

its a start, you can scale up from that using waste vegoil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bio fuel

Just picked up my new Navara in Adelaide Australia. Service manager told me not to use biodiesel under any circumstances as it would damage the injector pump. Also pointed out that Nissan viewed it as contaminated fuel which would not be covered under warranty. I think biodiesel in Australia may be poor quality compared to Europe as it seems not to be very commonly available.

Grant

·
Registered
19 Posts
Biodiesel ratios

From what I recall, Germany and other European countries are allowed to sell blended biodiesel without even telling the public, but its a mix of 95% mineral diesel and 5% bio.
This low ratio is allowed by Nissan
Some filling station do offer 100% biodiesel from oil seed rape, but it'll be at the expense of your warranty

From this bio-diesel website
In reality, the rule of thumb is you can use 100% biodiesel in any diesel built between 1990-2004, but be aware that a one-off fuel filter change will be needed after you first make the transition (and any mix of biodiesel and fossil diesel is OK too). I would recommend that cars built after 2004 should run on a 50% blend not 100%
If you're saving 10p or 20p per litre, you gotta get through a lot of this to save enough to pay for one new injector pump and/or a rebuild!
Then there's the cost of a week without your truck
Is it worth it yet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts