Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning on the motorway during a tight turn suddenly I get thet heart sinking sound of a failing wheel bearing!
Which rapidly turned into vibration through the steeringwheel (20/30seconds) and before I could get to the next junction (about 1 mile) a screech had developed and intermittently steering pulling right!
So I stop and im immediately greeted by the smell of hot brakes!
I've give the wheel a good yank and there's no movement while the weights still on the wheel, but the brake disk has a visible band of about an inch on the outer edge of the outer face that looks rough!
Could this still be a wheel bearing that spontaneously failed or something brake related?
The brake pads and disks were replaced about 8kmiles ago!
Also something I noticed is at low speed when braking to stop the abs is pulsing even though the tyres are definitely not skidding!
I've managed to limp it into work but my problem now is I'm 12 miles from home and I'm not sure if it's safe to attempt to drive it home?

Wouldn't mind a bad wheel bearing either but that's only about 15kmiles old!!

·
Administrator
15,137 Posts
It does sound like a wheel bearing failure.

No, not safe to drive 12 miles.
Have you got breakdown cover? If so I would get them to recover it to home,, obviously take it out of the car park at work!

·
Administrator
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not got brake down cover !
Thinking im going to need it though! lol
Can't believe how it could just let go so suddenly without any warning when it's only little over a year old!

·
Administrator
15,137 Posts
You never get much warning, there are a couple of theories..

Wider tyres putting more strain on the bearings.
Grease getting washed out of the bearing by wading.

·
Administrator
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be it then! 🤔
She has got 285/45/22 boots on!

·
Administrator
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when I finished work I jacked the wheel up and ....oh yes that wheel bearing has flown the coupe!
The wheel rocks about an inch each way!!!
I phoned greenflag to enquire about membership/recovery and there talking 3-5 hours and £120 to recover! So **** that I've got a mate to come pick me up and left the truck at work!
Fortunately my depot has a fully equipped garage so I'm gona get the parts I need ordered in through Andrew page and I'll stay back after work tomorrow and fix it!

·
Administrator
15,137 Posts
After having had a couple fail, I used to carry a spare hub and a 32mm in the truck.
Of course I never had a problem after that.

·
Administrator
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After having had a couple fail, I used to carry a spare hub and a 32mm in the truck.
Of course I never had a problem after that.
Thats a good idea! but yeah it would be sods law that won't have any more problems lol

·
Super Moderator
356 Posts
Yep, I'd be more than happy to never have another wheel bearing issue when carrying a spare. It's like when you used to be able to keep a cam belt in the boot on a 'non interference' engine. Guaranteed to never have a belt fail...fine by me 🙂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts