Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping this is going to be something obvious but knowing my luck :)

The old Navara is popping brake light fuses like they are going out of fasion. I have replaced 5 in the last 2 weeks and now they are only lasting an hour at most.

Its got a tow hitch and the associated electrics that have never been used, I was thinking this may be a suspect? But thats a total guess.

Has anyone heard of or know anything obvious thats making them blow before the thing goes in the Garage?

Thanks...

Paul

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Could well be the towing electrics, theres nothing common that can cause the fuse to blow, you will just have a look around for a short somewere, don't forget to check the back of the bulb holders and follow the wireing loom back to the relay box and look for any signes of abrasion

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
It could be the element in one of the bulbs has broken and re-connected thereby altering its resistance to a dead short/high resistance which in turn draws more current.

Try taking the bulbs out of both sides and put a new fuse in. Then depress the brake pedal (no need to turn on the ignition :mrgreen:) and see if the fuse blows. This then confirms that the fixed wiring of the truck is ok. Can you unplug the tow bar wiring to eliminate that as well?

Electrical fault finding is a simple task of breaking the circuit down in to sections to identify the fault.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
99 percent sure it will be water/***** in the tow bar socket...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark. said:
It could be the element in one of the bulbs has broken and re-connected thereby altering its resistance to a dead short/high resistance which in turn draws more current.

Try taking the bulbs out of both sides and put a new fuse in. Then depress the brake pedal (no need to turn on the ignition :mrgreen:) and see if the fuse blows. This then confirms that the fixed wiring of the truck is ok. Can you unplug the tow bar wiring to eliminate that as well?

Electrical fault finding is a simple task of breaking the circuit down in to sections to identify the fault.

Turns out you were spot on with this one.....

Stripped both light clusters out and cleaned all the connections and re-terminated all the tow bar electrics (which were coroded) and the fuse still went!

Got the bulbs which looked and tested fine but when I flicked one of them one of the filaments would bounce across and touch the other one!!!

A whole 80p to fix :D Thanks lads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turns out you were spot on with this one.....

Stripped both light clusters out and cleaned all the connections and re-terminated all the tow bar electrics (which were coroded) and the fuse still went!

Got the bulbs which looked and tested fine but when I flicked one of them one of the filaments would bounce across and touch the other one!!!

A whole 80p to fix :D Thanks lads.

When a guy 12 years ago has the same problem as you on an old former thread saves you from breaking your truck for parts 😅
If anyone else has this problem check your bulbs! I'd had my dash out 2 days before and the weekend before worried in new towing electrics and some spot lights. So I was st my wits end thinking of all the possible causes. Pretty obvious now in hindsight but hey...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts